Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeing large amounts of food make me feel sick

I'm in the middle of my 7th week post-op and back on solid food. I've gone to Jason's Deli a couple of times to have a cup of Soup for lunch.< /p>

Just looking at all the food on everyone's plate makes me feel sick. It's really strange. I just can't stop wondering how they can eat so much at one time. :( I don't know how my mind has changed the way it sees food so quickly.

Anyone else have this problem? I live alone so I really don't see others eating unless I go out for a meal.

Yeah, it's like changed my whole outlook on food and portions. I'm at about six weeks out from surgery and after I healed and started cooking for my family again I have started dishing them smaller portions cause even normal ones just seem like too much.

I wish I had this problem. Those images entice me just as before. You were meant to succeed.

Went to Chicago last weekend (never been) with my sons hockey team. We went to Portillo's where I saw char grilled polish sausages and dipped italian beef sandwiches... also went to Giorodano's for some Chicago pizza. I was good, I ate 1/2 cup of chili at Portillo's and one meatball at Giorodano's... but the entire time I'm thinking of how good the other food looks. I too wish I had your problem, lol.

Yeah, I had that same feeling as well a couple of weeks ago when I went out of town to be with friends for Halloween. I live alone as well and pretty much cook my own meals now all portion sized for me. While I was with my friends we went out to eat every night, and the portion size of a "normal" plate just boggled my mind. My friends were used to sharing their leftovers with me off their plate, but this time I could barely even finish what was on my plate.

Doesn't bother me.

What other folks eat is of no concern to me.

It actually makes me crazy how much food restaurants put on our plates. We wonder why/how we got here.

I do not understand why they don't make the portions smaller and charge a little less. Yes, I get that they are worried about turning enough tables to make their businesses profitable but I have to believe this somehow needs to be regulated.

My husband finds it necessary to finish what is on his plate and then because I can only eat a very small amount he sometimes goes after mine. I have had to get very on purpose about getting to go containers when I am served my meal so he doesn't eat two meals. We share when it makes sense but most of the time we do not make the same choices. I make healthy choices and he does not.

I am very worried for his health and usually refrain from eating out because of it but of course you cannot always do that. I guess the good news is, we never ever ever eat at fast food dumps any longer at least not if I am with him.

Early on post op I would get grossed out and nauseated if a lot of food was on my plate. This would happen at restaurants. In the beginning I would order my own entree so I would have leftovers or my husband could eat it later. However, the sight of all that food on my plate would take away my appetite. So I began just nibbling off my husbands plate so I wouldn't have a huge portion sitting in front of me.

It didn't last forever. I am 17 months post op and large amounts of food does not gross me out. Of course I can eat more now than at the beginning.

Hopefully it will pass for you.

I am 9 months post op and it still freaks me out to see how much food people can eat at one time. I think to myself: I once ate even more than that.

Doesn't bother me.

It's not that I care about how much anyone else is eating. It physically makes me feel sick to look at it. It's a minor problem and I'm sure it will pass. Just seems strange to me.

My husband had RNY 9 years ago. I remember him saying one time while we were out to dinner how he couldn't believe how much people could eat, including me. It wasn't a derogatory statement by any means, and I didn't take it that way at all. He was just surprised by the sheer PORTIONS of food us "normals" could eat in a sitting.

Now that I've had surgery, I can totally relate. It really is amazing how little food we actually need to survive and thrive!

I am with you. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I hated being judged when I ate too much, i don't like being questioned about the way I eat now and so I really have the attitude that it is not my business.

Restaurant portions are ridiculous. I always get either a small appetizer or share a meal.

Doesn't bother me.

I don't care about other people at all, ever really.

I really don't want to be one of those former fat people that is a raging asshole. Former fat people are the meanest people to fat people and I want to avoid that at all costs.

I just want to say once again to be clear that I am not judging what other are eating. I was just shocked that it actually makes me feel ill to look at that much food. I used to love to eat sandwiches from Jason's deli but now, the sight of them repulses me.

Seeing other people's portions doesn't make me physically sick, but it does fascinate me that I used to be able to eat that much in a sitting and more an hour later. I mean, it utterly FASCINATES me.

I love Jason's Deli. My kids and I go every other week or so and I really try not to be an assh*le, but internally, I guess I am just wired that way. HA! I definitely don't *JUDGE* anyone for their choices, but I can't help but look on in wonderment at what some people can consume.

Their baked potatoes are easily the size of a football and then topped with mounds of stuff. The sandwiches are at least a pound of meat plus cheese, fixings and a side. When I see someone finishing off both, I can't help but be grateful that I made this choice because there is no way my body was meant to consume that much food in a sitting but I was well on my way.