Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cleared for regular food

Ok im just trying to get a clear understanding, i plan on meal prepping but there will be a day that im in a pinch and may have to stop for something fast and was jist curious about some of the decisions i can make..don't want to harm my sleeve in any way

Like someone said you will find your own personal limits. My only restriction is milk right now because I became lactose intolerant after surgery. Everything else that I have tried has not made me sick.

Yes…tons of restrictions! But first, congrats on being cleared for regular food. That sure feels and tastes good!

The first thing is to listen to your body. Only try one new food at a time, and only have a little at a time, and see how your sleeve reacts.

Since you have the sleeve and likely can’t eat too much at one time, the most important thing to do first is eat your Protein, like tuna, chicken, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and fat-free cheese. Then there are fruits and veggies – go for easier ones first, like cooked veggies and super ripe (soft) melon. You can add in healthy starches like oatmeal.

Restrictions: of course, the foods that may have been problems in the first place…high-calorie foods like sweets and fatty foods…pizza, brownies, Pasta, chips…you may be able to have tiny amounts later on, but you’re safest not having them now.

Also, even some healthy foods are a little harder to handle at the beginning. Raw veggies are tough, especially fibrous ones like asparagus. Nuts and seeds, and fruit with peel or seeds, are hard. Also, acidic foods like citrus fruits and tomatoes may rub you the wrong way.

Congrats again, and good luck! Let us know how you’re doing!

Yes…tons of restrictions! But first, congrats on being cleared for regular food. That sure feels and tastes good!

The first thing is to listen to your body. Only try one new food at a time, and only have a little at a time, and see how your sleeve reacts.

Since you have the sleeve and likely can’t eat too much at one time, the most important thing to do first is eat your Protein, like tuna, chicken, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and fat-free cheese. Then there are fruits and veggies – go for easier ones first, like cooked veggies and super ripe (soft) melon. You can add in healthy starches like oatmeal.< /p>

Restrictions: of course, the foods that may have been problems in the first place…high-calorie foods like sweets and fatty foods…pizza, brownies, Pasta, chips…you may be able to have tiny amounts later on, but you’re safest not having them now.

Also, even some healthy foods are a little harder to handle at the beginning. Raw veggies are tough, especially fibrous ones like asparagus. Nuts and seeds, and fruit with peel or seeds, are hard. Also, acidic foods like citrus fruits and tomatoes may rub you the wrong way.

I feel myself waking up with panic attacks. Is that normal?

If you are a person who is has issues with anxiety and/or panic attacks then any sort of stressful situation can trigger them. Having to relearn to eat, especially if you are a food addict or used to comforting yourself with food can certainly be a stressful situation.

Since you have the sleeve and likely can’t eat too much at one time, the most important thing to do first is eat your Protein, like tuna, chicken, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, and fat-free cheese. Then there are fruits and veggies – go for easier ones first, like cooked veggies and super ripe (soft) melon. You can add in healthy starches like oatmeal.

No. I'd talk to a therapist and your surgeon about this.

No. I'd talk to a therapist and your surgeon about this.

I have they want me on medicine, but im afraid of the side effects and what could happen down the road, i swear it seems like im such a rare case with these symptons after surgery

Could the side effects of the meds be any worse than how you are currently feeling? Why not try them and if things don't improve then you could stop them. You aren't the only one to have these issues post op, but they won't change unless you do something other than post on the forums.

Could the side effects of the meds be any worse than how you are currently feeling? Why not try them and if things don't improve then you could stop them. You aren't the only one to have these issues post op, but they won't change unless you do something other than post on the forums.

I post to see of others relate and can offer suggestions..

The suggestion is try taking the meds.

For me the only food restrictions I have are self imposed. I don't eat much bread, white rice, regular Pasta, crackers, etc... I'm vegetarian so I don't eat beef, poultry, fish or pork but everything I like I can eat with no problems. I don't eat a lot of processed foods or fast foods. Spicy foods are no trouble. I put hot sauce on darn near everything

When were you able to tolerate hot sauce?

Think of the restrictions as stemming from your new intelligence about and dedication to healthy eating rather than as something that is in place because you've had a surgery. For sleevers, I second all the posts above that point out that there really are very few things that don't work when enjoyed in an acceptable portion. Starches and other carbs are the biggest problems because these foods expand in the sleeve, cause bloating, and take up room that needs to be used for critical Protein and other nutrients. And, as always, they will stall weight loss because your body uses them instead of burning fats. "Restrictions," once you are where you are, is really about how far you want to go with your tool. Like any tool, you can opt not to use it for its purpose. Just eat what feels right and makes you feel right afterward, and keep track of what foods tend to increase your weight loss and which ones tend to slow it. It won't be the same for everybody.

Ok im just trying to get a clear understanding, i plan on meal prepping but there will be a day that im in a pinch and may have to stop for something fast and was jist curious about some of the decisions i can make..don't want to harm my sleeve in any way

Chick Fil A grilled chicken nuggets are awesome...well they were pre op and I just started my "regular foods" today so I hope I still like them, but like you said in a pinch that will be my go to!

Egg drop was on my allowed for Clear Liquids, and it made me so happy to eat it! Hot and sour often has tofu (which I don't really like, but it's okay in tiny cubes in the soup) and is tangy. Other than that, I would suggest egg foo yung, which is sort of omelet-like, and things that are simple stirfried meats with simple veggies that are not fiberous. Pumpkin/squash/sweet potato are easier to eat than broccoli. :-) And like I said, I got creative and ate the inside of the pot sticker. As a warning, though, when I tried to eat the outside, I ended up getting sick and barfing -- the Gummy texture of the dough was just too much.

So if i ordered a turkeyclub ..and removed the bread i would be ok?