Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get insurance to pay for plastic surgery

Two words: breast cancer. Well, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. Now that I am close to my self-imposed goal, I have been thinking a lot on how to pay for a Tummy Tuck and new breasts. The arms would be nice too, but I can live with them. Last month a had my yearly mammogram and, long story short, found out last week I have breast cancer. It's in the very early stages, so I am sure I will have many, many years to enjoy my new, thin self, but what the @#$&! It did come as a blow.

I have genetic testing today for the BRCA 1 and 2 gene -- if I have that, then for sure I need a double mastectomy and my ovaries removed. But the standard treatment for what they know I have now is lumpectomy and radiation. But the thing is, my big weight loss will make a lumpectomy risky -- to get big enough margins, they would have to take a lot out and I have very little breast tissue left! Even doing the biopsies was a challenge -- the hollow core needles were bigger than me! Who knew, under the obesity a very petite women was hiding! So, I am meeting with a plastic surgeon on Monday. Looks like I may have a double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. They said they would use my excess abdominal tissue. If I do that, I will not need radiation, which is a plus, but it is a much bigger surgery. I asked if this would be a true tummy tuck and they said yes. I'll get more info on Monday, but maybe this is the silver lining in a very dark cloud.

I will also add a NSV here. Since all this started on Sept 29th, I have stuck to my healthy eating plan. I was very tempted to bury myself in a loaf of bread or, "gasp", Bagels (my former nemesis), but I'm staying true to myself. I've waited all my life to enjoy this new body - I'm not going to backslide now. I have to be extra careful -- after the surgery, there will have to be a long hiatus from they gym.

Ellen

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My mother is a 16 year breast cancer survivor, and they've come a long way in treatment since then. Best wishes and good health!

Sorry about your diagnosis. Good for you on finding a silver lining in all of this. Sending you good prayers/wishes/vibes for a speedy recovery

Sorry about your diagnosis. Congratulations on your weightloss. Yay you for having such a positive attitude! I'll be praying for you.

Oh, Dear......I can't imagine how you feel. Hugs from Chicago.

Thank you all for the encouragement. Its been a long day of work and doctor's appointments -- I'm not quite as upbeat as I was early this morning :blink:

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.