Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a desk job and was wondering how soon after the sleeve until I can return to work? I don't want to take to much time off since no one knows I having the surgery.

Hi @@megieg

I have an office job as well...

I was sleeved on the Wednesday, released from hospital on Saturday and had the entire following week off...

I had no pain and no problems and feel I could have returned to work on the Monday rather than taking the extra week...

Of course, this isn't for everyone, but assuming things go as smoothly for you as they did for me, I'd say an early return to work is possible..

Your best bet is to talk to your surgeon...

And remember, this is some pretty serious surgery, no matter how pain free and relatively easy the recovery is (for lucky ones like me)...

Good luck with it all..

Kinda..

Surgery on Friday, back to work the next Thursday. Active, physical job that involves walking, squatting, kneeling and lifting 10+ hours/ day.

I hd surgery on a Friday in Mexico and came home Sunday night and was back to work on Monday.

Depends on the person and whether or not they bounce back quickly. Some folks can go back in a week, others need more time. Think about how you tend to recoop from illneses and judge accordingly.

I tried to go back to my desk job after two weeks but the moment I did I experienced nausea and loose BM'S for that entire week and then some. Everyone thought I went back to work too early... which now I believe them. Today is 4 week post op and am going back to work gradually ( like work my way up to 8 hours again)

I also nurse on the side - if I was full time nursing I wouldn't be thinking of going back to work for at least a couple more weeks.

Good luck and hopefully all goes smoothly

Edited by heather5565

I am 12 days post-op and feel that I could have gone back to work today, but I am still on liquids and in two days, I am going to soft foods where I have heard that I could increase the puke and diarrhea opportunities, so I am staying off until I can master a couple of foods to get me by.

I am a bedside nurse and plan on taking 3-4 weeks off. I currently am 6 days postop.

I need to be able to get more calories in so I can make it through a 12 hour shift.

Edited by HealthyRN

I had surgery on a Monday and went back to work the following Monday. I have a desk job. I was a little tired and still a little sore the first couple days but as long as you don't have to do anything to physically strenuous.....of course everyone is different.

Each person recovers differently. I bounce back from surgery well and knew that going in. Little pain and no nausea. Have had no issues with drinking or eating.

I had surgery on the 6th and started working from home on the 8th. I'm 2 weeks out now and would say I'm ready to go back into the office, but have taken a 3rd week to deal with some low blood sugar issues before commuting next week. I still put in a normal 8 to 5 day of meetings, calls, projects, etc.

I needed that first week to get my routine down - what I can eat, when, etc. with the flexibility of being at home. I also got to wear sweats :-)

No one at works knows I had this done either. I had a hernia repair - true - which is what they know. I say take at least a week for yourself to get the basics down. It will serve you well for the rest of it. I think anyway being a newbie and all in a way what do I know LOL!

Good luck!

I'm a manufacturing supervisor and work 13 hour shifts.

I had a sleeve and an abdominal hernia repair.

I'm taking 3 weeks to heal and then I'll be going back to the job. Looking forward to it. Gonna need some new clothes by then, too.

What has been said is pretty much spot on - everyone is different. I only want to mention one thing that hasn't been said yet:

Get right with your meds before going back. I work an office job as well, but I was still taking blood pressure medicine after surgery. I should not have been though. My BP was very low, not quite in the dangerous area, but low enough that I was a zombie and my work that first week was less than my best. People were coming up to me constantly asking if I was alright and checking up on me throughout the day. If you value your privacy and personal space as I do, then this is of course the last thing you want to deal with.

I returned to the office after 3 weeks. I started doing work from home after 2 weeks. I also have a desk job.

I probably could have gone back after 2 weeks but frankly, I preferred working out what I could or couldn't eat from home where I had a better chance of success. And I was also monitoring my medications and blood sugars (diabetic) and that was also easier from home.

CJ

As others have said above, everyone heals differently. I took 5 days off work and then realized I needed a few more and took 3 additional days off. I work a desk job as well and was fine to go back after that. Just listen to your body. You will know when you are ready.

I'm a manufacturing supervisor and work 13 hour shifts.

I had a sleeve and an abdominal hernia repair.

I'm taking 3 weeks to heal and then I'll be going back to the job. Looking forward to it. Gonna need some new clothes by then, too.

Before becoming a nurse I worked in manufacturing and was on the floor as a supervisor and loved it!

I went to my postop appointment yesterday and told them I would like my return to work date to be Nov 10th. So that will end up being almost 4 weeks out. The thought of new clothes excites me, but I wear scrubs and think I will wait they were pretty tight going into surgery.