Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with the liquid diet numbers game

Hey guys, I could use some help! I'm 6 days post-op and I'm struggling with the liquid diet. I'm finally getting nearly all of my Water and Protein in, but I've yet to get my calories in. My goal is 500-800 a day. I feel like I'd have to eat and drink constantly all day long to make it work and my little sleeve is not liking the sound of that! Does anyone have any liquid diet routine suggestions? Like times, amounts and what you're eating?

Btw... I know this is tricky because everyone's diets tend to be quite different, but I'm just hoping to steal some ideas and work them into my routine. Thank you!!

I had to sip something all day at that stage. It's hard, but you have got to do it.

As you heal and can consume more at a time things will improve.

In the meantime, just keep sipping.

I don't think you should focus on calories this early. Just continue getting your Protein, Water and liquids in as well as trying to poop again. I am 11 days out and I track my food/drink on myfitnesspal but I am not tracking calories only water and protein per my NUT.

My first month out my calorie range was 400 - 600, but my NUT was more concerned with me meeting my Protein and Fluid goals. Being low cal for a bit won't hurt. We have plenty of fat reserves to take care of that. I started the day with a Protein shake with ¼ - ½ cup plain greek yogurt, 1 scoop Protein powder and whatever mixin's I liked, often 1 tbsp of almond butter, sometimes a 1 - 2 ounces of fruit and some chopped spinach or fresh spinach leaves mixed with Water and served over ice. That was Breakfast and lunch was pretty similar. dinner was veg broth or clear Soup with ½ - whole scoop unflavored Protein Powder. In between that I sipped on my Water.< /p>

Here you go...I pretty much do the same thing over and over because it doesn't bother me and I hate cream Soups. :-) Try not to laugh at this....I do really well on a schedule, and my hospital gave me general times to follow for food that you see below. Works for me and I am able to get it into my work day and home life with hubby and kids. For the first week at home I kept forgetting to take my Water bottle in the car. ARGH! If I don't plan, guaranteed I'll end up missing a meal or two in favor of getting liquids in. Good luck! It's another job right now and I'm doing it with you! :-)

6:45 AM - 8 oz cinnamon tea w/skim and truvia

8:00 AM - 1/4 cup cream of wheat with cinnamon and truvia

9:00 AM to 10:45 AM - about 12 oz of Water, tea, crystal light, etc.

11:00 AM - baby food mixed with 1/2 scoop unflavored ispoure or 1tbsp natural Peanut Butter

Noon - 12:45 PM - I can get in about 6 oz of water

1:00 PM - lite greek yogurt with 1/2 scoop unflavored Isopure

2:00 PM - 2:45 - I can get in about 6 oz of water

3:00 PM - CIB with scoop unflavored Isopure and tsp PB2 with skim - 8oz and takes me an hour

4:30 PM - 5:45 PM - I can get in at least 8 oz

6:00 PM - 1/4 cup refried Beans with ff cheese (cheese is OK per doc)

7:00 PM - 8 oz iced tea

8:15 PM - SF Jello

9:00 PM - 8 oz tea with skim and truvia

My doctor told me he doesn't care about calories the first week, he said focus on getting your Water in the first week. He said it won't hurt to just drink water with very little calorie intake