Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No protein & no vitamins, is it a problem?

Kradtke5, no I don't have a nut as I had my surgery done in Belgium and not in Britain it is kind of hard for me as it was just a fly there fly back situation. I was unable to book an appointment with my gp since I got back (The vibe that I got is that they weren't very happy that I got it done abroad so they didn't want nothing to do with it) but I have been to see my doctor once I started getting all panicky and literally demanding for an appointment and I've had the chance to have a good chat with him and I finally also got my Vitamins but yes it has been extremely hard because I went into this thing with my eyes closed and came out exactly how I went in so I had little knowledge apart from the booklet my surgeon left me whilst I was asleep as I weren't able to see him at all after my surgery (I believe after you hand your money over then they're job with you is finished) so I was unable to ask questions. The booklet outlines all the stages of diets but not what I should specifically be buying for these diets. I have attempted to call my surgeon but it either rings out or I get answer machine. So as you can tell I weren't that educated on much regarding this surgery which is why I posted this post to ask for advice as I have really been relying on this website for answers to all my questions, I know I should've done my research before hand but as soon as the idea of the surgery came to mind I was flying out the next week on my way to get it done and I guess I was that excited that I really just forgot to prepare. I hope this clears it up for you kradtke5 as I don't mean to ask stupid questions but you guys are what I use as my nut so I really do rely on advice on here and prior posts.

@@Melvyn96 Glad you saw your doctor and are getting on track with proper nutrition. This site is a fantastic resource for information and it sounds like you didn't get much of that from your surgeon so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post here with any and all questions. Or you can private message me directly if you want. We all want you to have a safe and healthy weight loss journey!

No Protein and no Vitamins? No problem. There are plenty of doctors and hospitals out there you can go to if you have health issues due to deficiencies.

Follow your surgeon's and nutritionist's advice and read up as much as you can. You need to have enough Protein and vitamins/minerals for normal metabolic function. Your body will suffer from certain deficiencies, maybe not right away but over time.

The body will take protein from the muscles if you don't supply it enough and I believe it may take Calcium from the bones if you are deficient with that (I am not 100% sure).

As a side note, don't overdose in Vitamins & minerals either, certain ones have negative health effects in high dosages; luckily most are Water soluble, but that is not a good reason to take massive dosages of them.

@@Melvyn96 - I'm glad you saw a doctor. Most of us here have no problem helping others, but your need to provide us with a clear picture. You initial post made it seem like you were just ignoring doctor's advice. If you have a handbook, follow it. Let it be your bible for the first few months. This is especially important in your case. If you have questions, please feel free to ask here for clarification.

Yes you defiantly need your Protein, I'm on and off with my Vitamins, I finally ordered my Vitamins from PatchMD.com so the only other thing I need is my B12, so I just put on a patch on each arm where it for 12 hrs and I'm good to go.

I was feeling very week after surgery and as soon as I started getting that Protein in at the recommended goal I felt so much better and was able to go back to work and do normal activated again.

Research foods that have protein, there are plenty.

There is a flavorless soy Protein powder I use from Nature's Blend that will adapt to any flavor you can think of. I put it in my Jello and broth as well since I am still on the liquid phase of surgery.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/natures-blend-protein-powder-80-soy-isolate-1-lb-pwdr

Protein will keep your hair from falling out and help you with healing. Its very important to make sure you are getting your 70-100 grams per day!

I have had a hard time making sure I get all of my goals in everyday, but all I can do is try my best and sometimes force them down to get as close as I can.

Keep going and best of luck!

@@Melvyn96 - That is facinating. What a violation of the Hippocratic oath. Feel free to forward your posts to their regulating boards. May not cost them now, but hopefully it will keep them off of any regulating boards in the future.

@@Melvyn96 - Please feel free to mention that you are from Belgium up front in the future. In the US the fear of lawsuits drives up the cost of surgery beyond belief. In other countries this may not be the case, and may actually diminish care. So while I understand what was happening, I couldn't believe it was happening in America...but somewhere else, yeah I could (don't think from that I think everything is great is here, I just said "that doesn't make sense here."

What are you doing to get Protein in if not Protein Shakes? Our surgeon wants us on protein shakes as soon as we get home-like day 1 at home from hospital. It's important for healing, to keep your hair and to prevent your body from starving and start wasting your muscles and breaking them down for Proteins to keep your body systems going. As for Vitamins, we were told that we could use chewable a like 2 flintstones or chewable Bariatric vitamins or use nothing for the first two weeks until we were able to use the pills like 10-14 days out. Certainly after that point you want to be on vitamins because our bodies can't absorb what we need because of the rerouting of intestines and restriction(bypass), so it's important to your complete health to take vitamins then. If you were a sleeve, you'd still need to take vitamins to make up for what you can't get in due to the restriction, but the rules were the same. chewable vitamins or nothing for first 2 weeks, then move to the pills or stay on chewables.< /p>