Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain and bulge under incision site

Good evening friends. I had RNY on 9/22. Everything went well. I will say I am way more sore then I expected. I thought I was pretty tough but this surgery has changed my mind.

My question is in regards to a hard swollen area under the largest incision. I believe the one they took the tools in and out though. It hasn't been a week yet but this is the only spot the truly HURTS and has from the moment I woke up in recovery. Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me this goes away soon.

@Knitchic....I had surgery on 9/17 and have similar sensation. Mine is on right side. What makes it worse for me is the gravity pull on my belly apron....Oye' It has subsided some but still need to sleep in foreign position- I am a belly sleeper, so haven't had much success with sleep since surgery but each day is progress.

Hope your pain subsides soon!

Your sister in the journey

xoxo

Hi India928. Yes sleeping on my back has SUCKED lol. I'm glad to here you're doing well. I hope to look back on all this next month and think it was well worth it!

How are you doing on getting your fluids in? Any tips and tricks. I seem to be struggling.

I had the gastric sleeve plus a hiatal hernia fixed. I am nine weeks out. Yes, there was swollen tissue beneath the incision site. Most no longer have it now, one or two have the slightest thickness to them still. It is much less than before. You are going to have good days and bad days, but as the weight comes off, just focus on that and Celebrate it! I visit thrift stores to find my in between clothes. I have already dropped a bras size and had to get new underpants. I am losing about 6 pounds a week. I am at 40 pounds lost. You will get there too. As you start taking in food that is more solid, you will occasionally vomit. This is called early dumping. It's ok. Don't eat something new around others just as a precaution. The strange part is that it will be encased in a slime like liquid with high viscosity. To many this is weird, but it is normal. Your body has deemed it a problem, sent out cells to encase it and jettison the problem out. Sometimes there will be foam. Don't ask, I can't explain it. It's normal for those of us that had gastric surgeries. Even two years out you will occasionally have a foamy. Not sure why. I'm even in a pattern where I vomit once every other day. It is what it is. Like I said, just focus on the wonders of the weight loss. That is worth all the rest.

I met with the surgeon this morning. There was infection under that incision. Let's just say it was not a fun process but he removed the stitches and drained a LOT of Fluid packed the wound and I return each day this week to be re-packed. He also prescribed some augmentin twice a day.

The surgeon was so sorry it happen. He said I was only his 3rd patient with infection in 15 years... Go figure.

After discussing it with my family to make sure my memory was correct I never reviewed an IV antibiotic prior to surgery. Live and learn. I'm not upset. Just happy to be on the road to recovery.

I met with the surgeon this morning. There was infection under that incision. Let's just say it was not a fun process but he removed the stitches and drained a LOT of Fluid packed the wound and I return each day this week to be re-packed. He also prescribed some augmentin twice a day.

The surgeon was so sorry it happen. He said I was only his 3rd patient with infection in 15 years... Go figure.

After discussing it with my family to make sure my memory was correct I never reviewed an IV antibiotic prior to surgery. Live and learn. I'm not upset. Just happy to be on the road to recovery.

Glad you were seen and its being treated. I got a small infection in one incision too, but it didn't need packing. Thank goodness, saw my husband go thru that... Ouch!

@Knitchic....I had surgery on 9/17 and have similar sensation. Mine is on right side. What makes it worse for me is the gravity pull on my belly apron....Oye' It has subsided some but still need to sleep in foreign position- I am a belly sleeper, so haven't had much success with sleep since surgery but each day is progress.

Hope your pain subsides soon!

Your sister in the journey

xoxo

This is exactly my situation! I'm a belly sleeper and I'm having that same pain under the big incision on the right side. So annoying.. I'm only 5 days post op, and have just been trying to wait it out.

I was excited to see this post as I have the same problem going on and actually came on to the site to see if anyone else was having the same problem. My surgery was last Wednesday, 9/23. My big incision is pretty painful. I am not sure that it's really red or swollen, it just hurts. My post op appointment is tomorrow, so I will be interested to see what the surgeon says.

I was also wondering if anyone had any tips for more pain control besides the meds for the incisions? i.e. like any over the counter ointments, etc?

I am so sorry to hear about the draining they did on you though. That sounds very unpleasant. Hopefully it gets better now

Knitchic, I had the same experience but I had to pack and repack it myself. I agree with you, it was painful and my surgeon was very apologetic. I didn't think that I would be able to repack it myself each day but I got over being freaked out by it and it has healed nicely.

This happened after my gallbladder surgery. It was a form of MRSA. I have a big ugly scar and bulge there still 2 years later.

Knitchic, I had the same experience but I had to pack and repack it myself. I agree with you, it was painful and my surgeon was very apologetic. I didn't think that I would be able to repack it myself each day but I got over being freaked out by it and it has healed nicely.

I am supposed to be unpacking and packing it myself but I keep begging the nurse at the office to let me come in and her handle it. There's a reason I am a banker and not in the medical field lol. I think the incision did look a little better today. Hopefully it will improve each day. I just really want this to be over with.

I was excited to see this post as I have the same problem going on and actually came on to the site to see if anyone else was having the same problem. My surgery was last Wednesday, 9/23. My big incision is pretty painful. I am not sure that it's really red or swollen, it just hurts. My post op appointment is tomorrow, so I will be interested to see what the surgeon says.

I was also wondering if anyone had any tips for more pain control besides the meds for the incisions? i.e. like any over the counter ointments, etc?

I am so sorry to hear about the draining they did on you though. That sounds very unpleasant. Hopefully it gets better now

Karen please let us know how your appointment goes. I didn't expect them to say infection because I didn't have a fever but the site was very hot to the touch. Good luck my friend!

This happened after my gallbladder surgery. It was a form of MRSA. I have a big ugly scar and bulge there still 2 years later.
I am so sorry to hear that. It just sucks doesn't it. I heard it will be a very wide scar :(. It's not like I plan to wear a bikini at this point in my life so I guess it is what it is. I just wish there was some way to numb it before the packing process.

Yup very normal. It was almost excruciating for me. 2 weeks. Once the 3rd week hit, it was GONE and I no longer had to sleep on back.