Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going tomorrow night for my sleep study.. Any tips, suggestions or what I can expect?

Edited by TheMix

Ive had 2! So I know lots about sleep studies. They are gonna hook you up to a bunch of wires on your head, arms, and legs. Usually there are bands around your chest to monitor breathing.

And then you just sleep. Like normal.

Just kidding I slept like crap the second time I had one. There is stuff up your nose and I had someone snoring in the room next door (my first one was actually really peaceful and I feel asleep right away).

If you have sever sleep apnea (stop breathing more than 30x per hour) they usually come in and put a CPAP on you. They didn't come put one on me but I still have moderate sleep apnea and they gave me a CPAP for it. I was also waking up every two hours pretty much on the dot before I had my CPAP but now I love it and can't sleep without it. post-262421-14432898742229_thumb.jpg

Oh great info. Thanks so much.

Try to go sleepy, its not the easiest place to get some rest, but its not terrible either. Get up early the morning of, no naps, etc.

I had to have two as well. It was extremely difficult to sleep. They said I have mild sleep apnea and gave me a CPAP as well. I hate it. I wake up more than I ever have before. I will wear it for the 6 hours required right now (for ins purposes) and take it off. I sleep so much better with out it. My pressure is only a 5.5 lowest setting is 4. I look horrible but here was mine. post-260311-14432978287508_thumb.jpg

Yep first test is to monitor how you sleep. You'll have electrodes on you scalp, chest and legs. You will probably also have a nasal canula up your nose. They will likely want you to sleep on your back. Some will allow you to sleep on your side. If they don't find anything abnormal, then you're good to go. If they find any indication of sleep apnea, they bring your back to try a mask on you. The CPAP mask can range from small ones that just cover the nose to larger ones that cover the nose and mouth. Once they figure out the right mask and rate for O2, they give you a script for your own CPAP machine. None of it is painful, ust annoying.

I love my CPAP, well, maybe not love, but I get so much better rest using it. I used to wake up feeling awful, but now I wake up rested.

I've had a few sleep studies over the years and will be honest and say that I've never been good with using it. DH and both have sleep apnea and he has been wearing his cpap religiously for the last 10 years. He feels well rested after a good nights sleep with his machine, me I feel worn out. Turns out there were notes entered into my profile years ago that had gone unnoticed that I might be narcoleptic. There really is a reason for preforming the study, just make sure yu follow up with it and use it if recommended.

I have had two sleep studies and the best types of masks in my opinion are the ones that just go on your nose ask to be fitted for the wisp or the pico