Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puréed suggestions please!

I would love some suggestions too. I just keep thinking that you would blend potatoes, meat and peas together and drink it. YUK!!! Can't wait to hear the ideas.

I start mine on Friday but here are some suggestions that were given to me:

Refried Beans - add some taco sauce and cheese to spice it up

Ricotta cheese - add some marinara or pesto sauce

Cottage cheese plain or add some seasoning - I like to add the dry ranch mix to it

Moist chicken (I bought some in a can) - puree it to applesauce and add your own flavorings (buffalo sauce, BBQ, etc...)

tuna

pureed eggs with mayo and mustard

Chili - pureed. I made a big batch a few weeks ago and froze small portions

Any pureed Soups - cheesy broccoli, chicken noodle, beef barley, etc...

Pureed Roast beef

Hope those help. Otherwise google Eggface she has an amazing website with lots of recipes.

I will definitely try the chili.

However, why do we need to puree things? Why can't we take small bites and chew, chew chew?

The Bari-Buddies online cookbook has many pureed food recipes as well as recipes for all stages of the bariatric diet. You can download and print the book because there is no copyright. It's a great resource!

http://www.mybaribud...46/cookbook.pdf ORIGINAL BARI-BUDDY COOKBOOK (few hundred pages)

http://www.chicoweig...ookJuly2014.pdf UPDATED REVISED VERSION

Make sure you find out from your surgeon what you're allowed to have. A lot of things mentioned above I was not allowed at one week. No meat, no chicken, nothing with lumps, no seafood.

I was allowed things like: applesauce, hummus, greek yogurt (smooth), sugar free pudding, Jello, broth, non-cream Soup, mashed potatoes. Three meals a day, 1/3 cup food at each meal, no Snacks.

I just had my surgery Tuesday & just got home yesterday, so I am by no means well experienced in this and I have yet to start on pureed foods myself, but I just have to cringe at the thought of attempting taco sauce, buffalo sauce and chili so soon after surgery. You must remember that half of your stomach has just been cut away and anything spicy could just be pouring the proverbial salt on the wound. I know everyone is different but you will have just gone through a major surgery and must be gentle on your newly cut stomach. My nutritionist said no spicy or Tomato based foods for at least about 2 months. We need to start slowly, with the easiest things your stomach can handle first and work your way up as your body can tolerate. My thought is that several of these items mentioned is in no way going to be easy enough on you poor delicate tummy this early out. Also, the high fat foods, cheese, mayo (except for maybe some low-fat versions), will also wreak havoc on the tummy's and is exactly what we're supposed to be staying away from. I also can't imagine having Beans this early out especially for anyone having gas issues. It's definitely not going to be easy and we're in this for the long haul, but the point of going through all of this is so that it will be worth it!

(From my Nutritionist)

Suggested pureed Foods:

• Very thin Cream of Wheat (my NUT said oatmeal is still a little to fibrous at this point)
  • Pureed cream soups/split pea Soup (blended totally smooth, no chunks)
  • S/F low-fat yogurt (I thin down thick Greek yogurt with a little milk)
  • Blended cottage cheese (I will be trying this with some pureed S/F peaches)
  • S/F Applesauce
  • S/F pudding
  • Baby food (if your desperate but some of the fruit ones are quite good)

Work your way up to heavier mashed items like:

• Soft scrambled egg
  • Mashed potatoes (avoid butter)
  • Mashed canned chicken or tuna (can mash it with some avocado)
  • Mashed banana
  • Pureed soft vegetables or fruits (avoid broccoli & cauliflower 4 wk's - too gas producing)
  • Mashed turkey meatballs or mashed moist chicken
  • (red meat is often not tolerated well, use caution)
  • Refried Beans (don't use if you are experiencing gas pains)

AVOID 6-12 weeks

• Spicy foods/salsa
  • Tomato/acidic foods
  • Rice/pasta/bread
  • Celery
  • Whole beans
  • Corn
  • Seeds & Nuts (12+ weeks)
  • Caffeine (4+ weeks, acts as a diuretic)
  • Gas producing vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, cabbage - 4 weeks)

Soda's & carbonated beverages (even S/F) should be eliminated permanently.

I hope some of this helps! I wish you the best with your surgery!

I start mine on Friday but here are some suggestions that were given to me:

Refried beans - add some taco sauce and cheese to spice it up

Ricotta Cheese - add some marinara or pesto sauce

Cottage cheese plain or add some seasoning - I like to add the dry ranch mix to it

Moist chicken (I bought some in a can) - puree it to applesauce and add your own flavorings (buffalo sauce, BBQ, etc...)

Tuna

Pureed eggs with mayo and mustard

Chili - pureed. I made a big batch a few weeks ago and froze small portions

Any pureed Soups - cheesy broccoli, chicken noodle, beef barley, etc...

Pureed Roast beef

Hope those help. Otherwise google Eggface she has an amazing website with lots of recipes.

I actually tried the pintos and cheese from Taco Bell today about 3 hours ago and have had no issues what so ever. My dr and nut do not have me on any other restrictions other than what I posted above. I obviously wouldn't try and "cheat" this early out so there aren't any worries there. I've read many people that said they tried homemade turkey chili puréed as one of their first foods and loved it. So I may just try that. Thank you.