Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 week pre-op anxiety, wondering if I should cancel!

I was 412 day of surgery. No compensation, but allergic to latex, red dyes and several meds. Arthritis in my left knee from s meniscus repair. 51 and post menopausal from a radical hysterectomy due to uterine cancer. Pre diabetic.

I had the absolutely easiest surgery. I walked in recovery, no gas, no vomiting, no cramps. I could get in and out of bed without help and didn't need pain meds once I work up. I wish I had done this year's earlier.

@@dforre50 I know.....I am very concerned about the LONG TERM lack of studies on Vitamin absorbtion.

OVER and over i read posters saying I think - like sheep- what they heard their surgerons say to them- that this is not a malapsorption procedure--- but clearly it is. If my 2 years of lurking on the pages is data gathering, there clearly is. So I didn't want to do the RNY (bypass) because of the long term requirement to take Vitamins for the rest of my life. I am not a great pill taker- I have never had to take medicine for a long period of time- more than a few weeks- and I don't know that I'll stay on top of it- FOR THE REST of my life. I'm prettty confident that I won't be compliant with it. So what will happen to me if I get loose on that? Will my teeth break? Will my bones break? Will I require infusions for Iron and B12 and god knows what else?

If anyone knows people longer than 2 years out- please speak to this because it's a big worry. My sister called me in tears about it. That losing 65-70 lbs isn't worth a lifetime of illness and body failing because I did something elective to myself.

OP- I am 47. I was 46 at the time of surgery.

I am not a great pill taker. I set a recurring alarm on my cell phone to remind me. I was low Iron prior to the surgery and low D. I take a chewable Multivitamin with Iron, a subligual B-12 and a chewable Calcium since my family has a history of osteoporosis. My blood work at 5 months was better after surgery than 1 year before and 1.5 months before. I actually only take my B-12 every couple days instead of daily as it was too high.

My surgeon indicated that for the sleeve the most common deficiency is B12 and he prefers subligual pills to injections. Many women have low iron and Vitamin D but that is a problem for many women not just obese or WLS patients. Both my mom and grandmom are very thin and have been their entire lives. My grandmom has broken both her hips due to osteoporosis. I think most if not all women should take Calcium/D to prevent osteoporosis.

I spent the majority of my period of being overweight closer to 60-70 pounds overweight. My body was starting to fail- I was pre-Diabetic, high blood pressure, constantly body sore, GERD. My last A1C, about 6 months prior to surgery, was awful. A second one with those results and I would be considered diabetic.

Now, no more GERD, better blood results, no more high blood pressure on no meds. I take my Celebrex as needed not daily. I have more energy. My body is no longer failing me.

Yes WLS can have risks, so can any surgery. However long term obesity has risks. For me the long term and short term risks of obesity outweighed the slim risks associated with WLS.

To add:

According to my surgeon, as a society we have a D deficiency crisis in this country. Most people are deficient in D (whether you have surgery or not)? I was required to start taking a D3 supplement the day I started considering surgery.

As a woman, I have always had to watch my Iron and have almost always had to take Iron.< /p>

What woman over 50 do you know that hasn't been advised to take Calcium supplements?

My whole life, every doctor I have ever had, starting with my pediatrician, has recommended a multi-Vitamin.

Is the thought of having to take some Vitamins really what is scaring you?

I know you are on the fence about this surgery.

Why not talk with the psychologist that cleared you or your surgeon, about your fears.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to postpone until you are more sure of your decision.

@@Nomorethickchick - OK. I have read your posts here and your other thread about the Vitamin deficiency and you seem to be literally "on the fence" about the surgery. You need to talk to the psychologist, nutritionist and surgeon. Your fears are scary to me at this point pre-surgery. You have backed out two other times and you aren't sure now. Its YOUR life and YOUR decision. I truly wish you this best of luck but I am afraid you will have the surgery and wont be comfortable post-op and will be really regretting having the surgery.

Surgery or NOT, keep us posted and if you decide to do it on your own then come here and we can still cheer you on!!!

By the way, my understanding it's not the malabsorption that causes the Vitamin deficiency, it's that we can't always eat enough volume of food to get in both our required macros and ALL our Vitamins all the time.

@@NikkiDoc Thank you. That makes me feel alot better. I can only presume that my Vitamin levels are good since no doctor has ever advised me on my blood panel reviews, to take Vitamins or Celebrex.

Thank you for adding your detailed thoughts and taking my question seriously, as it was mean to be! You and posts of others like you have really been so very helpful through this nervous pre-op wait!

I've talked to my therapist about my fears. And my surgeon. And people who have had the surgery. My therapist thinks they're good questions and that she would be having similar concerns - that it's a no going back procedure so ask as many questions as I have. My surgeon just says if i take the Vitamins as he dictates there shouldn't be any issue.

@nomorethickchick-

I am sorry for the health conditions you are dealing with, in my time as an RN I have seen many people with this condition, and it can be tough! I would suggest you really have a heart to heart with the doctor, find some people who have had it and talk to them with it. I know three people that have had it personally in my life, and two had no nausea, and one is just a few weeks out with some light nausea. There is medication they can give you for that can dissolved under the tongue if you can't swallow it. My daughter had to take it before and it worked wonders for her. I know with the sleeve they state that you don't loose as much as the gastric bypass and you can always adjust your diet to prevent that as you need to. Also, if there is a good support group in your area for people getting gastric surgery, I would highly recommend that you get involved. I hope you are able to make up your mind and find some peace with your choice!