Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smokers/Sleevers in Maryland?

Hi Guys I am in my 6 month weight mngmt with my pcp this is my last visit before i can get a surgery date. I have a visit in sept for my nutrition 90 min class and 2 phsyc eval left. I cant mamage to stop smoking. I am not a heavy smoker i only smoke when i drink alcohol which is almost every weeknd! Does anyone know what can happen surgically? (Intubation) amd what i can do to stop! I am so close to finishing and i dnt wamt to risk anything just because i have this bad habbit. Also is anyome scared not to wake up from surgery? I try not to think on it but i really need some support here. Tall me thru it ???? *BTW PLEASE EXCUSE THUMB ERRORS*

I've posted this exact thing before on here, and there are many posts about people that can't seem to quit smoking before surgery. (try doing a search on "smoking" and see what pops up)

Anyway, here's my advice:

Stop drinking if you can't seem to stop smoking with it. Tell yourself you can do it a few months after the surgery if you need to have that to hold on to, but do whatever it takes NOW to stop smoking.

I was a very happy smoker for the last 20 years. I started as a teenager, and I was pretty mad about having to stop for this surgery. But I did this surgery to improve my health and my entire rest of my life. Smoking is bad. There is nothing whatsoever good about smoking. I know I am an addict, and quitting is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I had never been able to quit for any length of time before, but making the decision to have sleeve surgery meant I cared enough about my body and my future that continuing to be a smoker was just the most asinine, stupidest thing I could do. And so I quit. And I had one slip up about 2 weeks out, but I got right back into quitting and I didn't slip again, and it's now been over 300 days since I had my last cigarette. I won't lie; I still want a damned cigarette almost every day, but I know it's bad for me and that's not who I am anymore. I won't let them control my life any more.

Cigarettes are just as bad as being addicted to drugs or being an alcoholic - you are allowing an addiction to ruin your health and jeopardize your future. If you care enough about yourself to have this surgery, then show that you care enough also to get off the smoking and put ALL of this awful stuff in your past.

Some surgeons will test you for nicotine, and even the metabolized form which can stay in the body for weeks, so you might just be kicked out of the pre-op the day of if you haven't quit with enough time to get it out of your system completely. At least a month out should do it, and that includes using gum or Patches.

Even if they don't test you, you're risking a poorer outcome. VSG is major surgery, don't fool yourself that you can just keep sneaking one here or there and it won't hurt anything. You are hurting your body every time you smoke, and you are risking poor circulation, poor healing, poor lung capacity and issues with breathing during surgery and even clots for months after. Why? So you can feed a deadly addiction?

If you continue to smoke, you're saying to yourself that you aren't worth having the best possible outcome and faster healing and better health. You're better than that, so start thinking that way, and fight hard for your health. There is still time, and you are so worth it. You CAN do this!!

(I used Patches and gum for a week, then cold turkey. I also used a quit smoking app on my phone - Butt Out - that was a lifesaver as it has a community that was really supportive)

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Why are you drinking if you know you will smoke then? Find a new hobby.

Edited by ASUgrad

My NUT also shared that smoking was either the first or second leading cause of strictures following surgery! Definitely reason to stay away from it!

Hi guys...stopped smokin cold turkey about 1 1/2 months ago and got my blood test for nicotein last wk....results were neg!!!! What a releif!!!

When did they blood test you? I had a smoke like last week but I never even really smoke. How often do you need to smoke for it to affect the nicotine test? and my surgery is already on Tuesday :/ I don't want that to keep me from having surgery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by sleevemylife

If u dnt have a history of smokin like i did (5-6 cigg a day) than i woukdnt worry about it...but try not to smoke it can cause bad circulation...bad healing...etc. Last i smoked was about 2 mo ago. I got blood drawn last wed and it came back yesterday Neg! @@sleevemylife

If u dnt have a history of smokin like i did (5-6 cigg a day) than i woukdnt worry about it...but try not to smoke it can cause bad circulation...bad healing...etc. Last i smoked was about 2 mo ago. I got blood drawn last wed and it came back yesterday Neg! @@sleevemylife

Oh okay. No I don't smoke that many

Thanks I feel a little better now lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk