Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay Questions for First Consult

Hey, my name is Kelly and tomorrow is my first consult appointment with Dr. Trace Curry in Cincinnati, Ohio. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover wls, so I'm paying for my sleeve on my own. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of questions I should ask as a self pay patient? I have a list started, but I don't want to miss anything important and I'm scared that once my nerves kick in, I won't think to ask the right questions! I'm very anxious (and excited) already and just don't know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Be really specific what is included.

Anesthesia, hospital, radiology, pathology, etc. Also what aftercare and for how long

Yes! Your surgeon will not be able to answer the "payment" questions for you but make sure to tell them that you are self pay so they can get you the numbers of the people you need to talk to. Also, some surgeons will not take self pay patients.

I had to sign a contract with the hospital and put money down. Then they gave me the numbers of the 3 other places I would need to call. All in all here are the breakdowns:

Hospital - $13,500 - I had to put $5,500 down and sign up for med credit for the rest. I also had to sign a contract. This contract went over what was all involved. 1-2 nights in the hospital, all the instruments used for surgery, all of the supplies used for surgery, all the meds I would receive, etc... It was very detailed. There is a clause in there that said if I only stay one night I do not get a refund on any money but if I have to stay longer then 2 nights I can be charged more money - LOL I loved how they put that in there :)

Surgeon - My surgeon was $3,200 but if I were to prepay I would get a 20% discount (Which I did) and it came to like $2,400.

Anesthesiologist - $1,100 I needed to provide them a CPT Code for the surgery (you get this from the hospital) and they gave me a flat fee. I was able to get 20% off for prepayment again.

Nurse Anesthesiologist - $859 for one hour of surgery. That was after a 10% prepayment discount. She did warn me that if I go over in surgery by 15 minutes they will bill me for the remaining balance. I guess they get paid by the minute. I should have went into that field of work - hahaha.

All in all it was roughly $17,00 for me. We were lucky enough to be able to save up for a year and only have 8k left.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanks!

I ended up going out of state (not comfortable with out of country) for my surgery, and am saving over $13,000 by doing so.

Definitely make sure you know exactly who will be billing you (hospitals often send out separate bills from each department, and I've read stories of people being shocked to get bills for something they assumed was included).

Some surgeons offer all inclusive options, but you'll find that all-inclusive doesn't always seem to mean truly all inclusive. Some surgeons include pre-op testing and post-op visits/support in their fee, others do not. My surgeon is very clear that everything I need is included, and I will not have to pay a dime more than that amount (as long as there are no post-op complications- those are rarely included in the all-inclusive fee). That's what is making the trip to Florida from Minnesota worth it for me.

Good luck in your journey!

Thank you so much! That's a lot of good information. Looks like I'll be taking lots of notes tomorrow! I guess my worst fear is hidden costs that I wasn't aware of up front. I know things can add up quickly.

Did you end up paying more than you were expecting in the end or was it all pretty straightforward and predetermined?

If you are self paying, why not go to Mexico? Much cheaper and when you check the rates of infection much lower than in the US. Less crap than we do in the states most of which we do because of lawsuit fears and demands of insurance companies.

Edited by OKCPirate

I should have been clearer, I'm scheduled for 8/31, so I haven't had my surgery yet. The surgeon's office told me that if I get any bills sent to me from the hospital, to forward them to their office. That was comforting, and I'm confident that I won't have any unexpected charges.

I will say, luckily for me, my husband had lots of airline miles and hotel rewards points, so traveling out of state added very little to the cost for us.

Wow, I just read my post again, and it really does sound like I'm post-op, lol.. Sorry!

Ask if your surgeon offers Blis insurance. My surgeon requires it for all self-pay patients. It's like an extended warranty for your surgery to cover complications that wouldn't be covered by your insurance.

Blis is part of my self pay program. It covers everything for the first year. It made me feel much better about being self pay.

I wish BLIS was included in my package. It's the only thing I'm missing. :(

I'm having my surgery in Boca Raton, FL with Dr. Shillingford, for $10k, all inclusive. Unfortunately, since I live out of state, I'm pretty much on my own for pre- and post-op, but the price can't be beat, and he is a reputable surgeon.

I'm excited, but a ball of nerves! I'm on my pre-op diet which stinks!

@Brighteyes-I am having surgery in Cincinnati too. Before I found out insurance covers a portion I checked on self pay options. UC has a Bariatrics program at West Chester Hospital and I was quoted an all inclusive self pay with Blis of $16.5K. St. E in Northern KY all inclusive with Blis $20K. My insurance requires me to use UC's program. I have my first appointment 8/27.

How much does BLIS insurance cost? My doc is $11,000 in MI, but complications are not covered.