Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost had a melt-down panic attack today, lol.

My band-to-bypass surgery is on Monday, August 24th. I've been working on getting my clearances done. I've gotten my labs done, my cardiology clearance, and had my initial appointment with my PCP. Today, all that was left was my pulmonology clearance appointment this morning, and then meet with the PCP again tomorrow to get everything together and have him do the official medical clearance. And guess what? The pulmonologist decided she wants me to do a sleep study, even though I have zero symptoms of sleep apnea and she even said that she didn't think I had it. And of course, the place that does the sleep studies couldn't get me an appointment until the 20th. THE 20TH! The Thursday before my Monday Surgery, so they wouldn't even have the results until Friday! I was doing everything I could in the office not to cry, because I was completely convinced they'd just screwed up my surgery.

So, I tried to calm down, went to lunch, then went home and reread my pre-op education booklet. And lo and behold, there's a statement that says that they require all clearances to be delivered to them 3-4 business days before the surgery, which wasn't going to happen if the pulmonologist wouldn't be able to make her report until the Friday before. So then I got to call up the pulmonologist's office and tell them that they're either going to have to talk the sleep study place into seeing me sooner, or waive the sleep test (since, again, I don't have sleep apnea!), because my surgeon's deadline for clearances is much sooner. I get to pick up the stuff for the study tomorrow, now. I'm actually going to have to take sick leave from work to do the study, since I work nights and break my sleep up during the day into two 4-5 hour blocks.

I'm still a little grumpy about this, lol. I have absolutely no issues with sleep that aren't caused by either working nights and sleeping during the day or my cats waking me up, I don't snore, and I'm not drowsy during my "day." And the pulmonologist even said that she doesn't think I've got it. This is an absolutely unnecessary test for me, since my insurance doesn't require it and my surgeon doesn't require it.

Because I have been snoring so loud for 2 or 3 years before surgery that my wife constantly complained that she lost a lot of sleep. As a result as part of the pre-op RNY testing, I was directed to make an appointment to see a pulmonologist. I set up an appointment and met with him. He said there was a good chance I had sleep apnea and wanted me to do a sleep test. I told him that I didn't want to do a sleep test because my RNY will probably correct the problem. I told him that if I still snore after the surgery I will set up an appointment and undergo a sleep test. He agreed.

Within 2 weeks after surgery I stopped snoring. I would find my wife hovering over me in the middle of the night, listening if I was still breathing because I was so quiet it was scaring her.

@losing_the_band. Hope they are able to get your sleep study taken care of quickly for you and that you can stick with your original date. My surgery has been put off for a month due to the slowness in getting some hematology reports. It's made me want to cry and throw a hissy fit! I just keep trying to remind myself that everything happens for a reason! Good luck!