Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

you can use anything as an "addiction" or a replacement for not being content with your life...look at food, that got most of us here...filling ourselves till we felt better.

weed relaxes me, I can do with it and I can do with out it. And when I have kids I will teach them that lesson as well, that anything can be bad it all depends on the reason why you are doing something. Yes doing illegal drugs is well illegal. However I don't consider weed dangerous, not like herion or cocaine(I will never touch it). And I do not drink or smoke cigerettes.

I will not smoke around my kids that's just stupid, just as drinking down a bottle of whiskey while playing with them would be irresponsible.

There are plenty of succesful people out there that can handle weed as an occasional recreation, to those who can't...well you give us all a bad name and fuel decades of false propaganda.

I think you misunderstand my point entirely and believe me this is the last post I'll make on the subject - so go ahead and have the last word after me. If we got to vote tomorrow to legalize, I would vote yes. Do I thinking smoking cigarettes or anything else is stupid when you are trying to be healthy - yes. Do I think MJ is as dangerous as cocaine - of course not. Do I think teaching our kids it's okay to break laws is stupid - yes. However, I think there is a time and a place for a healthy discussion with kids about why we think laws should be changed with our children.

I tried it when I was very young, but then I grew up. The 'medicinal' effects benefit those who are too ill to eat, not those of us who are fooling ourselves that it is healthy to smoke weed.

Again, it is illegal. Why put your jobs and health in jeopardy?

I watched my relative's arthritic swollen fingers disappear as she took a couple puffs off a joint and now she makes Cookies instead. They eat one every few days and helps better than any pill a doc gave them and it's a weed grown naturally.

Munchies are a huge problem and don't help with maintaining a good choice of food for sure. It may be in your head but the stomach is sure willing to accept (non banded or sleeved etc) Not sure about after. Not there yet.

A controversial subject but you don't feel badly of a person that comes home from work and has a glass of wine or a beer and there is no difference. However if you smoke one beware that you may laugh your *** off - oh thats a good thing ..lol

Sorry if offends anyone but there's MODERATION in EVERYTHING - food / drink / etc..

Yes, I wouldn't do it much either I guess if it were for health reasons, though there is always vaporizers or baked goods. However about 5 months after my surgery I found out I have trigeminal neuralgia and it's pretty much the only thing that can ward off attacks. And my b/f whom I live with also has Crohn's. So yes we are in college and we smoke, etc. But we also have diseases that are helped by smoking.

So I guess I get touchy about the subject because as someone who has been helped by it so tremendously I get defensive towards people that are ignorant on the subject. (This is not meant negatively, as ignorant is only meaning that some people have never tried it and couldn't possibilly know the benefits)

so, i was banded 2/08, and i'm sad sad sad to say that i've only lost like 30lbs.

i was thinking it's because of weed. i smoke at nights to chill myself out. all day, i do well, but i tell you what, later in the evening, i get so hungry, i end up grazing.

i'm seeing that others have still lost a lot of weight despite their mj use.... so, what's wrong with me? i don't want to quit smoking weed, because it helps me mentally. i'm a mortgage broker, and all day, i have SO MUCH STRESS, that if i didn't smoke, i'd have to be on zoloft and paxil and xanax and lexipro to cope. instead, i smoke a little. i really resent the fact that i have to justify myself, but the current illegality of weed allows a lot of people to pass judgment, and i'm not interested in the judgment.

do you guys feel like you can eat more when you're high? is there anyone else that feels like their weight loss has been hampered by smoking weed? i'm just trying to figure out why i can't lose any weight!!

as soon as i eat something, i feel the food starting to slip thru. in about 15 minutes, i feel it pass, and since i was able to eat very little to begin with, i eat a little more. is this how it is for everyone? before the surgery, i'd imagined that it would be like a "little stomach", that the food would 'sit' in the pouch, and go down over a few hours, making me feel 'full' for a long time with less food, but that just hasn't been the case.

i went in for another fill, and my dr only put in like .5cc's because he said i'm already very tight, but i can still eat, especially at night.

has anyone else experienced this? it's so disheartening not to have really lost any weight. any advise or insight (other than telling me to just quit smoking) will be greatly appreciated.

Don't beat yourself up. 30 pounds in three months is a "right on target" loss. You're doing fine. More than that and some doctors feel you are losing to fast. Don't forget, you want your skin to shrink in relation to your fat. who wants saggy, baggy skin right off the bat?

As for your smoking...... During the day at work, be diligent about your diet. Eat proper bandster foods and do what ever your doctor says. When you get home, don't eat right away and THEN smoke afterward. You'll get hungry all over again. Smoke right when you get home, and maybe cook a really nice bandster meal while you're relaxing. I put on jazz and dance around the kitchen when I cook. It relaxes me. Then when the munchies hit you, it's time to eat your regular meal. A full meal that includes solid Protein should keep you full for a few hours. Snacks don't last as long. If you are not full on a Protein meal for a few hours, then your band may need adjusting. If you're hungry later, stock up on fresh fruit, sugar free popsicles, or sugar free Jello or something. Just don't buy the tempting stuff any more. Just make a few adjustments.

Pashee - I definitely understand what you are talking about. I smoke a lot too and while I have lost quite a bit of weight, I recently gained back 3 pounds and it has been because I let things "slide" while I have munchies. But I do have a few recommendations for you, because I have been smoking the entire time after the surgery and still have lost 80 lbs, so it isn't like I have a huge problem with it. I just need to get back on track with these tricks I developed.

First of all, all weed isn't the same. If you buy stuff that has names, look it up. I have found tons of information about strands I have bought. The two main issues of weed are sativia (sp?) and indica. One of them produces a more "heavy" high with munchies and the other produces a more "alert" high without munchies. I have found that when I smoke one that is more of the alert type (I forget which one causes which, but you can look it up), not only do I not get munchies, my band actually feels tighter. I find that even if I do eat (like a healthy dinner) it tends to "stick" after smoking that type. Then there are others that make me ravenous. I have started jotting down the names and a few comments about it in a Word document. Kind of lame, I know, but that helps me keep track of which ones were really good and no munchies and which ones were dangerous because of the food issue.

The other thing I'd recommend is finding other ways to satisfy the cravings. So I like to keep things on hand like sugar free Jello and low fat whip cream. Or sugar free hot chocolate. Sugar free pudding. Also almonds for a salty craving. The Jello cups, etc. are good because they are already in good proportion sizes and prevent you from filling up too much. All of these things are (relatively) good for you and fulfill the craving without blowing the band out. Another great one for me are small candies like sugar free Lifesavers or a dark chocolate bar that I break one piece off and put the rest away.

The final thing I can suggest is to occupy yourself to distract you from the hunger. A lot of it is mental, so if you can keep your mind busy, you'll be a lot less likely to blow it. Obviously it doesn't have to be crazy, but I like to play viva pinata, or read a book, or watch cartoon network, or even veg out with my ipod. But that helps keep me busy enough to distract me from munchies. And the more you smoke without getting munchies, the more that will seem normal and help it get easier.

Hope this all helps!

Claire

i was banded in 2008, so it's been a year and 3 months. :rolleyes:

i try to snack on good things, but i'm still constantly eating.

thanks so much for your posts. it does help.... but can you tell me, when you eat, how does it feel? do you feel the food slipping down within 15 minutes?

i'm just trying to see if maybe i need more fill, or if it's my own head trip, you know?

Pashee, you don't say what types of food you are snacking on. Some foods will slip through much more easily than others, especially the types of snack foods we tend to go for when stoned. I think Aubrie had the best advice - don't eat dinner when you get home. Make yourself a good solid band-friendly meal with Protein and veges. Wait until you get the munchies really badly (i.e. not the first "hmmm... bit hungry..." signal), then eat your bandster dinner.

Grazing will defeat the way the band works as it allows you to eat small bits at a time, which fit in the pouch. Go for foods with more fibre and substance. If it is all slipping through easily, you might even try tackling the more "difficult" foods. I know that if I am feeling really hungry, I will add a slice of bread (with low fat cream cheese instead of butter) to my meal. If I eat it carefully, it won't get stuck but will be just "difficult" enough to really stop my hunger in its tracks. If you have a similar food - on the edge but not quite pushing you into trouble - that might help.

i'll snack on dinner, last night we made briskett, veggies, and potatoes, so i kept eating more. i can't eat much at a time, definitely less than a cup, and i'm still SO HUNGRY!! it slows me down. and as soon as i feel it slip thru, i have a bit more.

your advice on having something hard to pass is like, such an epic realization. i keep eating what i KNOW will go thru. i'll add some bread, wow.... thanks so much!! like oprah's aha moments.

i just thought this would be so much more automatic. i feel like there's totally something wrong with me!! everyone else is totally losing massive weight.

ok. i'll stop with the whining now.

I hope it helps, Pashee - but just think. When was the last time that you went over a year without gaining any weight? OK, a 30lb loss in a year isn't a blisteringly fast speed but it beats the HELL out of gaining, doesn't it? So you must be doing something right.

i keep trying to remind myself that. i keep saying that the way i've been eating, if i didn't have this, i would've probably gained like 50lbs. just so stressed out, and my favorite way to cope is to get high and eat. thanks for the words of encouragement.

I absolutely love that you asked that question! And what I love even more is that people answered you honestly and you didn't get bashed. Nice to know there are so many open minded people :lol: I have always gotten what I've called the "reverse munchies" for some reason smoking always takes away my appetite. I don't know anyone else like this. So last night I was really hungry and decided to take a hit or two (didn't want to cough) I then reclined on the sofa and had a wonderful and long conversation with an old friend who lives far away and after about 15 minutes realized for the first time in 5 days I had NO pain! Nothing. No hunger. Back didn't hurt. Port didn't hurt. No gas So if you don't have a problem with munchies...I would encourage any smoker to not be afraid to indulge a little :scared2: