Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

I have a question.. do they test for Marijuana before the surgery? or is it just for Nicotine?

OK, so I was doing real well at losing weight, then I started smoking pot and found that it relaxed my band and gave me the munchies, a very bad combination. I have gained back 15 of the 60 lbs that I had lost. I also find myself drinking more wine that I did before surgery. I think I may be replacing the eating with smoking pot and drinking. I have never had an addiction problem and would like to continue both smoking pot and drinking wine in moderation. Has anyone else experienced this? any ideas other than quitting both?:w00t:

OK, so I was doing real well at losing weight, then I started smoking pot and found that it relaxed my band and gave me the munchies, a very bad combination. I have gained back 15 of the 60 lbs that I had lost. I also find myself drinking more wine that I did before surgery. I think I may be replacing the eating with smoking pot and drinking. I have never had an addiction problem and would like to continue both smoking pot and drinking wine in moderation. Has anyone else experienced this? any ideas other than quitting both?:frown:

Oh yeah, I've noticed. It takes quite the balancing act to drink and smoke and still manage to lose the weight. I don't care about not eating but I gotta have my alcohol. As far as a suggestion, let me know when you find a good one please.

I was a big pot head years ago. It wasn't until the past month, and over 15 mos. post op, that I decided to start smoking again. This is my experience.

I do not have munchies like I remember having before surgery. Plus, I feel more constriction with the band after I smoke (to the point where it is difficult to get much of anything down). My advice would be to wait to smoke until you have a good constriction with your band, which can take months. Plus, with time, you would have developed good eating and exercising routines. I am still losing weight since smoking mj.

I was "miserable" the first 9 months post-op. My weight loss was slow, and I had no energy. But once I got to my proper "fill", the weight melted away and my energy levels soared. Personally, I think if I were smoking mj during those 9 months, I would have been more miserable and possibly sabatoged my weight loss. But everyone is different.

i'm so happy u posted this thread...on days i cant eat or dont have an appetite i smoke a bowl....or if i'm real nausated...i smoked everyday when i had to go on liquids for 8 days prior to my surgery....the nausea medicine didn't seem to help...the weed did the job...it also helped me to sleep...i smoked it after my Tummy Tuck too to kill the nausea and help me eat...i don't get the munchies...it does soothe my stomach when i need to eat a meal...marijuana is an awesome medicine and i cant wait for it to b legalized!!!!!!!! as a matter of fact i'll smoke a bowl 2-night....lol

I've been reading through this thread just to see what other people experience when they smoke marijuana after getting banded, and I am very disappointed. I thought this was a place where I can go to find answers and get support, but all I have found are judgmental people who obviously don't understand the meaning of support! How can someone who has been judged their whole life for being obese judge other people? I just can't wrap my head around it! I understand that everyone has their opinions and everyone has a natural human right to communicate their opinions, but to actually criticize someone who opposes your views is not right. I love my marijuana and am very proud of it and respect people who don't. It is their lifestyle choice and I cannot change that. This stereotype of lazy, uneducated pot heads has embedded itself in society and has conformed people into fearing something that they don't understand! I have been smoking marijuana since high school. I am not lazy and I am educated. I go to a great university and have a 3.7 GPA. I stopped smoking a month before my surgery just so my lungs could be clear. After two weeks pot-op I started smoking again and I have not had any munchies, like the lap band everyone has different experiences. I have friends who are also banded and they smoke so the food goes down better and they have not had problems with munchies. Again, everyone's' experiences will be different. If you feel like it is causing you to gain weight and it becomes a big problem then stop. You have to play it by ear. For me the best time to smoke is in the mornings when my band is tighter and I have a little chest pain.

With all that said, this was my first post. I was banded on 7/28 and had my first fill 9/9, so far I has lost 40lbs. I hope people understand that the world is filled with different people and different lifestyles. Please show the support, respect, and answers people come here to look for. :thumbup:

I've been reading through this thread just to see what other people experience when they smoke marijuana after getting banded, and I am very disappointed. I thought this was a place where I can go to find answers and get support, but all I have found are judgmental people who obviously don't understand the meaning of support! How can someone who has been judged their whole life for being obese judge other people? I just can't wrap my head around it! I understand that everyone has their opinions and everyone has a natural human right to communicate their opinions, but to actually criticize someone who opposes your views is not right. I love my marijuana and am very proud of it and respect people who don't. It is their lifestyle choice and I cannot change that. This stereotype of lazy, uneducated pot heads has embedded itself in society and has conformed people into fearing something that they don't understand! I have been smoking marijuana since high school. I am not lazy and I am educated. I go to a great university and have a 3.7 GPA. I stopped smoking a month before my surgery just so my lungs could be clear. After two weeks pot-op I started smoking again and I have not had any munchies, like the lap band everyone has different experiences. I have friends who are also banded and they smoke so the food goes down better and they have not had problems with munchies. Again, everyone's' experiences will be different. If you feel like it is causing you to gain weight and it becomes a big problem then stop. You have to play it by ear. For me the best time to smoke is in the mornings when my band is tighter and I have a little chest pain.

With all that said, this was my first post. I was banded on 7/28 and had my first fill 9/9, so far I has lost 40lbs. I hope people understand that the world is filled with different people and different lifestyles. Please show the support, respect, and answers people come here to look for. :laugh:

WELL SAID!!! :cursing:

I have a question.. do they test for Marijuana before the surgery? or is it just for Nicotine?

No they dont!!! So dont swet it just burn a fat one and chill. :)

No they dont!!! So dont swet it just burn a fat one and chill. :)

Lol I'm about to have one for everybody. Smoke and burn my friends.

I have to resurrect this thread. I actually have to use marijuana to get myself to eat. After banding and losing all this weight I've completely lost my appetite. I can go an entire day without eating and not feel any adverse reactions. But that's not healthy. So while I do smoke for pleasure, I use it to help me eat when I need to.

I think I may be replacing the eating with smoking pot and drinking. I have never had an addiction problem and would like to continue both smoking pot and drinking wine in moderation.

Sure you did...food...and it seems you recognize that you're trading off food for either pot or drinking or both.

I'm not a smoker of any variety. I believe if pot is illegal, then cigarettes and alcohol should be as well. They're far more destructive and addictive than pot as proven to be. I know many people on a personal level who use pot and are extremely high functioning intelligent people who are quite successful at the careers they've chosen.

All that said, pot is illegal and it amazes me that the owners of this site have no problem with promoting illegal behavior.

As for those who choose to break the law so publicly...at least when you get caught (post banded), you'll have the consolation that you'll look so much better in those prison jump suits than you did pre-banding.

I have to stand with Elfie Poo.

Yes089 I don't believe I'm judging the people, but the behavior.

What baffles me is everyone had this surgery to improve their health, and here you are doing something that is proven to be bad for your health. And don't tell me otherwise. Yes089 even stated in his/her post: I stopped smoking a month before my surgery just so my lungs could be clear.

What's the point of being thin if you're gonna die of lung cancer?:thumbup:

If you're weeks post op and having pain that otc pain relievers don't help, you need to be talking to your surgeon, not self medicating with illegal substances.

I am living the hell that illegal drug use puts teens and their parents through and I wish it on no one.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!! a prison jump suit for smoking weed?????????? lmao!!!!!!!!! where r u from and with that being said u obviously have no idea about prison...talk about what u know...don't make a complete ass out of urself!!!!!!!!!

ELFIEpoo and FATMOM..

I respect what you're saying and with that.. its REALLY TO EACHES OWN.

You state that Marijuana is illegal.. in What state are you in?

Have you done your studies on it?

I really feel before anyone goes off saying that Marijuana is an "illegal drug or is a bad drug"

DO YOUR RESEARCH. ITS AN HERB NATURALLY GROWN

IT IS NOT CHEMICALLY BASED

Sorry to be on the defense BUT-

My younger brother died of a brain tumor.

The first time around when he survived the cancer, marijuana was the ONLY THING that helped him eat. Because of "WEED" he survived THE CANCER for 5 years... (unfortunately.. it came back)

BUT let me tell you.. WITHOUT THE MARIJUANA.. I DON'T BELIEVE I WOULD'VE HAD ANOTHER 5 YEARS WITH MY BROTHER.

DO YOUR RESEARCH.. ITS TO EACHES OWN.. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE:rolleyes: