Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

Sometimes I cough so hard I wretch. No good, right?

I was very paranoid about coughing right after surgery, so laid off completely for a couple of weeks. After that, I indulge now and then but pack very small hits so I won't cough. The munchies are a bit of a problem but manageable - ff rice crackers FTW!

I don't get the munchies very bad. & its sad to say, that wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to stop. Haha.

I stopped smoking about a month ago because I was warned by my therapist that they will do a drug test with the pre-surgery testing, for the anesthesiologist.

I've going to give myself about 2 weeks after surgery before I light up again ... I think I'm looking forward to that more than anything else :heh:

An update on me:

I stuck to the plan I mentioned above. I'm now 5 months out from surgery and down almost 85lbs!!! And back to my regular smoking habits with no problems.

:)

Haha, get 'em Candle! I don't think I'm going to have any troubles with me smoking with my band. Anywho...

I learned recently that marijuana stimulates the endocannbinoid system and that an overactive endocannabinoid system leads to obesity - they have been actually working on diet medications that sort of work against the this. I would really limit marijuana use for that reason alone, i think it increases cravings and slows down you metabolism for longer than the time you are high.

Funny little piece of trivia here, they have developed diet drugs that work on supressing that system. You know what one of the major side effects of it is? Depression! Guess that system makes ya feel good, as if anyone reading this thread had to be told that, LOL.

Im not a pot head myself but I once was. I dont think a little pot will hurt your band. have at it! :biggrin:

Yeah, lets HOPE so! (crack?!)

I had terrible morning sickness/nausea/fullness feelings when I was PG, to the point that I was losing weight. I would have 1 small toke to help so I could eat! Yes, bad, bad, mommy! I had a beer now and then too. (My kids are all fine and very smart!) Anyway, it REALLY helped me to be able to eat since I was dizzy and felt half dead. Even with being careful with smoking now and then, I still lost 20 lbs with each PG! Only to gain it all back and lots more after each kid! Not worth having another one for a quick weight loss though! No WAY

I think in moderation, it would help pain and if someone is unable to eat at all. Just watch out for those munchies!

That's probably the stupidest post I've ever read on here!!!

First you compare smoking pot to smoking CRACK and then advise someone to DRINK alcohol over smoking pot ....

I agree....that was a dumb post.

In my opinion I would smoke mary J. before I would drink alcohol or eat crap after I get the band.

I don't really drink and the whole alcohol vs pot thing is a real hot button issue for me.

I've seen alcohol destroy a lot more lives than pot or any other drug for that matter. Look at the drunk driving stats alone.

I really don't understand how alcohol and cigarettes are legal but a plant that grows naturally from the earth, can put you in jail.

Candle. I had to laugh about the anethesiologist. I hadn't done that in a couple years, and by happenchance, ended up partaking the week before surgery. I didn't even think about it. They questioned me at my pre-op session regarding that, and I thought, "Crap, they're going to find it in my dirty piss anyway, so I might as well fess up." I told the truth. The nurse scolded me, and I was , yeah, yeah, I know, but I've done it like 5 times in the last 10 years. (I'm getting to old for that crap, but I WAS a product of the 70s *wink*) The day of surgery, my DH was sitting next to me and the nurse was going over my chart. She mentions this in front of my DH!!! This had been a private, girls weekend away, and I hadn't shared this tidbit of information with him..... You should have seen the look I got!!! I was furious with the nurse. Now two months later and he still gives me shit about it...... they did my surgery anyway.