Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight? How fast?

It's going to be what it's going to be.

The weight will come off where it comes off.....no such thing as targeting specific areas where it comes of first.

A lot of initial weight will be "Water weight".....sure. The only way I know of to reduce the percentage of post-op "water" weight loss vs fat loss is to lose that "water weight" before you have the surgery. Some of us have 6+ months of pre-op time to do so.

It's discouraging to see how few seem to lose weight during the months leading up to the surgery. I'm not referring to the liquid diet immediately before surgery.....but the months that lead up to that......the months that we are working with our nutritionists.

Some have tremendous restrictions and physical limitations and can only work on their calories consumed. They need the relief in order to really get themselves kick started and in motion. I get that and feel badly for them.

Others, though....have full capacity for exercise and just do nothing. It seems to me that if they can't get results leading up to their surgery then they'll likely have limited long term success. They seem lazy and awaiting a miracle.

Sorry, I'll quit griping. It just gets difficult reading through some of the posts of people who whine and complain that they didn't lose 700 lbs in 12 months and want to dwell on the hardships and complications of WLS.....yet expend so little effort towards doing something to ensure their WLS success other than show up for the surgery.

This is just a general rant and directed towards no specific members.....just the comments I see that seem to support laziness and whining. I know that I've been guilty of both this past year. It is very inspiring to see folks who hump it hard and work on both sides of the equation......burning calories in the gym as well as low calorie intake. No excuses....they just do it.

There are a lot of factors to this. Everyone is different. As long as the weight is going down and you are doing everything you were told I wouldn't worry. I lost 14 lbs pre-op and 18 lbs the first month. I average 2-3 pounds per week. At 11+ weeks post op I am half way to my goal. I have had no stalls. I only weigh weekly to keep my sanity. I am happy with the steady weight loss. Slow is still better than none.

I wouldn't worry.

Not worried! I was just surprised by what this nurse said and wondering if it could really be true? It just sounded unbelievable.

My doc said 2-3 lbs a week is average.

I had surgery 6/30. RNY. Lost 24 lbs in the first week (including the 2 days liquid pre op).

And..... nothing since. I've been in a 3 week stall. Everyone says its normal. I saw my dr a couple of days ago for my one month follow up.

She said once I start taking in more calories it'll start dropping. I've gone into starvation mode and my body is waiting for more nutrition.

Ok. I'll be patient...

do be patient! i just came out of a 3 week stall the end of july and the scales been moving ever since (with no shortage of lost inches!). lol when you're in it you think, aww man lol. but there is a light at the end of the tunnel :)

I'm four days postoperative RNY and I have lost 8 lbs. I'm scratching about 300 calories a day or less.

I'm four days postoperative RNY and I have lost 8 lbs. I'm scratching about 300 calories a day or less.

enjoy it while you can.. 2 lbs/day for 1st 10 days or so, then around 2 or 3 lbs/week :)

This is the guide I follow.

post-255522-14396433612036_thumb.jpg

I've lost 22 lbs so far and my surgery was on 8/4.

RNY on Aug 10th and have lost over 20lbs since coming home on the 11th. I was allowed to sip my Protein Shakes right from the start along with all the Water I could handle...wondering if that and the fact I was able to start walking almost immediately has helped. I don't expect this rate to continue, but I'm heading for the 200 club and darn happy about it.

I've lost 22 lbs so far and my surgery was on 8/4.

was that including your pre op? Since August 4th I have lost 11 pounds but 34 in total including the pre op

No, this is after surgery. I didn't go on a diet or anything before surgery. I've 24 lbs. so far.

Wow you are loosing faster than me huh I just now feel good enough to go walking had you been excersicing?

Hi Niki.. didn't lose anything pre op.. but now I hit the dreaded 3 week plateau .. no weight loss in 6 days :(

Hassan thank god I am not alone ..I have decided to revise my protien and Water as may not be getting enough of both ..Keeping a journal now I have my pre op visit wed ..

Post op 2 week I mean