Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those of you that drink alcohol

I'm almost 1 month out and I've had a glass of wine twice this week.

I'm not a big beer drinker but my doctor also says NO carbonation.

As far as mixed drinks go ... I never liked soda in liquor anyway and I'm just going to try and stay away from a lot of high calorie fruit juices.

It's all just empty calories ...

I drink around 4-5 times a week! I can't handle beer because of the fizziness of it. Kills my stomach. I love Jose Quevo and can't drink it anymore because it burns to bad! I usually drink some red wine or my favorite is a Cape Cod with Vodka/cranberry juice but have to be careful of the calories in alcohol. I never realized how much was in them until you really start looking at it!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Is wine a liquid? Hell yeah, I drank wine my first week!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

About 3 weeks post op I was at a Mexican restaurant and REALLY wanted a Margaritta, I got a frozen one and started to slowly sip it. About 1/2 thru I knew I was in trouble and by the end I would have sworn I had 4 of them! It went down okay but wow, I couldn't believe how drunk I was on only one of them! This is a local place where I have drank 4 or 5 in a night before. Anyway, havn't had anything else, but this weekend is my birthday so I'll probably try again.

I'm so glad you posted your margarita story! My huband and I LOVE margaritas from El Coyote. I was afraid I might have to live without them! Now I'll just be a "cheap date!"

I think you might get drunker quicker due to the small stomach and the little amount of food that's in there.

Less food=more drunk, right?

I think you might get drunker quicker due to the small stomach and the little amount of food that's in there.

Less food=more drunk, right?

Right. :) We have two stomachs (don't cows have more than one stomach too? HA!) It's not really the size of your stomach as it goes right through to the next one (kinda) but you have MUCH less food in your stomach and intestines and it's absorbed immediately.

I have found that I get absolutely drunk immediately after one drink but it doesn't last long. I'm sober again in a very short time.

I don't drink much anyway but now I'm a lightweight in a huge way.

i drink once a month maybe even less ........... actually last month went to Celebrate the end of school an found after two shots i was gone.... Pre-band i was able to drink a lot more (like 20 shots of Bailey's new years eve :heh:) i think its definitely because we have less food in our stomachs ( i used to always eat a big steak dinner before i went drinking):hungry: and now its more like 4-6oz of chicken and thats it.......... but i really don't miss the drinking or the large dinners, just a small sacrifice is for being healthy is so worth it!!!!!

I have been sitting here all night trying to figure out what's wrong with my band since I have such bad heartburn. My GERD has been gone for the last year since banding. I was sure that I had slipped (even though I can still eat the right portion sizes)

Then it occurred to me this all started after having a Mikes Hard Lemonade last night. This was my first alcoholic drink in the last year and I am pretty sure it's the culprit.

Right now I am waiting for the antacid to kick in I definitely have not missed the reflux !

I had a couple glasses of white wine a few weeks after surgery. My drink was White Russians, in fact I'd say they were my downfall. I absolutely loved them and I could drink them down like Water. Now when I look at the calories just one has, it's no wonder I got so fat. I have had a few White Russians since my surgery but they really made me feel full, which they never used to do, so I only drank a couple. And I've found I don't enjoy them as much as I used to, and I am so happy about that. I've pretty much eliminated them from my diet now. I do drink white wine and like some of the other posters have said, I get much more of a buzz on much less wine than it used to take. I don't know if it's because of the band, because I'm drinking less often, and/or because I'm not eating as much as I used to. Whatever.... I've learned to sip slowly, and make one glass last awhile.

Here's a link to a similar thread you may find helpful:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/how-soon-can-i-have-glass-wine-48986/

I was told to wait 4 weeks post surgery. Remember, alcohol may affect you differently.... you have less calories and food to absorb it than you may be used to, and you will likely weigh less. For my first glass of wine, I actually had 1/2 wine 1/2 Water and took baby sips and finished it in 40 minutes. A few days later, less Water in the wine, and it only took me 20 minutes. After having wine a few more times after that, I realized I need to have some food with it -- so I have 15 little goldfish crackers about 15 min before I have the wine. If I don't have a little something in my stomach, I feel tipsy and kinda drunk pretty quick, even on a small amount of wine. I know this is against the bandster rules to eat with liquids, but it works for me only in alcohol scenarios. Once I am finished with the wine, I then wait 10 min until I start my dinner. If I want to resume drinking wine, I will wait a full 60 min after I complete my dinner.

Bottom line: you need to ease into alcohol use to see how it will affect you, and you may want to start out doing it at home and not in a social setting.