Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Pain vs Cesarean Pain

My sister in law had the sleeve but has never had a cesarean.

When I told her I was going to work after 5 days (My surgery hasn't happened yet), she said I didn't understand how painful it would be and that I would have to be down for over two weeks.

My Dr assured me that is not the case.

So, input? I thought that if I can get through the pain of 3 CSections, that I would be able to handle the pain of the sleeve laproscopically. I know it will hurt. Im not saying it wont.

(I was up after my 3rd CSection after 5 hours, walking. And I went back to work after 2 weeks.)

Nope! I had the same thought, I had 2 c sections. The incision pain isn't the problem it's the gas pain. I just had surgery Monday and I was in the worst pain I've ever felt. My advice... Take the 2 weeks

I had Surgery on July1, and I didn't really have any pain at all. I had some discomfort initially on the first few days post op, but nothing that tylenol couldn't help. I took the 2 weeks off not because of any pain, but because I found that I needed a nap every day LOL. I go in for my 2 week post op visit today, and am sure my surgeon will let me return to work. Good Luck with your surgery!!

I didn't have a c-section however I have had a hysterectomy as well as gall bladder surgery and was filleted wide open. The sleeve surgery was by far, in my opinion, much easier pain wise in terms of incisions. This is because I wasn't filleted like a fish!

Luckily I had enough time saved to take off a month and a half because I couldn't imagine going back to work after sleeve surgery. Mind you, I have a very low pain threshold. My cousin had a hysterectomy and she was up and at 'em within 2 weeks! But she's a warrior! Lol

Best thing to do is do what your body and physician tells you. Don't push yourself too hard. It is important to take time to heal. If you have to go back to work sooner than you'd like, make sure employer knows you have to take it easy. Get a medical note.

Where I work, eating in the job is frowned upon but I have a note on file so they must comply. I also rest as needed. But I am lucky in that my job is structured so I can do these things...I am at a desk.

I didn't have a c-section however I have had a hysterectomy as well as gall bladder surgery and was filleted wide open. The sleeve surgery was by far, in my opinion, much easier pain wise in terms of incisions. This is because I wasn't filleted like a fish!

Luckily I had enough time saved to take off a month and a half because I couldn't imagine going back to work after sleeve surgery. Mind you, I have a very low pain threshold. My cousin had a hysterectomy and she was up and at 'em within 2 weeks! But she's a warrior! Lol

Best thing to do is do what your body and physician tells you. Don't push yourself too hard. It is important to take time to heal. If you have to go back to work sooner than you'd like, make sure employer knows you have to take it easy. Get a medical note.

Where I work, eating in the job is frowned upon but I have a note on file so they must comply. I also rest as needed. But I am lucky in that my job is structured so I can do these things...I am at a desk.

I have a lot of freedom at my job. It doesn't require any strenuous activity, I can walk when I need to, eat when I want, take breaks when I want to, So I am thankfully in a very good position for this.

I will take it easy and go home if I need to on my first days back. I think I will be ok because I have a high threshold for pain, but I will listen to my body. They know I am having surgery so if I need anything they will accommodate.

I too have had multiple open stomach surgeries and then the RNY bypass. I have a very high pain threshold as I have also had multiple spine surgery which are the worst pain I have ever had.

In terms of pain you will be fine in that two weeks. I will say that the gas pain is much worse that the surgical pain but that should be well out of your system at that point.

What I will say is that giving yourself enough time to get your fluids in is difficult even when you are solely focused on only that. The minute you get involved in something other than that focus you may forget to eat and drink which you are constantly doing for many weeks following this type of surgery. If you forget you get defeated and sick and it is very difficult to catch up because your new tummy volume don't tolerate it.

My advice would be to take the time needed to get used to your new way of nourishment. For me that took about a month until I was able to get enough in me daily. Also those first 4 weeks I was very weak and tired and had to nap daily. Again, this has more to do with your nourishment than pain.

I had no complications at all.

Hope this gets you thinking about it a bit.

The problem is that I am unable financially to take off any time. A week is all I have and if I don't work, the kids don't eat. I wish it were different. I hear you guys and will def. listen to my body. If I just can't work, then I wont but I don't know what that will do to us financially. I just pray I will be ok.

My Dr said to set a timer on my phone for every 10-15 min to remind myself to drink. I'm going to see if that helps. And I was thinking of getting a container that will have all of my Water in it so I know how much I have left to drink for the day.

Thanks for all the tips.

I need you guys!!

down for over two weeks???? Dr assured me that is not the case.

@@theatrejo

hi, can't relate to C-section vs sleeve

frequently said on the board, "we all are different"

react differently to pain etc

some people might take one month (or more) to heal, feel rested, ready to go back to work

others maybe 3 weeks, 2, 1 etc

i have heard of people having surgery on a friday going to work on monday :o

i think they are the exception to the rule

feel fine, ready for anything ;)

its not written in blood or stone ;) that you will definitely need at least 2 weeks off

your job situation sounds perfect regarding the freedom to walk, eat, drink, take breaks etc

everyone sounds nice too, knowing your situation

sounds like they might be a little sympathetic, helpful to you :)

just a thought/suggestion........

maybe you could take 3 full days off

then take 1/2 days for the remaining of you time off (couple of days would be stretched out into 4 days)

good thoughts and wishes on a speedy, healthy recovery :)

surgery beginning of september??

good luck :)

take care :rolleyes:

kathy

Never had a C-section but I didn't really have pain with the sleeve. I had one morphine shot in the hospital and one dose of liquid Vicodan. And the liquid Vicodan was because I had a major headache and that's all they were allowed to give me.

The gas problem I had was in my left shoulder and I just kept walking and massaging it out. The incisions were sore, but not really painful.

My big problem was total exhaustion. The first week was awful. After a shower I had to sit on the bed for about 5 minutes before I could get dressed and I had to sit down to dry my hair and do makeup. I went back to work the 2nd week but I work from home. I started around 10:00 a.m. and by 3:00 p.m. I was back in bed. By the 3rd week it was much better.

just a thought/suggestion........

maybe you could take 3 full days off

then take 1/2 days for the remaining of you time off (couple of days would be stretched out into 4 days)

surgery beginning of september??

kathy

----Surgery is Aug 20th. I wish it were tomorrow!

Thats a good idea about work. Perhaps I will see how I feel and if I need to take a half day for a while, then I will.

I've had both.

C section itself I thought was more painful by far. I had a post op infection so that may have made it worse in the long run.

Sleeve surgery itself was so much easier. Much less pain for sure. I was out of work for 2 weeks but could easily have gone back after a week. I have a desk job, though, so that makes a difference.

The one thing you may struggle with is fatigue and limited food intake. I was on full liquids week 1 post op and purées by the 2nd week.

Just plan your food and rest as much as possible. If you could do the C section, the sleeve should be fine. ????

My second c-section was way worse than the sleeve. I went back to work at 2 weeks with sleeve. Could have went back earlier. I was walking slow but it wasn't difficult