Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about 2 days shy of being three weeks post op and I still cannot get my recommended Water intake or Protein intake goals met. I am just not that hungry or thirsty. The only thing that tastes good is saltine crackers with some diet margarine. I know protein is super important but I cannot seem to get it down. I can drink half a Protein Shake and then I am done with it. Any suggestions?

It gets easier. I didn't want to even drink after surgery -- I just didn't have the urge even, but eventually it subsides. How long does it take you to drink half of a Protein Shake right now?

During the first few weeks it can be hard meeting the requirements but then it gets easier with time. Find a Protein shake you can tolerate. I would blend in a half a banana into my Muscle Milk Light (vanilla cream) powder using Water and my Ninja blender and it help to make the Protein Shake tolerable. The important thing is to experiment. [The banana does not count against your meal allotment.]

Christina, I'm in the exact same boat. My surgery was June 16. I have started refried Beans and yogurt to suppliment the Protein Drink, but still have never since surgery hit my 60 g of Protein or 64 oz of Water. Pre-surgery diet was 2 weeks of Protein Drinks only, and I did fine......but I could drink them much faster. Now it is very hard to get them down. I see the nutritionist tomorrow and hope to get some pointers. I'm sure this is what is making me feel blah also.

It is very hard in the beginning and I am not really getting a lot of Protein from my food choices yet, but I am relearning "satisfied" and getting used to textures. May not be the answer you are looking for but unfortunately "tastes good" isn't the name of the game right now. Saltines, while approved, may not be the best choice. Especially after something nice and salty like that, I'm not sure I would want a Protein Drink either. What kinds have you tried? Have you enhanced them with anything like some of the Torani sugar free syrups? (I used salted caramel in my Premier Protein vanilla shake.) What have you tried to eat? The Ricotta Bake from TheWorldAccordingtoEggface.com is very good. Fat free refried Beans with some spices added in and a tiny amount of greek yogurt blended in makes it creamier and increases the Protein. I have also been able to eat humus in small amounts, pimento cheese (with lowfat mayo), sugar free pudding cups mixed with unflavored Protein Powder, and greek yogurt mixed with a tiny bit of Sugar Free Fat Free cheesecake pudding mix and some raspberry sugar free Syrup was my latest creation. Keep trying. If you can't stomach what you try, throw it out and try it again in a few days. It is really trial and error right now.

I am about 2 days shy of being three weeks post op and I still cannot get my recommended Water intake or Protein intake goals met. I am just not that hungry or thirsty. The only thing that tastes good is saltine crackers with some diet margarine. I know protein is super important but I cannot seem to get it down. I can drink half a Protein Shake and then I am done with it. Any suggestions?

Ughhhh saltines sound soooo good! I'm only 6 days out but cannot WAIT for saltines!!!!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. It takes about 30-45 minutes for me to drink half a Protein Shake. Hopefully I was just having a bad day yesterday. I feel much more motivated this morning.