Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my pre-insurance testing today. Only to find out I have to have supervised weigh ins for 6 months. I was a little down. I also have to lose some weight but they didn't tell me how much yet. I am thinking positive that this will help me in the long run to be successful with surgery. But I still feel down. Anyone else go through this?

Yep. I have Kaiser so I went through the 12 weeks in the options program. Also during that time I had to lose 10% of my body weight. I first contacted my doctor in late January 2015. My surgery date is set for this Monday. It has felt like a long wait because I see all of the other posts where people talk about having a date and now it's finally my turn. So long story short, yes I had to do something similar to what you are being required to do.

I'm going through it now with my insurance. I have my last appointment next week before the doctor submits all of information (visits, psych evaluation, primary care doctor and nutritionist visits) to the insurance company. The time will fly by plus it gives you more room to plan. Be encouraged!

Yep. I have Kaiser so I went through the 12 weeks in the options program. Also during that time I had to lose 10% of my body weight. I first contacted my doctor in late January 2015. My surgery date is set for this Monday. It has felt like a long wait because I see all of the other posts where people talk about having a date and now it's finally my turn. So long story short, yes I had to do something similar to what you are being required to do.

So you had to do 12 weeks and then wait another 12? I was just told they want to see some progress. I feel sad now I have to modify my eating and be hungry and it has been so hard to begin with. The NUT gave me good tips and I am hoping I can follow them through.

I'm going through it now with my insurance. I have my last appointment next week before the doctor submits all of information (visits, psych evaluation, primary care doctor and nutritionist visits) to the insurance company. The time will fly by plus it gives you more room to plan. Be encouraged!

Which insurance do you have? I have Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I have United Healthcare. They don't require me to loose a certain amount of weight but my surgeon wanted me to go to the nutritionist and the insurance requires the psych evaluation

If you switch to a higher Protein and lower carb eating plan I promise you won't get as hungry and it is what you will be eating after surgery. I used My fitness pal and logged what I ate and I literally could not eat as much as I was allowed.

every pound you lose now puts you closer to your goal for after surgery! You can do this!!

So you had to do 12 weeks and then wait another 12? I was just told they want to see some progress. I feel sad now I have to modify my eating and be hungry and it has been so hard to begin with. The NUT gave me good tips and I am hoping I can follow them through.

So after I inquired about the program at the end of January, I got an information packet in the mail and signed up for the mid February information session. At that information session, I signed up for the classes that were 3/11-5/27. Once those were over, I had my surgeon consultation where my date was set for July 7th then changed to July 6th. Most of my time was spent waiting for the next steps in the beginning.

And when I was on my diet, I was never hungry and I think the Protein shakes had a lot to do with that. It wasn't about denying yourself food, it was about making better choices when you did feel hungry. Portion Control was definitely something I had to work on, that is probably my biggest issue.

I also had the six month wait... I was bummed about it. But the time passed quickly. Especially because you are weighing in monthly and it's amazing how quickly that tome passes when you are trying to drop some lbs and being held accountable for it! It will go faster than you think. Good luck on your journey!

I have seen a lot of thin people drink Protein Shakes. So there must be something to

It. I bought mine today and will drink tomorrow.

I have seen a lot of thin people drink Protein Shakes. So there must be something to

Just watch the carb count of the shakes you choose. Body builders drink a lot of Protein shakes but they tend to want to gain weight. Look at the carb to protein ratio carefully.

My insurance requires six months of medically supervised diet priot to approval as a standard, so don't feel alone. I haven't even started yet, but I know it is comming so I can handle it. I have been dieting my whole life so six months will be a walk in the park.

I also am looking forward to maybe learning something new in an adversary free atmosphere. Most of my docs have been adverserial about my weight which puts me off as well as makes me confrontational. Anyway the team from my surgions office does not seem to be that way, so I am kind of looking forward to it.

I have seen a lot of thin people drink Protein shakes. So there must be something to

Just watch the carb count of the shakes you choose. Body builders drink a lot of Protein Shakes but they tend to want to gain weight. Look at the carb to Protein ratio carefully.

Agreed, watch the carbs. You want a Protein powder with really low carbs and higher Fiber. The more Fiber and protien the more full you will feel. Check with your bariatric doc's office too. i know mine has his own powder he designed specifically for his patients. It's pretty good too.

Premier Protein shakes have:

160 calories

30g protein

1g sugar

3g total fat

They are not chalky at all and not thick and hard to choke down.