Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

With the band you only lose x lbs. Why?

I'm deliberating between lapband and bypass. I've read that with theband you'll lose less -- I've seen from 30-50% of excess weight. For me, this wouldn't be worth the risk if I'm going to only lose 30% or maybe even 50%. As long as you keep the band tightened, why wouldn't you just keep losing til you reach your goal? I understand that it would take longer than with bypass, which is understandable, but why would the total amount lost be lower than bypass? I'd start at 300 and don't want to end up at just 225 or someithing.

JodyG~

The results of the band are completely dependent upon the patient. The difference between the bypass and the band (aside from the fact that one is much more invasive than the other), is that the band is just a tool. YOU have to make it work. I have seen people on here lose more than 200 lbs. I started at 307, and right now, I'm at 275 (after being banded 05/31/07). You still have to change the way you eat. You still have to excercise. The band is the "tool" that will help you not to cheat.

Have you been to a weight loss seminar yet? The one I went to gave details on the bypass and the lap-band. They weren't "selling" one over the other, just gave the facts on both. They posted weight loss charts side by side for both surgeries. Over a 2 year period, the bypass patients had significant weight loss during the first 9 months, with a more gradual loss over the next 6 months, and then a slow climb up after that. The Lap-Band chart showed a gradual weight loss over a 2 year period and at the end of those two years, it was even with the bypass chart.

My suggestion. . .do some more research, attend a seminar (if you haven't already) and make the decision that is right for you.

Good Luck on your journey!! :)

I think that it really depends on the diet plan that goes with this. My Dr. has a really strict plan that goes with it. I think I will have a good sucesss If I stick with his plan!! He said that 70-90% in one year but, he has a really strict diet plan. If you want me to share it with you I can. Good Luck. You will loose more with by-pass becasue they by-pass a lot of your small intestine so the nutrition can not absorbe. With the band you can still absorb everything you put in you and digest it, that's why the diet is so important with the band. Good Luck

The band is totally up to you. It's not a magival device that makes weight drop off. You have to work it and to make it work. For instance--fish was a rare food for me-fried foods was frequently my flavor. I got the band put in March 28th-07....I have only lost 30 pounds...But It's an average of 2.5 pounds each week......Now--actually I need to be working harder at the weight loss. I have a serious problem--it's summer time and i live in a small town...one gym--no day care.PLus I am a single Parent. But I do walk a lot and I need to get back on the Bike and ride...It's ok..I am doing well at 2.5---but I want to get it up to 3.3..I am dead serious about this....If you allow yourself to listen to folks who really don't know...well--it'll be all on you. If I had listened to the many stupid things people said--that 30 pounds would possibly be a 30 pound gain...Do what you want--but if you go for the band--do it because you want it,...not because your silly Doctor said something stupid...do serious research first...

I think that it really depends on the diet plan that goes with this. My Dr. has a really strict plan that goes with it. I think I will have a good sucesss If I stick with his plan!! He said that 70-90% in one year but, he has a really strict diet plan. If you want me to share it with you I can. Good Luck. You will loose more with by-pass becasue they by-pass a lot of your small intestine so the nutrition can not absorbe. With the band you can still absorb everything you put in you and digest it, that's why the diet is so important with the band. Good Luck

I am being banded July 23 and I would really be interested in seeing your doctors diet plan if you wouldn't mind. Would you please email it to me at jackie_435@yahoo.com. I would like to print it. Thank you

Yes, Would you please share your food plan.

thank-you

those are only statistics - and include people who are non compliant, people who are older and much less active, people who dont exercise, people who cant break old habits, people who suffer complications etc.

Its up to you to take the bull by the horns and make this work the way you want it to. There is no reason not to lose 100% of your weight, barring complications, if that's what you want

Thanks for that post alexandra. Makes me even more confirdent of my decision to be banded.

The band is very gradual. I have seen people lose 100 lbs in a year but they really worked out a lot. You need to know that ahead of time. I havent worked out that much this year and have only lost 50 lbs. So it can be true that the first year you lose 30-50% of your excess weight. In my case it was 50%. If you have to lose say 125 lbs plan on it taking at least 2 years. That is my bet. Good luck.

I know this does not answer your question, but I just wanted to say, that if I could stick to a strict food plan, I wouldn't need the band to begin with! Thank goodness, that the only information on food from my doctor was all about taking time to savor your food and make smarter decisions while still allowing for the occassional indulgence. This was a booklet from Austraillia where they have been banding for a lot longer than here in the US and it is very well written and also deals with the emotional side of hunger.

Also, my doctors team always stresses that they give people three years to lose all of their excess weight. I liked that approach, because in three years a whole lot is possible. If you had 100 pounds to lose then that would be 33 pounds a year...that is very doable to me. I don't know what everyone else's doctors say, but I am sticking with the three years...that gives me LOTS of room for getting the hang of this....GOod luck and you can make it happen!! Deanna

3 and 5 year studies show that RNY and Lap-Band have virtually the same success rates. around 55 to 60 % and again those are just averages. RNY looses more and faster, but tend to regain about 10% after the first year and a half to 2 years.

All the studies I have seen also show the gastric bypass and the lap band have the same end results in five years. I have researched this a lot and have made the decision to do it based on the slower weight loss and hopeful less excess skin. It is your decision but I do agree you need to attend a class. They are very informative and help you make the right decision. I have just begun the process and am waiting for insurance approval but feel it is the right decision for me.

Critical difference that I don't see discussed much here:

Two general types of overweight folks (I know, nobody is just one 'type', but the categories do work...)

1. Grazers, who snack heavily between reasonable meals and before bed.

2. Portion Control problems, who don't snack much, but eat way too much at meals.

The Lap-Band works best for people with primarily portion control problems. If you are a grazer, you can be successful with a lap-band, but it takes an increase in self-control. If you snack constantly during the day, you can get way too many calories even with good restriction, since the pouch is 'topped off' as it empties into the rest of the stomach. Also, if you snack on chocolate, ice cream, chips, milkshakes, real soda, etc., it doesn't even stay in the pouch, just flows right on into the stomach.

The Lap-Band relies heavily upon your self-control...mostly following the eating guidelines, in order to be successful. As others have said, it isn't a magical device that allows you to eat anything and still lose weight.

So, for grazers, my surgeon recommends the bypass, since it takes less self-control to be successful. Many bypass patients experience 'sugar dumping', which is a very uncomfortable feeling, sometimes leading to nausea, from eating something high in sugar...the sugar gets 'dumped' right into the system much faster than normal. Also, the food bypasses part of the small intestine, so less calories are absorbed into the body. With Lap-Band, calories are absorbed just like they used to be before surgery.

Lap-Band: restriction only...feel fuller with less food.< /p>

Bypass: restriction and reduced absorption.

I'm not advocating bypass...I'm a portion control problem, and got the band. However, it really isn't for everyone, and I believe it requires research, education, and an honest look at yourself to make the decision.

Caveat: I am not a medical professional, I'm just relaying what I was told by my surgeon.