Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair issues - 15 months out. Is this the new normal post WLS?

I'm going to be honest here - before I had WLS, I would look at people's before/after pictures and always notice a huge difference in their hair. After much research I became familiar with Hair loss as being one side effect of of WLS. For the most part, it was temporary but my hair has never returned to its healthy, shiny, full state pre-surgery. I know I'm not alone when I look at other's pictures (sorry, don't mean to sound judgmental, but I've almost become an expert on being able to call out which skinny people have had WLS based on their lackluster hair!). I take Vitamins and eat my Protein requirement everyday. Is this my new normal? Dry, thin hair at 15 months post surgery? Any suggestions?

Signed,

Skinny Mop Head

(I had the sleeve, so malabsorption issues shouldn't be an issue here)

Edited by Bluesea71

I'm curious also...I am pre-sleeve and am very worried, as my hair has always been very fine and diabetes and other health issues already have my hair falling out(I was crying at the doc office thinking I'm going bald)....

When I expressed concern about hair loss, my bariatrician recommended Biotin as a preventative, so that may be worth a look.

I did not experience hair loss at all. I did take Biotin, but not the little 325 mcg that Walgreen's sells. I got the 10,000 mcg (also at Walgreen's) and took two a day - and still do. Also, I have Gelatin every day and make a fresh pot of bone broth Soup every week.

I am 18 months out and at age 63 have the thickest healthiest hair I have ever had. Even my hairdresser has noticed and asked what I am doing. Other than that, I do the same as almost everyone else, such as drinking my fluids (80-100 ounces of Water daily) and getting in my Protein (80 - 100 grams daily).

Prior to surgery, my nails were brittle and flakey, too. Along about month three post-op they started to respond to excellent nutrition and supplements. My skin was flakey up until then and has gotten very soft. But I think that is in part to exfoliation with each shower and a rubdown with almond oil. Boy...this is so much work - but I was warned.

When I expressed concern about Hair loss, my bariatrician recommended Biotin as a preventative, so that may be worth a look.

I started taking the maximum amount of biotin (and zinc!) pre- surgery. I've been the most compliant WLS patient regarding everything I "should" be doing. That's why I'm wondering if its just me or if others have noticed this long term effect. It isn't as thin anymore but it isn't how it used to be!

This hair loss thing is such a crap shoot. Who's to say that Biotin and supplements aren't just expensive pee and the Hair loss is the luck of the draw?

My hair is not what it used to be. It's definitely thinner and less fuller and softer. So I cut it short to minimize this...and I like it short as it turns out. More importantly, I'm a normal size and I have good mobility again. This more than makes up for the Hair loss.< /p>

I had huge amounts of hair loss between the 5 to 12 month mark. Fortunately I have extremely thick hair so it wasn't that noticeable. I would say after 12 months my hair started to thicken up again, but remember that if you have had significant Hair loss (I had massive handfuls coming out in the shower and clogging the drain) it takes a long time for that hair to grow back to a reasonable length. If you are patient I think it should eventually return to normal, provided you are getting the Vitamins and minerals you need.

@@Bluesea71 you are not alone. I am one year post op and my hair has fallen out terribly. It also isn't as shiny and healthy looking either. Also,like you, I take Biotin (10,000mg), zinc, am compliant with my Vitamins, Protein, and Fluid intake. I also added folic acid to my regime. I have tried emu oil, lots of coconut oil, argon oil, as various essential oils. Nothing has made a difference. I also started taking liquid silica added to my Water everyday. That has helped to slow the loss the most, but still hasn't really helped with the dry brittle look, or completely stopped the loss. I just started castor oil treatments ( today was my first day) so I am hoping that helps. I just massaged some on my scalp and have been letting it soak in all day.

@@Miss Mac the Gelatin sounds like a good idea, I will start taking that.

Hair loss must just be the luck of the draw. If anyone else has any suggestions I will try it.

Good luck Bluesea71 maybe yours will eventually get better.

Thanks for the dosage info on the Biotin.

As for the Gelatin, are you eating Jello, or drinking something like Knox Gelatin?

TIA

I did not experience hair loss at all. I did take Biotin, but not the little 325 mcg that Walgreen's sells. I got the 10,000 mcg (also at Walgreen's) and took two a day - and still do. Also, I have gelatin every day and make a fresh pot of bone broth Soup every week.

I am 18 months out and at age 63 have the thickest healthiest hair I have ever had. Even my hairdresser has noticed and asked what I am doing. Other than that, I do the same as almost everyone else, such as drinking my fluids (80-100 ounces of Water daily) and getting in my Protein (80 - 100 grams daily).

Prior to surgery, my nails were brittle and flakey, too. Along about month three post-op they started to respond to excellent nutrition and supplements. My skin was flakey up until then and has gotten very soft. But I think that is in part to exfoliation with each shower and a rubdown with almond oil. Boy...this is so much work - but I was warned.

I started having Hair loss at about 3 weeks post op I'm 4 months post op now and the loss has been massive I had extremely thick naturally curly hair that grew like a weed the 13 th I went to get my hair done cut and color didn't need a cut more than half my hair has fallen out I wake up to hair all over the bed brushing hair ends up with wads of hair in brush same in shower I can barely make a puny ponytail used to be I could barely get the elastic tie around the hair I'd stretch them out after a couple weeks and have to use new ones constantly it's getting scary I'm eating everything I'm allowed can only manage a few bites per meal drinking fluids like crazy taking all Vitamins I was told to take and to add insult to injury my weight loss has slowed a lot last three weeks is about three lbs a week before was at least 6 lbs a week I'm down about 90 lbs since surgery in late February having an appt at bariatric July 10 my first since my post op appt I'm worried I'm going to get told I'm not losing enough which is just going to bring me major anxiety which I don't need on top of the hair loss the one thing I didn't hate about myself when I was fat uhh ok still fat but now losing the one nice feature I had so depressing.....

Ok shellyd88, slooowwwwww waaaayyyyyyyy dooooowwnnnn !! You're "only " loosing 3 lbs a week, and you're complaining ? I think you're doing great !! It sounds like you're more worried about a number on the scale than if your body is getting stronger and healthier ? Hopefully youre seeing good results and not just on the scale. ( Stay. Off. The. Scale.............) As far as hair, I don't know what to say. I have thin , fine straight hair, never lost ANY after surgery, but made 2 changes and now have healthier fine straight hair. 1-taking Biotin EVERY DAY ! It was about 1-2 months before I noticed a difference , and my nails are growing healthier from the inside, finally growing out a toenail infection that I've fought for 8 years! 2- Switch to a "No Sulphates " Shampoo and conditioner, I swear by Joico brand, sold at salons and T.J. Maxx. Good luck !!!!!

At about month 3 mine started falling out, and it lasted about 2 months. My nurse practioner suggested Nioxin Shampoo (made for chemo patients) as a stimulant for the hair follicles. Now, I can't say it works for that or not, but the hair HAS stopped falling out, and it is the same texture now as before, and it is gorgeously shiny and healthy. No split ends, no frizz, no oily, greasy hair, and I don't need to wash it but once every 3 days or so. The "baldier" spots seem to have filled in, so I assume it is growing back, and those spots are not nearly as visible now. Now I alternate Nioxin with a regular shampoo, just to see what will happen. Been doing that for about 2 weeks, and still no more loss. Now that my diet has "normalized", I am attributing that to the ceasing of the Hair loss. I think the shock of the surgery is over for my body (it's been over 6 months since the surgery), and everything seems to be leveling out. Miss Mac said it straight...it has to be the luck of the draw, as I, too, have been very good about Biotin, all my Vitamins and Protein from day one. Good luck to all, and remember, it is just temporary!

Ok shellyd88, slooowwwwww waaaayyyyyyyy dooooowwnnnn !! You're "only " loosing 3 lbs a week, and you're complaining ? I think you're doing great !! It sounds like you're more worried about a number on the scale than if your body is getting stronger and healthier ? Hopefully youre seeing good results and not just on the scale. ( Stay. Off. The. Scale.............) As far as hair, I don't know what to say. I have thin , fine straight hair, never lost ANY after surgery, but made 2 changes and now have healthier fine straight hair. 1-taking Biotin EVERY DAY ! It was about 1-2 months before I noticed a difference , and my nails are growing healthier from the inside, finally growing out a toenail infection that I've fought for 8 years! 2- Switch to a "No Sulphates " Shampoo and conditioner, I swear by Joico brand, sold at salons and T.J. Maxx. Good luck !!!!!

Everything you posted above my friend. Try to enjoy the ride Shelly. It really is the journey as much as the destination. Make a list of your NSVs and focus on that instead of the number on the scale. I bet you have dozens of them.

gigito2, I have sugar-free Jello every day. Also, bone broth Soup has a small amount of natural Gelatin in it, plus the extra nutrients from the bone marrow.