Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still fat mentally?

I still see myself as fat although I have lost 80lbs and now wear a size 6 shorts. Has anyone else experienced this? I lost the weight quite rapidly, since January 20th 2015. Will my mental image readjust with time? My husband fears that I will loose too much weight.

I agree that you've lost a lot of weight very fast. Faster than me.

I don't think I'm fat anymore. But feeling relatively slim is also a new shift in perspective for me.

I wear 8s and 10s right now. Not 6s.

I think if you're really wearing 6s and feel fat ... that's a little strange.

Sixes are very, very small!

It seems like sizes are larger than they were 40 years ago. I have never worn a size 6 before but I can remember wearing a size 9 and I don't feel like I am that small. I have always been big busted so I don't wear a size 6 on top. I am not even sure what the correct size dress or fitted top would be since I haven't tried on dresses yet.

I can understand your thought process. I have been below goal since April and I float around 126 pounds, but I still see myself as fat, even though logically I am not. The guy I'm dating tells me all the time how cute and tiny and small and various other synonyms for "not fat" I am, although since he doesn't know my history of obesity I suppose he doesn't realize quite how much I love hearing those words. I still feel self conscious about eating in front of people, especially since I tend to eat a lot of small meals all day long. I feel a bit like people think I am somehow a skinny-pig, which I think is totally irrational. I still have fat days, where I put on my size 0 jeans and feel like I'm a busted can of biscuits, although they are not as frequent as before.

Ultimately, I don't know if the fat person mentality every changes, but if anything, it keeps me very motivated to remain below goal. I can look at the number on the scale and know I am not fat, no matter how much the mirror and my mind tell me I am. For some people, the scale is something that upsets them, however for me it is a form of data that I can't argue with. If I'm 237, which is where I started, yes, I need to get my butt on a treadmill and step out of the kitchen, however at 126, if I miss a day running or I eat some cake, I have a bit of inner terror about what the scale will say, but if in the morning it says 127, I know that I am still thin even if the fat girl on the inside is screaming at me for being a pig the day before. The scale keeps me sane, oddly enough.

I totally understand. When I started this journey I had hoped to get down to size 12 (started as a 22) and now 15 months later I am wearing a size 6. I know what a size 6 is and that I am wearing it but I do not at all feel like I am a size 6. I still look around the room and feel like I am the largest person. When I see someone that I think is a nice size I ask my husband how I compare to them. The mental part is just as hard of a battle as the physical. Not sure how to get past it - I guess time and positive self talk - but it's hard to change a life long self image. Until I can see myself as I am, I will depend on the scale and how my clothes fit to know where I am. Congrats on your success!

I think the best thing I did for myself pre op was go to three psychologist apts instead of one, and read books on self esteem. I think talking to a professional would help a lot. Body image and self esteem are so difficult for women and after having been heavy, you'll probably need some adjusting and it's nice to have an unbiased professional guide you in the journey. Anyway, good luck.

I still see myself as fat although I have lost 80lbs and now wear a size 6 shorts. Has anyone else experienced this? I lost the weight quite rapidly, since January 20th 2015. Will my mental image readjust with time? My husband fears that I will loose too much weight.

Totally normal. Still don't see myself as others see me. Airplane seats, narrow parking spaces and other tight spots remind me that I am slim. I hold up my jeans and can't believe I fit in them since they look small. You do get more comfortable with it all in time.

Ps- Yes, clothing sizes are larger than before, i.e. vanity sizing. So in reality my size 4s and 6s are actually 8s and 10s from 20 years ago.

SOMETIMES I FEEL JUST AS FAT AS I EVER WAS, AND THEN OTHER DAYS I FEEL FANTASTIC.

I don't know how old you are but I assume you've been "fat" a lot longer than you've been skinny. So it's a big adjustment mentally. You've had all those years of mentally accommodating your fat. It's gonna take a while to adjust. It can take years. But you just have to take it one day at a time. I'm just over two months post surgery, but I've lost a lot of weight and I still think fat. Little things that I couldn't do before but can do now really surprise me. I have friends that have been sleeved for a few years and they still think fat from time to time. It's a process. But enjoy you're success cause it sounds like you're doing amazing!

One thing that helps the fat brain is to take pictures. I remember when I was 250lbs, I didn't think I was that fat and then I'd see a picture of myself and it would knock the wind out of me. (that's why we hate pictures when we're fat, it's harder to stay in denial) Now when I'm feeling like I look exactly the same as I did at 250lbs, I look at a picture and it tells a whole different story. The camera doesn't lie (unless you have photoshop!).

Your brain will adjust, it'll take some time.

I am going thru a similar thing. I still feel like I'm fat. I'm still not at goal yet, I'm about 10 or 15 lbs away from goal. My husband and my mom call me skinny. Granted i feel much better and i know i have lost 81 lbs but my brain seems to be lagging and hasn't caught up with my body yet. I do have some days where i feel thin, and i think it's just going to take some getting used to, especially since so many of us spent more time as bigger versions of ourselves.