Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushie Stage Woes

My woe??? I am up FOUR pounds!!!!! I've biked 6+ miles 3x per week, did Water jog for 45 minutes 3x per week, and various other light exercise! My calories have been between 900-1200 daily. I just DON'T get it!!!!!! Last Monday, I weighed in at 252 (after weighing in at 243.5 on Saturday)!!! That was up 8.5 pounds!!! So yeah, I dropped 4.5 of that this week and I should be happy I guess. But I REALLY thought that I only gained water weight because of PMS (which my period STILL hasn't started) and I expected to get on the scale today and be down ALL 8.5 pounds PLUS a couple more!!!

I know, I know, "I'm in the healing phase...", "My body needs time to adjust from being on a liquid diet for so long and switching to food..." But DANG....people are asking me ALL THE TIME "How much weight have you lost????" I want to smack them!!!! I really should be thrilled to be down 5.5 pounds since surgery 3 weeks ago....but I WAS down 9.5 pounds 9 days ago!!!

I feel bummed! But...I KNOW it WILL come off...this is NOT a diet...this is a way of life and I am GOING to make this work for me!

Thanks for letting me vent :P

MM... I am so hearing you!!

I have only lost 8lbs since my surgery date... however a week ago I had lost 11lbs... mushies suck!!!

I am at the same stage as you. I may have gained weight on mushies but I don't know as I'm not weighing myself. It would drive me crazy and dictate my mood for the day if I did.

I fully expect that I have gained a little since I was on 650 calories on pre/post-op and now I'm probably nearly double that on mushies.

I think gaining (or at least maintaining) might even be necessary unless you want to stay on 650 and under for the rest of your life. Your body's just saying 'woohoo! nutrients! energy!, I'd better store that for later in case there's another famine'.

Your body will sort itself out. You don't need to strictly diet now. Just focus on getting the correct nutrients.

Thanks KT and Insub :) I can't tell you how good it is not to be alone in this!

Insub, you are absolutely right! My body did and does need to adjust from coming off of so little calories! The scale is finally going in the right direction again...I sure wish I had the strength to just stay off of it! ;)

I don't have the strength either. I gave my scales to my Mum to take away a few days before the op because I know what I'm like. Still, glad to hear that yours are moving in the right direction ;) I'm glad I don't have them because I have only exercised twice in the last three weeks.

Still, I don't want to be one of those 500 cals a day people so my body's going to damn well get used to 1200.

Insub, that was a good idea of giving the scales away, atleast for a little while. My surgeron suggested not to weigh myself everyday. Pick a day during the week and weigh myself on that day. He said I might get disappointed if I am weighing myself every day.

When someone asks you how much you've lost, just say, I'm not sure, but I feel great, thanks for asking!

That should send the right message, that it's none of their business, and make them feel just a bit guilty about asking how much you've lost...WITHOUT being a jerk about it.

I haven't bought a scale that I can weigh on yet (too heavy), that stops me from making myself nuts with scale checking.

I never got weighed pre or post-op at the hospital. I have no idea what I went into OR at, nor what I weighed after all the Fluid.

When someone asks you how much you've lost, just say, I'm not sure, but I feel great, thanks for asking!

That should send the right message, that it's none of their business, and make them feel just a bit guilty about asking how much you've lost...WITHOUT being a jerk about it.

Tavelgirl,

That is a great response!

Momma,

Don't be discouraged, I think that you are doing GREAT! I don't have numbers like that.

Nina

My woe??? I am up FOUR pounds!!!!! I've biked 6+ miles 3x per week, did Water jog for 45 minutes 3x per week, and various other light exercise! My calories have been between 900-1200 daily. I just DON'T get it!!!!!! Last Monday, I weighed in at 252 (after weighing in at 243.5 on Saturday)!!! That was up 8.5 pounds!!! So yeah, I dropped 4.5 of that this week and I should be happy I guess. But I REALLY thought that I only gained Water weight because of PMS (which my period STILL hasn't started) and I expected to get on the scale today and be down ALL 8.5 pounds PLUS a couple more!!!

I know, I know, "I'm in the healing phase...", "My body needs time to adjust from being on a liquid diet for so long and switching to food..." But DANG....people are asking me ALL THE TIME "How much weight have you lost????" I want to smack them!!!! I really should be thrilled to be down 5.5 pounds since surgery 3 weeks ago....but I WAS down 9.5 pounds 9 days ago!!!

I feel bummed! But...I KNOW it WILL come off...this is NOT a diet...this is a way of life and I am GOING to make this work for me!

Thanks for letting me vent ;)

MM.

Do you think that some of that could be muscle mass from working out so much? Muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe that's what's slowing you down, making you gain??? Just a thought.:cry:cry:cry

Jackie

Hi there Jackie...I think I have gained some muscle mass, but I also realize that my body has to adjust from that liquid phase I was on for so long. Now I'm on to the soft food phase...the weight is coming back off SLOWLY!! I'm only up 3 pounds now, but dang I feel SO GOOD physically and the scale is moving downward again so I'm OK with that for now.

I keep reading on here how weighloss is can be particularly slow, or even non-existent, until we reach the correct amount of fill. So, I've resolved to be happy if I only lose a pound per week and be patient regarding getting proper restriction. If I didn't have this band, I KNOW I'd be gaining weight, so every ounce off is more health gained ;)

Thanks for your encouragement :D

Musical Momma - I hear ya! I gained two and 1/2 pounds in one day. The only thing I did was eat 1/2 baked potato and small cup of lemonade! Go figure. I think I will have my DH hide the scales, then weigh myself only once a week.

Musicalmomma,

There must be something about the switch from liquids to mushies/soft that does this to us. My pre-op started on May 25, surgery was June 11 and since pre-op I've lost 32.5 lbs but I had lost that a week ago. But then I started the mushies and have gained 2.5 back. No one said anything about this happening. I'm not sure if I'm follwing the diet correctly though. I've ate (and tolerated) things I probably shouldn't have. I need to call my dietician.

All in all though, I'm happy with my results...I just need to make sure I'm following the diet correctly and stay focused.

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing.

:confused: