Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to Learn When I'm full

When do you know you're full?

My stomach still makes a lot of noise while I eat, but the full feeling is so much different now and comes in with nausea! If I stop when the rumbling and shifting starts I would eat 3-4 bites a meal and that's not enough! I don't overeat everyday bc my meals are planned and pre-portioned. But given a choice to stop on my own I still do not know when to!

This surgery def gets me fuller quicker and I'm eating less, but it changes the way "full" feels.... and I'm trying to learn to stop on my own.

Afterwards, when I don't feel too great, I ask myself was it really worth it. Whats a good meal if you feel nauseous after?

Any tips for stopping short when meals are not pre-portioned?

How do you know when you've had enough AND before you feel bad?

Eat to Live. Be Well.

When do you know you're full?

My stomach still makes a lot of noise while I eat, but the full feeling is so much different now and comes in with nausea! If I stop when the rumbling and shifting starts I would eat 3-4 bites a meal and that's not enough! I don't overeat everyday bc my meals are planned and pre-portioned. But given a choice to stop on my own I still do not know when to!

This surgery def gets me fuller quicker and I'm eating less, but it changes the way "full" feels.... and I'm trying to learn to stop on my own.

Afterwards, when I don't feel too great, I ask myself was it really worth it. Whats a good meal if you feel nauseous after?

Any tips for stopping short when meals are not pre-portioned?

How do you know when you've had enough AND before you feel bad?

Eat to Live. Be Well.

I'm definitely trying to figure it out myself. I'm definitely gonna follow this thread to hear advice.

@@Charity P

When did you have your surgery?

What stage of eating are you on?

I am sixty - some days out.

That is an excellent question. I feel full after maybe 4-5 small bites. And I stop. I feel something in my throat and my stomach feels weird. Then I wait for a while and maybe take a couple more bites. And wait at least an hr to drink something other wise I might lose it. I am 4 weeks out on the 16th of May.

Maybe you should get a recommendation from your nutritionist of the amount of food and textures you should be eating at this point. I know that I can eat 4 ounces of baked tilapia, but only 3 ounces of baked chicken breast. I can eat 2 fried eggs over easy, but only one scrambled egg. It all depends on texture. You can learn by being consistent with a few meals and proportions. I don't eat until I feel full. I eat what I know I can hold comfortably. It will get easier and soon you won't even have to think about it.

Well, just eat slow, really slow, and chew until the food has no more flavor (I know :huh: ) and then swallow. I was told to only eat for 20 minutes. Whatever isn't eaten in 20 minutes, you don't eat. That way you aren't grazing and you have time to get in your Water. Also, my Water regime is 10 minutes before a meal and 40 minutes after a meal.

@Tammy

You bring up a really good point TEXTURE. Tonight I had some bites of wheat flour (form of crust) for the first time. It was HEAVY.

Tonight, we got tired of the chicken, shrimp, fish, quinoa, and veggies we've been eating for 2 months. Otherwise, my breakfasts, Snacks, and lunches are light.

I was focused on amount... it was after, when it laid so heavy that I considered how dense the food was I had eaten.

I was wondering if anyone had a phrase, a motto, something motivational to help them through the "I want to finish that" drive!

I'm also tired of all my food getting cold after a few bites.

As I've healed, I'm noticing I'm inching towards eating faster again!!-- mainly bc I'm tired of my food getting cold bc I'm so slow!

I don't mean to complain. This surgery was the best thing I've done for myself. This has got to work. I've got to make this work.

I know I'm not supposed to, but I drink whenever I'm thirsty. I don't time my Water intake around my meals. I don't take drinks while I eat, but I will take maybe one sip to rinse my mouth or help something down.

Im 4 weeks out and having the same problem, couple of mouthfuls then withour warning nausea and then vomiting most of it back up. Is especially problematic when I try introducing something new. My dietician talked about feeling an air bubble at the top of you stomach, but I still haven't mastered it!

@@Tammy

You bring up a really good point TEXTURE. Tonight I had some bites of wheat flour (form of crust) for the first time. It was HEAVY.

Tonight, we got tired of the chicken, shrimp, fish, quinoa, and veggies we've been eating for 2 months. Otherwise, my breakfasts, Snacks, and lunches are light.

I was focused on amount... it was after, when it laid so heavy that I considered how dense the food was I had eaten.

I was wondering if anyone had a phrase, a motto, something motivational to help them through the "I want to finish that" drive!

I'm also tired of all my food getting cold after a few bites.

As I've healed, I'm noticing I'm inching towards eating faster again!!-- mainly bc I'm tired of my food getting cold bc I'm so slow!

I don't mean to complain. This surgery was the best thing I've done for myself. This has got to work. I've got to make this work.

I've always been a fast eater cause I don't like my food getting cold either. I now eat my scrambled eggs, etc right out of the pan. Not so pretty but food stays hot longer.

Ok I had forgotten about this problem (I'm a few years out now) with the food getting cold. 2suggestions 1. Whenever possible eat out of a small bowl to help the food stay warmer or 2. Get an electric cup warmer and set your bowl/little plate on it. Worked like a charm.