Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost 1 month to my surgery date, less than two weeks away from my pre-op class, 7 lbs away from the weight I have to be for pre-op, and I am in distress! There is so much pulling on me that I am completely overwhelmed! As a self-confessed emotional eater, the first thought is to comfort myself with food. However, that can no longer be an option. I am hard on myself a lot. I know I need to relax, but I'm heading towards a life-changing moment here and life doesn't care. I have to pay almost half out-of-pocket for this surgery because of a pitiful insurance. I don't want to put my family in financial strain because of my choice. I feel bad. I feel guilty. I feel scared.

I'm sure this is a normal moment during this process, but this is hard for me. I feel like no one around me understands how much this all is affecting me. To make matters worse, I got a random email about how there is a debate amongst low-carbers about WLS, saying it's the easy way out. People don't have to diet or anything. Just ignorant. No one is going to make the choice to go under the knife if this wasn't the last resort. The nerve! Ugh! I know I'm all over the place, but I just needed to vent. I sure could use some encouragement right now. I have to make it to June 10. I just have to!

It's completely normal to have all these emotions kicking you in the butt at the same time. Keep in mind that NO it is not the easy way out. It is hard and it is a last resort. Those who do not know a lifetime of struggle cannot fathom what one goes through, but you know. Be comfortable with yourself and your decision. Know that this is a life altering and life saving choice. You will come out the other side healthy and brand new and not without work but it will be worth it, your life is worth it. To all the naysayers, you know what they say about opinions. Additionally that and $2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Be strong, be blessed and push forth. You will be alright

The only warning I would give is check your surgeon out!! And run if you see negatives. I was at 100% insurance paid when I had mine in Dec 14, so I had no out of pocket but the jerk who did mine messed up my left lung (so rare it shows how callous and careless he was/is) and wouldn't treat my acid reflux which caused me to seek help else where. Where I'm going with this is; I have a whole new set of medical bills this year from his meanness (or whatever). I feel so guilty sometimes having to tell my kids we can't afford something due to these bills. BUT I remember why I did it. I am coming out on the back side of the bad stuff he caused by not caring and I AM feeing better. My back pain has decreased tremendously as was predicted to happen and my apnea is almost gone. Most nights I sleep like a rock. It wil be worth it just make sure that you have a GOOD caring surgeon. Read reviews!!! Run if you see mistakes on his complaints. I have medical records showing where other doctors say in reports that he caused my issues. IF I had been to a truly good surgeon I would have no complaints! And the money would be worth it.

It's completely normal to have all these emotions kicking you in the butt at the same time. Keep in mind that NO it is not the easy way out. It is hard and it is a last resort. Those who do not know a lifetime of struggle cannot fathom what one goes through, but you know. Be comfortable with yourself and your decision. Know that this is a life altering and life saving choice. You will come out the other side healthy and brand new and not without work but it will be worth it, your life is worth it. To all the naysayers, you know what they say about opinions. Additionally that and $2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee. Be strong, be blessed and push forth. You will be alright

Living55,

Wow. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I think getting it out helped tremendously. I tend to keep things bottled inside, and that is what has me in this position right now. God has brought me too far to turn around now. I can do this!

The only warning I would give is check your surgeon out!! And run if you see negatives. I was at 100% insurance paid when I had mine in Dec 14, so I had no out of pocket but the jerk who did mine messed up my left lung (so rare it shows how callous and careless he was/is) and wouldn't treat my acid reflux which caused me to seek help else where. Where I'm going with this is; I have a whole new set of medical bills this year from his meanness (or whatever). I feel so guilty sometimes having to tell my kids we can't afford something due to these bills. BUT I remember why I did it. I am coming out on the back side of the bad stuff he caused by not caring and I AM feeing better. My back pain has decreased tremendously as was predicted to happen and my apnea is almost gone. Most nights I sleep like a rock. It wil be worth it just make sure that you have a GOOD caring surgeon. Read reviews!!! Run if you see mistakes on his complaints. I have medical records showing where other doctors say in reports that he caused my issues. IF I had been to a truly good surgeon I would have no complaints! And the money would be worth it.

Gladys62,

I am blessed to have very esteemed and reputable surgeon. Trust me, I did all sorts of research on this guy. He is accredited and has a wonderful success rate. I thank you for sharing your experience with me. It's good to see that you have not let the complications and bills keep you from seeing the positives. Again, I thank you. :)

This is your health. That is invaluable. It is worth it and more importantly, YOU are worth it. Try and take a deep breath and relax. Go for a long walk if it will stop you from emotional eating.

Getting sleeved has absolutely without a doubt been the best thing I ever did for myself.

This is your health. That is invaluable. It is worth it and more importantly, YOU are worth it. Try and take a deep breath and relax. Go for a long walk if it will stop you from emotional eating.

Getting sleeved has absolutely without a doubt been the best thing I ever did for myself.

BlerdGirl,

You are absolutely right. What gets me back on track mentally is my 15-month old girl who loves her mama and deserves to have a mother in good health. I don't want to put her on an amusement park ride with someone else because I can't fit. I don't want to watch her run around and play. I want to play with her. She deserves that life and so do I.

Exercising is something that I always put on the back burner, but I know it's what I need to do for stress management. As you can probably gather, putting myself first is not something that has ever been easy for me to do.

Thank you. :)

You know what they tell you on the airplane, "Put your mask on first..." The reasoning being is because if you pass out you can't help those loved ones around you. This surgery is your mask. If you are fit, you can't be the best wife and mother you can be.

Living55,

Wow. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I think getting it out helped tremendously. I tend to keep things bottled inside, and that is what has me in this position right now. God has brought me too far to turn around now. I can do this!

Amen! You are on the right track already. I know exactly what you mean about having things bottled up, its why I joined here. I am thankful my words were of some assistance to you. If possible keep me posted on your progress, I know they will be amazing!

Living55,

Amen! You are on the right track already. I know exactly what you mean about having things bottled up, its why I joined here. I am thankful my words were of some assistance to you. If possible keep me posted on your progress, I know they will be amazing!

This group has been a godsend. It gives you the reassurance that you are never in this alone and that we are all different. I am a person of great faith, yet I know that I have to do my part and attack these demons head on. I won't heal if I don't address them. I'll find myself in the same place next year and even more miserable. I refuse. Living55, I definitely plan to share my journey. I feel that it is my obligation to pay it forward. Those, like yourself, who are courageous enough to share their experience with strangers has helped me more than they'll ever know. I think I want to begin a video log, too. :)