Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I saw my new PCP, she said my Blood Oxygen Level was not what it should be. Can anyone explain to me about this? I think she said it was too low.

Thanks,

Louise

Did she say this while she was reading labs or after she put the little clip thing on your finger?

If it was the latter of the two, she likely meant your O2 Saturation level, which is the level they determine by putting that little clip thing on your finger. It measures the hemoglobin in your blood which helps determine how saturated your blood is with oxygen. Ideally you want a reading around 98-99. If she just said your reading was low and didn't freak out about it, you were probably above 95. If you had to walk a ways to get to the office visit, if you were out of breath, if you have low Iron, if you were wearing nail polish...all of these things can throw off the reading.

Next time she says something you don't understand- ask her. It's her job to speak in a language you understand so you don't have to be worried about your health. In this situation though, you don't need to worry- if it was really that low she wouldn't have let you go home.

It was the little thing on my finger. She did say it wasn't too bad.

Every day that passes I learn something new weight related and more than a little scarey. May 22 can't come soon enough for me so I can meet with the surgeon and get this show on the road.

Everytime I have ever had major surgery, especially if under the knife for several hours, it results in my O2 levels being low for a time. I bought one of the oximeters which were rated high for 25 bucks on Amazon. I pound the spirometer every half hour to build my lungs. After surgery, I was down to 80, but am now (2 1/2 weeks out) back up to 94 average. I use oxygen at night for the first month home, and then I send it back when I am back to over 95 consistently.

@@LousPeachy - That's called a pulse oximeter (pulseox for short) and @@AvaFern is right. I second what she said about making doctors explain anything you don't understand. They should have retook it before you left. If it was just from walking to the office, it would go back to normal once you had a minute or 2 to sit.

Being heavy can also cause a low sat. level. practice breathing deeply. Inflating your lungs. it will help you for post op.