Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leg cramps - super painful!!

Hi,

I am wondering, since being banded have any of you developed really bad leg cramps? You know, the wake you up out of sleep, can't kick off the covers, muscles totally locked up so you can't even walk on it kind of cramps? I just started having these, and man do they HURT!! My calf is sore for a few days after, it feels like I got mule-kicked or something!

I am starting to wonder if I'm lacking something in my diet to cause this? If it keeps up I'll call my doctor and ask about it, but thought I'd throw it out here first and see if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies! :)

i Have Not Had Surgery Yet, But I Have Gotten Those Cramps Many Times, And They Hurt. I Was Told That The Body Is Lacking Potassium Which Can Be Found In Bananas. I Hope This Helps.

This happens to me when I'm dehydrated. How much Water are you drinking? Potassium helps, but the very first thing I'd do is make sure I'm getting enough water.

This happens to me when I'm dehydrated. How much Water are you drinking? Potassium helps, but the very first thing I'd do is make sure I'm getting enough Water.< /div>

I was going to say the same thing, it is a sign of dehydration. Start drinking more water!

I tend to get leg cramps if I didn't drink enough water...dehydration seems to be the culprit for me!

Sweety, travelgirl, Iluvharleys and adorable,

Thank you so much for your replies! I'll add some potassium and try to drink more and see if that helps.

I didn't know that the severe leg cramps were a dehydration symptom and that could easily be the case as I struggle, A LOT to get my Fluid in. I haven't been getting even the 48 oz a day we're supposed to! I guess I need to start sucking down some more Water and Crystal Light!!

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate your help! ;)

Take care!

I have just started to get them, they wake me up before they totally cramp so I am stretching in the middle of the night! (not as painful as you have had)

I do not drink enough Water.......but I will now! This site is so great, I would be in the dark about so much without all of the support!

The leg cramps can also come from low Calcium so also take a look at that, especially if you're exercising. I use to get them at night & would jump up like a crazy woman in pain but I then started taking calcuim tablets & after a week I was fine.

What your body probably needs is Water soluble magnesium. I used to have horrible leg cramps and my chiropractor gave me a bottle of the water soluble magnesium for spasms in my lower back and it almost immediately stopped leg cramps, spasms, and even menstrual cramps. Please, please give it a shot because I've convinced dozens of my friends to take it daily and they thank me for it constantly! Good luck!

Ooo ooo.. I actually have a good answer!!

I had these a lot as a kid.. the charlie horses in my calves, and it would leave it bruised for days. I woke up in the middle of the night screaming.. My mom was a nurse when I was a kid and she taught me a trick that has worked 100% everytime!

First, when it happens, pull your foot straight up (toes towards knees). It feels like it's about to get worse, then it instantly stops. To avoid them, eat a banana. Low potassium causes it.. and 1 banana a day will keep you from getting them.

I commented to someone else last week that my mother read in Dear Abby that putting a couple bars of soap under her fitted sheet in bed helps with leg cramps also. My mother has been doing this now for years and swears by it. I don't know what it is about the soap but MOM is a believer.

I definitely agree....water....calcium, potasium and magnesium. You might want to get on a really great calcium/mineral supplement. The one I use, and it's the only one I've ever found like it is from AdvoCare. I can't remember what it's specifically called off the top of my head, but it totally keeps leg cramps away. I've also had good luck managing blood sugar and blood pressure with them.

I know this sounds silly, but trust me it works though I don't know why. Put a bar of hotel soap between your sheet and mattress. It MUST be hotel soap, any kind will do. Put it around the area where your calves normally area. My dad tried this but he put it on his bedside table and it didn't work - LOL. I am pretty sure I read this in Ann Landers or Dear Abby several years ago, I tried it, I used to have the kind of cramps that wake you up screaming, but no more. Actually I wrote to Dear Abby and asked for a reprint of the article and they said it was not them. But anyway, try it. Good luck.

Hi,

I am wondering, since being banded have any of you developed really bad leg cramps? You know, the wake you up out of sleep, can't kick off the covers, muscles totally locked up so you can't even walk on it kind of cramps? I just started having these, and man do they HURT!! My calf is sore for a few days after, it feels like I got mule-kicked or something!

I am starting to wonder if I'm lacking something in my diet to cause this? If it keeps up I'll call my doctor and ask about it, but thought I'd throw it out here first and see if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies! :mad:

Hi Stacey

I use to suffer from leg cramps and since I started taking Calcium and magnesium Vitamins they have gone away.

Cheers

Mambo

Yes, have had those leg cramps and they are nasty! My mom also gets them and swears by calcium!