Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can i be eating too few calories?

im a month out of my VSG

ive been dealing with a little Heart burn & i haven't been getting that many calories in my diet.mostly a premier Protein in the morning, a greek yogurt in the middle of the day & Water.

im defiantly not getting enough water... and my Protein intake generally ave around 42 grams.

i feel fine but im worried their may be a prob such a low cal intake.

The intent is to put you on low calories/high Protein. That's why most of us take supplements & Vitamins. I'm 7 months out and still average about 850 calories a days. However your Water is also important. It may take a while to work up to 64 ounces of fluids, but you really should try.

I would worry more about meeting your Protein and Water goals than calories. If you don't get enough protein and water you will risk healing and may not lose weight as optimally as you would with enough protein.

I've found that getting too many calories doesn't matter much, as long as you're getting enough Protein and fluids and avoiding starches/sugars. But you're concerned about the other end of the equation. If you're logging your food on MyFitnessPal or another app, you should find that if you're get 60-80 grams of Protein, you will be in the 600-800 calory range. Work on that protein! Good luck!

Hello

3days post op and I'm getting about 24 oz of Water and 30 grams of Protein. And that's only 300 calories!

Should I be concerned?

What is your Protein goal? Mine is 100 G protein and 64 oz. Water.

Fortunately, I was able to meet my protein goal every day since the second day home from the hospital. It's not easy, but I treat it like my job.

Most people say do the best you can early out. Barring any major problems, I would recommend making a concerted effort to get it all in. You will feel better, heal better, and optimize your weight loss (according to my surgeon).

I have never counted calories and wouldn't worry about that part but like most others have responded you really need more Protein otherwise you will lose muscle mass and that is definitely not what you want.

I know it's hard in the begging but eating just twice a day isn't enough. See if you could get another Protein shake in and then in the future try to add in regular food sources of Protein. Even if your not hungry. Eating is fuel for you body now.

And remember no one is perfect all the time. This is a journey. Try your best

~LA

@@Mremilio - Don''t worry about the calories. You want to stay hydrated and hit that Protein goal as soon as possible. Some people hit theirs fairly quickly, some people have to work up to it. It took me a week to work up to 60 gms of protein. I now avg between 70 - 85 daily.