Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did anyone start to eat out? I really am not in the mood to anytime soon but I was just curious. Also, what did you eat when you went out?

I had to go to a work dinner, which was actually for me so I couldn't skip it, at 4 weeks post-op. I was cleared for soft food then and I politely had a a few bites over the course of the evening, took a sip of champagne and brought a doggy bag home, which I didn't end up eating. So, technically, if you're careful and eat slowly you can test the waters fairly soon after surgery.

That being said, if you don't have a real desire to eat out and there is no special occasion, eat in. It's healthier and you are closer to the bathroom in the event some form of food doesn't agree with your stomach. I am 1 year and 7 months out and I am still extremely careful eating out because my stomach likes to barf a lot.

Fish. It's hard to screw up fish. And just about everywhere has it now. And my tummy LOVES fish! Easy to digest, lots of options. I never have room for the sides. Kids' meals are a great option. And you can always ask (if you are not a senior) for a senior portion. Most don't argue about it, especially if you tell them you had surgery recently. Why would they care, anyway? Stupid to me! Stay away from the bread that comes first, so easy to fall into that trap. Same with chips and salsa. Plan to get many meals out of your course, something that reheats easily, and focus on Protein. Sides. I HATE THEM! Because I can't enjoy them like I used to. So I hate them instead of ME! I give them all to my husband, who eats them, then saves his protein for me for tomorrow!!!!! LOVE HIM!!!!

Fish, chili, or grilled chicken are my go to. I always try to review the menu before I go, so I have a plan ahead of time.

My surgeon gave me a business card from the bariatric center. It says: "This person has had surgery and is required by doctor's orders to the quantity and types of food consumed. Please allow her/him to order a smaller portion or make a selection from your childrens' menu."

The day that I was released to attempt regular cooked foods (4 1/2 weeks), I stopped at Wendy's on the way home and bought some chili with cheese. It took me four days to eat it, but it was the first real food I had chewed since two weeks pre-op.

Around two months post-op, my sister was in the hospital out of town. I stopped at a Baker's Square with my traveling friend, and I had chili again. I am 15 months out now, and have had Chinese stir-fry once, and pizza once, but scraped the goodies off the crust. I had one slice instead of the 1/2 pizza I would have eaten before my surgery.

Most full-service restaurants and buffets will have meats and veggies. Just ignore the table bread and dessert.

I can spell, but I cannot type. That statement on my card should read.......to restrict the quantity.

I went out the second week with my Husband, for Chinese food. I had egg drop Soup of course! We have been out at least once a week since then. When we ate Mexican food I had a piece of his chicken fajitas, a spoon of refried Beans, and a spoon of Guacamole. When we went to a Japenese steak house I ordered the Scallop appetizer. Usually I pilfer off of his plate, sometimes they have an appetizer that seems Sleeve friendly. It is really easy right now (6 weeks out) because about 2 to 2.5oz is all I can eat at a time.

I am almost 3 weeks out and we had a Happy Hour after work to send off a coworker who is moving last week. It was my first week back so I was pretty tired. I reviewed the menu online before I went. I ended up not staying long enough to eat while I was there (had been sipping Water because we sat outside) but I ordered the grilled fish sandwich with broccoli on the side to go. Ate fish and a little broccoli 3x before I decided it had been hanging around long enough and tossed it. Didn't eat the bread, they just didn't have a fish dinner.< /p>

Edited by missheidi47