Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious to hear people's stories of gastric bypass....

Hello. My name is Rebecca and I am 35 years old. I am currently going through the process of eventually having gastric bypass. I am curious to hear other people's stories. Doesn't matter if they are good or bad. I'm also curious if people freaked out a bit before the surgery meaning yes I'm going to have it, no I'm not. Thanks!!!????

Hi Rebecca, my name is Lisa. I have made the decision to have Gastric Bypass Surgery based on my medical Condition(s). High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Diabetes. I have started the process by meeting with the Bariatric team last week. When I first made the decision to have bariatric surgery, I only wanted Lap Band. Then I decided on the Gastric Sleeve. However, Gastric Bypass was my surgeons recommendation based on the medical issues and at that meeting at that moment... for me. That was my "Yes I am having surgery and No I am not". I totally FREAKED OUT! I told my surgeon that I would think about it and let him know. I high tailed it out of there... BUT after I researched, I agreed with him, contacted his office the next day. Today, I received the email with the list of pre-surgical requirements. I will need to complete a sleep study and it is scheduled for Monday, April 27th. If it turns out I have sleep apnea, I will be prescribed a CPAP machine and keep a log for 30 days and then be ready for surgery. If I don't have sleep apnea all I will need is a PREP session then be ready for surgery. I am excited about my decision and I know it is best for me. I know I will "freak out" again and again througout this process and it is only natural but I will get back up, dust myself off and keep forward on my journey. I am sure you will find what is right for you and your life. This site has been great help to me so far!!!

Best of LUCK and safe Journey!!

hello...

I been heavy all my life. went through school being teased a lot. Ive always been active. I have back , hip, neck , shoulder and emotional pain: doctor said pain will go away if I loose weight. I just kept getting bigger and bigger...One day in 2013 a lightbulb must has went off. I looked at myself and said "Oh my god" when did this happen? Talked to my doctor about surgeries since all attempts to loose weight failed. Next thing I knew I had gotten a gastric bypass on June 17th 2013. Aside from marrying my husband, the bypass surgery is the best thing I ever did. I love clothes. All the pain is still here though. I went from 297 ibs. to 160 lbs. size 24 pants to size 13 pants. Yahooooo.. :)

Thank you both. I have similar problems like both of your stories. Hyperlipidemia and back hip and knee pain. I know it's the right decision. I'm going to have bypass, but it's such a scary thing. You're whole life is about to change for the better but you know how people hate change lol. Although I think I'll be very happy with this change once it's done.

Hi @RebeccaAR. I'm scheduled to have gastric bypass on May 7th, two weeks from tomorrow, yikes! I go from being super excited, to nervous, to scared, to unsure, and everything in between. Like you, I originally wanted the Lap Band, then the gastric sleeve, and finally decided on the bypass due to my surgeon's recommendation. I have diabetes and sleep apnea. My main reason for having the surgery is to hopefully reverse my diabetes and prevent further complications.

I left my initial appointment with my surgeon in tears. It was such a mix of emotions! I was sad that I had finally "succumbed" to weight loss surgery. I felt like a failure for not being able to reach my weight goal on my by myself after having lost 100 lbs on my own (with diet and exercise). On the other hand, I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and it's so exciting!

Fortunately the process has been quick so far. My initial appointment was on Feb 20th. I got all but one of my pre-op requirements done by the end of the next week. The first challenge was my surgeon's strict liver-shrinking diet, which I have been on since Feb 21st. Today is my last day of the liver-shrinking food diet, tomorrow I start the liquid diet. The next 3-4 weeks are probably going to be the most challenging of my life, so now I'm back to being scared! Ugh!

Edited by laurenjane

I am 4 months post op & have lost 100 lbs. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. The liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery was hard. But I did it. You will give up fried foods & sugar. You will only be able to eat a few bites of food at first. You will be able to eat more later but not much. Do what they tell you to do & you'll be successful. It's a lifestyle change but I have no regrets. I like the new me. I've got another 100lbs to lose

I am 3 weeks postop. I was a nervous wreck the day of surgery. I was lucky enough to be the first case of the day. I didn't have much wait time.

I knew it would be hard. It is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. Probably the hardest thing I have ever done. That being said it was the best decision for me. I stated out at 323. I'm down to 290 already.

It is a learning curve. It gets better every day. Just remember to take small sips of Water all day. Try to get your Protein in. I'm still struggling with protein. Good luck!

Had surgery on Tuesday. I was nervous but everything went fine. The worst part was the gas. I was never so happy to fart in my life. TMI I know. :-) that was the only time I hit the pain pump was with the gas pains. Finally the next day I walked the halls about 5 times vs the two after surgery and got that stuff to moving out. Went home around 5 that day & slept all night. Felt 100% better when I woke up. Today was my full liquid day which includes cream Soup, tasted so good. However I'm so scared to overeat right now. All in all I've had a good recovery so far.

My surgery was 4-14. Down 20# already. I feel ok other than a sharp pain in the left side. Apparently that's where they sutured into the fascia. Normal pain. The surgery was great. The hospital stay was two days and wonderful. Happy to be home of course. I've been getting one liquids and Proteins with no problem. I don't feel hungry at all and have to remind myself to eat/drink. I also don't feet full. I goes o don't know what it's supposed to feel like with the new stomach. I was also a revision from Band to bypass and I'm so used to Knowing what a full band stomach felt like.

Good luck to you!

@MichelleTN.. awesome and GREAT news. Keep up the good work and can't wait to read your updates!

Hello.. i am 27 ..had the bypass on april 8th ..i was nervous when i was waiting to go to the operation room ..but it was peaceful .. i am 3 wks post op ..started at 402 ..im at 380 .. very excited to continue my journey ..my head hunger is a bitch but it makes me that much stronger .. make sure u follow the rules and u will be fine ..good luck

I'm 28. I had gastric bypass on 4/6 and so far I'm doing great. Im down 18 lbs since surgery (47 lbs overall). I haven't had any bad reactions to any foods I've tried but my eating is pretty limited to a list of acceptable folds my doctor gave me.

I am having a difficult time getting my liquids in everyday and some days I am beyond tired and feel like I'm struggling to get things done. My doctor said the fatigue periods should end after 6-8 weeks post op. Right now I'm just doing the best I can and going through the motions of healing and relearning how to eat and drink again. Everything's so different but so far, not at all in a bad way.