Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here. I've researched the surgery for a while, but I've finally reached the point that I'm ready to go through with it. I go to a seminar with Dr. Averbach and Dr. Singh at St. Agnes Hospital on Wednesday, but I'm more interested in Dr. Schweitzer at Hopkins.

I'm 27, live in Baltimore, and have been married for almost 2 years. No kids yet, which is actually my biggest motivator for doing the surgery. I'm really excited and hope to meet some local people who are going through the same things I'll be going through. Hope to talk to you all soon! ;)

Welcome Brandlet32,

Good luck to you on your band journey. Although I am not a Baltimorian, there are many other Marylanders that have used the doctors you have mentioned.

I'm new here. I've researched the surgery for a while, but I've finally reached the point that I'm ready to go through with it. I go to a seminar with Dr. Averbach and Dr. Singh at St. Agnes Hospital on Wednesday, but I'm more interested in Dr. Schweitzer at Hopkins.

I'm 27, live in Baltimore, and have been married for almost 2 years. No kids yet, which is actually my biggest motivator for doing the surgery. I'm really excited and hope to meet some local people who are going through the same things I'll be going through. Hope to talk to you all soon! :)

Hi Brandlet. Welcome to the Marylanders group. I used to work at St. Agnes. That was my first "real job" after college. Glad you found us here. LBT is an awesome site. I have learned so much. Read all you can. You will become soooooo informed and knowledgeable!

Hi - Good Luck! I had my surgery on April 20th with Singh at St Ag. A few years ago I had a consult with mr "smallscar.com" but at that time it was a no go on my insurance. No reason why I did not go to Schweitzer this time, just that St Ag a bit more convenient. Schweitzer sure is a cutie! I have been happy overall w/ St Ag, the hospital was much like any other, surgery staff great, floor nurses Ugh! I have lost 20 lbs since surgery but I was a lower BMI to start.

When I was 30 I lost a lot of weight and immediately got pregnant, my son is now 17. You are right about the motivator I knew I could not have a child if I was overweight.

You are doing the right thing researching it. See what you think of each practice especially the staff and how much time the docs take with you on a consult. Keep in touch. I work in Baltimore and live in AA County.

I had my surgery last June and I am down 60#. Could be more if I stuck to all the rules. I do eat a lot less and am happy with my loss. I did try to get an appt Dr. Schweitzer at Hopkins but he is so busy. I waited 2 months for my appt and the week of my appt they called and cancelled. So I went to a seminar with Dr. Singh at St. Agnes Hospital. He is a funny man that will tell you the truth. I have no regets. It really does not matter which of the 3 does your surgery. They are all good. Just do it.

I had Dr. Averbach do my surgery 18 months ago at St. Agnes and I am down 150 lbs and in a size 16 (I am 6 feet tall), where before I was a 28/30. Dr. Averbach is a great surgeon, a bit more reserved than Dr. Singh. But I like that he's a straight shooter. Heard good things about Hopkins, but that the waiting list is pretty long.

I follow the rules about 80-90 percent of the time and I have had success. It is the best thing I've done for myself and I believe that this surgery saved my life. You have to follow the rules, exercise, and get to a good fill level, which in my case happened on the 4th fill. You have to be an advocate for proper fills and adjustments for the band, because unless a doctor or someone on staff has had a band themselves they might not get it.

Welcome Brandlet32,

Good luck to you on your band journey. Although I am not a Baltimorian, there are many other Marylanders that have used the doctors you have mentioned.

Hi tanya

Dr. Brody is my surgery doctor as well, the staff there is very nice, so how have you been since your surgery. I must tell you I am having a very tough time with the two week pre-opt diet any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I'm very happy about having this surgery.

weight.png

Thanks

Sonya

Hi Sonya. My surgeon was Dr. Brody too. I just love his practice and GW Hospital. The pre-op and post-op diets are hell, but if you can get through it, you will do very well with the band. The only problem that I have run into is after my first fill. I had a fill on June 26 and since then I have been able to eat more than I could before I got a fill. I'm thinking of calling the office to discuss it because I can't get another fill until 8 weeks after that. I'm fearful that I will gain some of the weight back. I was banded on 4/30/07 and so far have lost a total of 43 pounds (was 45 but I have gained 2 back). I don't want the scales to go up...just want them to keep going down.

Anyway...good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Tanya: Hi there...how are you doing these days?

Tina

Sonya

Staff at Dr. Brody's is just fine. The nice thing about it is they get you in and out, no sitting around. I didnt have to do a pre-op diet. But I think Tina can give you some tips on that.

Tina,

I have been doing fine. thanks for asking, how is everything going for you? I am still losing slowly. I have been swimming and riding my bike. I have been off work since June 29 and tomorrow I go back to work. Boohoo:think. At any rate, keep up the work and have you had a fill yet???

Hey Gang!

Hi Tanya! Thanks so much for the well wishes.......... Glad that you are back online.

I am happy to report to you all that I am doing much better. No more gas or Constipation. Thanks to Maaloxx and good old Castor Oil!

My only problem now that I AM HUNGRY for the first time in a week.

I just had some watered down cream of mushroom Soup.........I know I know. I am a week early but I can't take another cup of broth or another Slimfast.

It seemed to went down well but my check feels a little funny. I guess that's a sign that that is my limit.

Yall pray for me!

Take care and stay online,

Chanda

Hi please read Maryland get together thread for possible date for a meet up at my home.

Kathy

Hi! I'm the database coordinator and webmaster for the Johns Hopkins bariatric program (The Johns Hopkins Center for Bariatric Surgery). We've got a form on the website where you can request a consultation, or you can call the office at 410-550-0409 and ask for Alice, Dr. Schweitzer's secretary.

If you have any other questions, our program manager is Christine Walsh and her phone number is 410-550-4471. Christine is a nurse and along with our surgeons, dietitians, and nurse practitioner she hosts support groups and information sessions at the hospital. The dates for those (free) groups and info sessions are on the website.

I'm also 27 and have been married for 2 years. We are thinking about having kids, too. Good luck and best wishes!!