Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone that has gone through with the sleeve surgery had problems with anxiety before hand? I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety issues and I am starting to worry about my surgery coming up in May. Will something be given to me in my iv before I am wheeled into the operating room? I don't want to have a full fledged anxiety attack right before hand :/.

They will give you something, just rest well and take in the experience.I went for a walk and a potty break 1 hr after I got in my room. and, when they tell you walking is good for the gas, that is so true,I walked and walked and it helped so much, every time I was uncomfortable we went for a walk in the halls, the nurse kept looking for me but knew he could find me out and about, stay strong and let it happen. The more you move the better you will feel post op, I never used the hard drugs for pain after that first day, the most pain I had was from the gas but the cuts never hurt me. The hard part is anxiety is always about what could happen so all you have to do is think happy thoughts and take you meds if you need to. I had weird dreams after the surgery too so be prepared and just let go and let God. btw don't be surprised

when you look down at your belly and its like a balloon :) gas gas gas :)

If you ask for something they will generally give you something before they wheel you into the OR. One time I had valium, which I am not a fan of, I forget everything for days afterward, and one time I had something else which I can't remember. I much prefer being fully conscious when I am rolled into the OR. When they knock you out, the second drug they push (at least for me) is this white stuff....oh hello wonderful, you see it go in, you feel all warm and high, and then bam, you wake up in recovery.

Short version answer, yes, if you tell them you're feeling anxious they will give you something that will likely make you forget everything from a few seconds after you take it until you're in recovery. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your replies. This anxiety is driving me crazy :/. Never had anything like it in my 40 years of life until my daughter went to college. It's horrible. I went to the dentist the other day and they have this new blanket type thing that they put over you when they do the X-rays. Well the new blankets have a thing that goes all the way up your neck and Velcro in the back. I thought it was ok because I knew that it was going to be a quick X-ray but my heart started racing and I could feel my blood pressure rising. I had to tell the hygentist to fold that part down. Anxiety sucks!

The tough part is it sneaks up on you. Just remember to control what you can like breathing, thoughts etc. You are so right, anxiety does suck!

I was supposed to be sleeved at 730 but an emergency appendectomy came before me...so I was laying on a bed in the holding area...( it was a long time before the finally hold me why I was just waiting even all the other people had gone and two hours later more were coming in!) so tbe anesthesiologist came in and gave me something to relax me..even asked me a while later if I wanted more...so they will definitely take care of you if you need it...just let them know when you are there.

Has anyone that has gone through with the sleeve surgery had problems with anxiety before hand? I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety issues and I am starting to worry about my surgery coming up in May. Will something be given to me in my iv before I am wheeled into the operating room? I don't want to have a full fledged anxiety attack right before hand :/.

Speak to your doctor beforehand and request it.