Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers post op?

I was just wondering if anyone has done weight watchers post op to help their weight loss. I'm halfway to my goal (in just a few months) but I've stalled. I've done WW in the past and found the point system to be a convenient way to keep tabs on what I am eating. I eat significantly less now post op (duh), but I'm wondering if the points system would be helpful in kicking this stall (it might be breaking, but I'm sure yet) and then stay on track once I hit my goal weight. I only hesitate because it costs $, I want to see if anyone else has found it useful before giving it another try.

My NUT told me that a lot of his patients that have kept the weight off long term did weight watchers about 2/3rds of the way to goal. He said he thought it was helpful because of the meetings, teaming up with friends and the weigh in's each week. The plan itself...the "meals" are still going to be too much for us. Our food choices will just be different than everyone else's because we need to eat really small meals and high Protein. I know the program too. Did it several times...very successful once, a long time ago. I just don't think I am to the point where I want to pay a weekly fee. I'm still paying for the surgery.....and will for another 2 yrs, more than likely. And I pay Planet Fitness each month too. A lot of my "me" money is already going out the door for this. But.....if I ever get to the point where I feel I'm getting off track, I will definitely revisit WW's.

Also, I am at a weird point. Lots of stalls. Its discouraging. I am still well within the guidelines of the diet but I have noticed that I tend to eat a little more carbs than I did in the beginning. So....that's going to stop. I have gained 1lb since starting weight training last week (have only been doing cardio up till now) I'm hoping the weight training will help with this stall, lose, stall, lose cycle I've been in. Maybe after I put on a little muscle I can dip back into the carbs??

Edited by Bobby46

Yeah, 37 points (my old point level) is definitely more than I need, but I am wondering if just keeping track of what I eat based on the point values will help me make better decisions, even if I am consistently under the 'points'. I do it online - no meetings - and fortunately insurance covered my surgery, but we are a one income family so I want to make sure the $$ is worth it.

They should really create a system for bariatric patients.

I've just started weight watchers and plan to follow it. I'm 4 years out and still down reasonably thank goodness! - I got down to 158 at my lowest and bounced up to 186. Not happy about that but I'm hoping using weight watchers as another tool on top of my VSG will help me to get the weight back off and keep it off.

I did WW online pre-op. I think it could be helpful post-op. The major issues I think you would have is keeping up with Protein. The point system doesn't give you a fast way to count your protein. You'd still have to keep a parallel tracking system for protein as the points calculations would be pretty useless quantity-wise.