Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i am excited about surgery but also scared and thinking how much pain i will be in. I know everyone's pain tolerance is different. Would anyone be able to compare the pain to c-section because that was super painful?

You're right, everyone's pain tolerance is different. I have had 22 surgeries to date, and the sleeve was the least painful of all of them. Compared to having a rib removed, and having the "wonderful" chest tube removed that went with the rib removal, the sleeve was a PIECE OF CAKE!!!!!!!! ! ! But others have said it was extremely painful for them. I'd say to mentally prepare for the worst, but don't go overboard and assume it will be horrific, either. The thing is this: yes, it's going to hurt. You will, more than likely, have gas pain in your shoulder area, but it will dissipate with time. You may or may not have incision-site pain, and pain throughout the abdomen. But I can honestly say I never felt abdominal pain. Or gas pain. And for the most part, just a little pain where the incisions were made (5 total for me). It may be because I've had so many abdominal surgeries that nerves were cut that never repaired, so I have no sensation in some areas. But my husband said he has never seen me recover so quickly after a surgery that was so serious before, so I think that says something! Just remember this, it WILL pass, especially if you follow Dr.s' orders. Don't overdo afterwards, and take it easy. I wish you the best, and let us know how it goes!

There is pain, but nothing that that's not controllable with the pain pump and take home meds.

A heating pad was also very helpful at home after discharge from the hospital.

So far, my sleeve is almost just as painful as my c-section. Which wasn't too bad. Right now -24 hrs post op, I'm on some sort of Tylenol via the IV, but I'm sitting up and walking with just some pain rolling off bed.

My neighbor though is knocked out on pain medication since she is in lots of pain (lots of groans just moving in bed and whinny cries when she has to get up).

So everyone is different.

I'm not typical. I had virtually no pain. In fact, the nurse asked me why I wasn't using the pain pump. I didn't need it. I did take the nausea meds though. Anesthesia makes me ill, and as a vetran of several surgeries I knew what to ask for.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches