Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet pills: I don't believe that none work

Hi,

I just don't believe that "nothing" works at all when it comes to diet pills and supplements. I'm not talking about a "magic" pill that causes weight loss without diet and exercise, I'm talking about a pill or supplement that gives an edge to weight loss when combined with diet and exercise.

I think that there are combinations of herbs that work, but that the pharmaceutical companies don't want that information out there because they would lose money on their own meds like Meridia and Xenical.

Besides, there is too much anecdotal evidence out there of things working for me to dismiss the concept that something could give me an advantage in this fight.

So, I want to know what worked for you. Please do not write and say "all of these things are a waste of money. People just want to avoid diet and exercise. Save your money and join a gym instead." I have heard that theory and I am not looking for that answer because I already know how some people feel about it.

I want to know what works. I want to hear stories like "I tried X product and felt it gave me a slight edge in losing weight." Or "I tried X and it helped to break my plateau."

Thanks!

I took phentermine in the past, and had a very little success despite the fact that I felt a major reduction in cravings. Since being banding, I have been on a medication that is prescribed for a different reason but one SIDE effect of this med is reduction in appetite. Never felt that side effect until AFTER banding. So, yes, I believe that some meds can help take the edge off those cravings and could help in conjunction with diet and exercise. Then there is those that unpleasantly expel excess fats from your system...but I just didn't have enough money in the world to try and find one that would work- because my hunger and other issues would counteract the effects of these meds anyway.....hmm, rambling. Good luck!

I took "Slimquick: the Female Fat Burner" that I purchased at Walmart. it's essentially a caffiene pill. I found that I couldn't tolerate the final recomended dose, which was 2 pills twice a day. I could do 2 in the morning and 1 in the early afternoon, but if I had one after about 3, I couldn't sleep and got jittery.

I do think the pills helped me to exercise harder and longer, which helped with a few extra lbs. Overall, I'd say maybe the bottle helped me to lose 2 extra lbs in a month of taking the pills. I didn't buy a second bottle for a couple of reasons (mostly I didn't like feeling slightly jittery), though I'd consider it again if I were to hit a stubborn plateau.

The combination that worked miracles for me is now off the market.

Phen Fen was a miracle drug for me.

How Fen Phen Worked

Fenfluramine was designed to increase the level of neurotransmitter serotonin in the blood. Increased levels of serotonin depress central nervous system activity, which regulates mood and appetite. The end result was a feeling of fullness and loss of appetite. Phentermine also worked on the neurotransmitters in the brain, but instead of being a depressant like fenfluramine, it was a stimulant. It stimulated the "fight or flight" response in the body, which causes the heart rate and blood pressure to increase. This stimulation also reduces or dampens the hunger signal. Phentermine continues to be sold commercially and is similar to other appetite suppressants, such as sibutramine or dextroamphetamine.

Fen Phen and PPH, Dietary supplements, Primary Pulmonary Hypertension

The miracle for me was the loss of appetite. I had never before experienced eating until satiated and WANTING to stop. Eating became an almost chore. Whatever it did to my brain, I have never again found a drug or combination to replace it. I hope one day they find a replacement, that acts the same without the dangerous side effects that this drug had.

I have tried Phentermine alone since with limited results. However, we all matabolize drugs differently, so if you wanted to try one, that would be my recommendation.

How are you doing on your weight loss Sunta? I see by your pictures you are very close to goal....congratulations.

How are you doing on your weight loss Sunta? I see by your pictures you are very close to goal....congratulations.

Thanks so much. I have 65 pounds to go until goal, and have lost approximately 90 thus far.

I have been on a plateau for about two months in which I have not lost a pound!

This is partially my fault though, as I haven't been exercising very regularly (ok, actually not at all).

I am looking for something just to give me that little extra edge to get going again, while beginning to exercise. I'm thinking that if I had something that accelerated my loss just a little bit, I'd be even more motivated to exercise.

So far I've tried green tea, hoodia (I swear this makes me 10x's more ravenous! It seems to have the opposite effect on me), and "Accelis" and one other thing I can't remember the name of. So far, nothing seems to be working.

I currently have 1cc in a 4cc band, and I know it's a little too loose, but I can't seem to tolerate anything more. Most recently, I had to have a complete unfill for two weeks due to complete blockage of my pouch and inability to keep liquids down. My band just suddenly tightened up for no reason and I was totally blocked off. During the unfill, I gained almost three pounds.

So, that's it in a nutshell. I just want to get these last 65 pounds off and get on with my life! I'm ready for my weight loss journey to come to an end and to begin a lifetime of maintenance.

I do sometimes wish Phen Fen was back on the market, but I know that is a foolish wish.

For now I will continue with the green tea, Accelis, and the other thing, and see if they make any difference.

I have never tried any pills...i think they are garbage. But before you jump on me...listen to what i have to say.

I think the infomercial pills, the magic stuff like you said...thats total crap.

I think many of the herbal stuff...thats also BS, they are not proven. You might tell yourself well it says scientifically proven and such...WELL...(this is for weight lifting supplements...the kind of things that say its scientifically proven to boost bulk etc. but it still applies) My University nutrition teacher, who has a doctorate, has once showed us an advertisement showing look here's the claim...ok, now you can call these companies to get them to send you their research. So they tell her, ok it is in this article, etc. So now, she takes a good look at it. Basically ALL their research is crap. Non sufficient numbers in the test group, no control group....in other words the research is not scientific. This is the same claims that these pills have and i'm sure if you had someone check these out, theyre bullshit.

As per medicine, i think some of them might work, but not for long term, and they usually have pretty mean side effects. The future in the drug weight loss industry may be promising, such as the molecules that inhibit grehlin (hunger hormone), promote leptin (satiety hormone), drugs that block cannabis receptors etc....but for now...the only proven successfull weight loss is surgery. In 5 year comparisons, surgery is the way to go.

I do sometimes wish Phen Fen was back on the market, but I know that is a foolish wish.

Wow...seriously foolish, that stuff causes damage to the heart valves.

I took Phenfen for just a little over a month. I had a echocardiogram done many years later and it showed slight valve damage. It did work as far as weight loss went. I lost a lot of weight but gained it all back right away. When you purchase diet pills it states that they are to be used in connection with a diet and exercise. If you look at the diet most are very restrictive. I'v probably spent a fortune on diet pills and what not to no avail. If I lost weight it came right back plus more.

The only supplement I've ever tried that had any effect at all was ephedra, which is also now off the market. It didn't reduce my appetite that I recall but did increase my energy to the point where I really would rather be doing something than sitting still. Time would fly by and I'd forget to eat. My biggest eating trigger was and still is boredom, so anything that gets me off my butt is a great anti-nibbling influence.

I've tried to replicate the effect with caffeine, but that just makes me unpleasantly jittery and irritable in the bargain. I'd love to find something like ephedra again--I lost 30 lbs with it in the year before I was banded. If I could combine it with being banded? Watch out, mama!!

Most of the time, they don't work. Amphetamines will work short term but you build a tolerance to them and they quit working. Or, when you quit taking them weight comes back.

I received a sample of "Fyre" from Syntrax and for various reasons I wanted to try some of their products. I LOVE it! I ordered a bottle but I know better than to think this stuff is going to work long term. I don't plan on taking it more than 1-2 times a week at most. It is no different from the other gazillion products on the market. It will speed you up short term and then quit working.

I don't believe drug companies have as much power as people like to think when it comes to weight loss products or conspiracy theories. They just can't stop the unregulated industry of "herbal" drugs, etc. There are far too many companies coming up with their version of snake oil and it really IS snake oil. If the drug co's can't stop the bad co's, they can't stop the good companies.

I just read an article tonight about some promising studies on various drugs but nothing tried and true yet. Might want to check it out:

Obesity News & Weight Loss News & Fitness News from Medical News Today