Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Therapist says "You can do it w/o surgery"

I did the Psch Eval and after that was required 3sessions with a therapist to discuss moving on after divorce (I divorced my ex- as in ME divorcing him, not him divorcing me over 5 years ago..we had 28 years and most of them married) I have no idea why the Psych lady thought I needed that nor did I care honestly. I figured "ok, I will find a therapist do the 3sessions to get cleared and skip along my merry way"..

BUT This woman is insists on going over with me every diet I have ever been on and asking me all the questions the surgeon, Nutritionist and Psych Eval person have already been over with me..

Her conclusion? If you can stop yourself after a few ounces once you have surgery, why can't you now? Why can't you just stop?.. :angry: OMG the rage that was building in my belly lol.. honestly, I am so tired of being questioned about all of this.. It was not an easy choice AT ALL. I have really been through it up and down and taken 3 years to finally say YES, LET'S DO THIS!..

I lost 80 lbs going from 240-160 back in 2008 using a trainer and a traditional diet.. I am back at 210 and my auto-immune diseases and morbidities have all but taken over my life. She does not understand why I cannot just do it again. Previously, I also was not thru menopause as I am now. I CANNOT go after exercise like a force to be reckoned with as I did before with fibromyalgia, arthritis, degenerative joint disease and on and on..

Sorry to rant, but I cannot believe this woman and all I can do is sit there and repeat in my head I only have to see her three times so just appease her and get the H outta there. UGH!!

People think they know so much.. they have NO IDEA what a hard decision this is.

and BTW.. she didn't mention my Ex even once LOL

Your psychiatrist is obviously a moron. There's a HUGE difference in eating only a few ounces before surgery than being ok with that amount of food after . DUH! @@MoMo12onTheGo

@@MoMo12onTheGo

How frustrating. It would be great if your therapists sat in on a bariatic seminar to learn more. (wow, what a concept..Knowing about bariatrics before you gave a professional opinion about it)

She is a Master Level (per requirements) and I get to pay her $150 (per visit) out of pocket.. ohhhh the joys LOL

Edited by MoMo12onTheGo

Thanks for sharing. These types of things just drive me nuts. I personally have a problem having a psych evaluation for seeking help for a medical problem. Really? When someone has a heart problem and seeks help do they get referred for a psych eval? No, they get evaluated and treated. There are basic screening tools that the doctor can use and make referrals based on need, not just as a matter of course.

That being said, my practice uses a psychologist that has a lot of knowledge in this area. So, my evaluation was pleasant and interesting. Was it worth the $178 I was charged? No, but that's ok.

@@MoMo12onTheGo, After you are done with these sessions and have your insurance approval, make sure you inform your surgeon and the psychologist that referred you about this therapist's ignorance about bariatrics. Hopefully they won't continue to send bariatric patients to her.

I'm so sorry you have such a bad therapist with regards to bariatrics.

I'm sure all of us here can lose the weight. But the sleeve also helps us with long-term success, which is where I'd venture to say that all of us have failed, which is why we're having/had the surgery.

I do hope you find better support on your journey! You know we're here for ya!

Best of luck!

Do all of your sessions have to be with this same psychologist? I thought the whole point of a psychologist was to help you map out a plan for success after surgery. This one sounds like judge, jury, and executioner.

My psych did not badger me at all. We talked about how to conquer poor eating habits and the anxieties that go along with major life changes like bariatric surgery.

I hope you can find someone else. If you are stuck with this one, keep notes while each conversation is fresh. Let her see you take the notes. If you still feel like reporting her lousy approach to bariatrics, you will have documentation. As a former Human Resource professional, I can tell you this: The one with the most documentation wins.

That's a simple answer. "I will have no choice but to stop eating after a few ounces after surgery. That's why."

Ugh. I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

Edited by Garifab_VSG

I can and have lost a good amount of weight on the "just stop" diet. Problem is, I couldn't ever maintain that lifestyle and KEEP it off. Now I physically can't over eat. Can I self sabotage? Sure, if I work at it. I have no illusions I can fail at this too if I allow it. Difference is, if I get a little off track weight wize its MUCH easier to turn it around now. I creep outside my maintenance zone, focus for a week and RECOVER rather than going further down the rabbit hole. I feel like I finally have a fighting chance at maintaining my health this time.

As a therapist who used to do psych evaluations, I want to say sorry for your experience. Unfortunately, there are bad therapist just like any other field. Make sure your doctor knows so they won't use that person anymore. The therapist is supposed make sure you are mentally prepared for the procedure and that you have good support and coping skills.

Thank you for everyone who responded. I saw her again today and I will definitely be letting my Dr. office know she may not really be suited for this...once I am done. I still see her one more time this Thursday & then I am done.

Today she asked me if I had been to any support groups. I told her I had and she asked if I had any documentation to show my attendance.. HUH??? UM NO, I don't? She went on.. "For me to make a recommendation..." I stopped her there and let her know I didn't need her recommendation. I reminded her of what my referral stated which was 3 visits to discuss moving on after a divorce.. GOOD GOSH, I never wanted to rehash my ex and my marriage more than I did today LOL.. would have been much better than her weird comments. "You really don't look all that big to not be able to tackle this on your own." .. Eye Roll .. I am 5'1 and 210lbs.. Really? I have multiple morbidities. A couple of which are preventing me from working out properly and effectively. I just cannot get over this woman.

OMG. That's the biggest waste of time and money I've heard about in a while. Sorry to hear that. So absurd.

That sounds ridiculous. Sorry you had to go through that. I was so nervous about my psych eval that I googled "gastric surgery psych eval" so I would know what i was in for.

❤️Alybear

This is very unfortunate, I would definitely let the surgeon and bariatric group you work with know you had this experience. I was glad I was given an approved list of psychologists that had experience with bariatrics. Sounds like you got a loser but I wouldn't let it get to you, it's her problem not you. Good luck with the rest of your prep work!