Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a week out from my Bypass, I want to hear from you all, HONESTLY , do any of you regret doing this? I know how I feel BUT.....

I feel I have made a VERY informed decision, especially having had the Lap Band, I have SOME idea what I am in for. However, I know, there is no going back from this. I hope I will have great results, be happy and never look back! But, thinking, reading, learning is all great, however, I want to know about all of you out there LIVING it. Do you wish you were back in my chubby little shoes? Would you do it again? Run screaming from the hospital? Tell me the no BS truth as I know you all will! lol

I'm only 2 months post-surgery, so it's a bit early to be making any grand pronouncements. But I can tell you pretty confidently that the hardest part (i.e., surgery, recovery, needing to learn to eat differently every 2 weeks or so, figuring out how/when to exercise, etc.) is behind me. And the hard part was SO EASY that my biggest regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

I am happy all day every day. I love myself and my life. That's so unlike me that I don't recognize myself (metaphorically, although physically is changing so fast too...)

I've already noticed a huge difference in my level of energy and mobility, and I know it's only going to get better from here. I've already lost 1/3 of my excess weight in this short time. I honestly never believed it was possible to change my life so much for the better, much less that it could happen so quickly.

You wanted honest? You got it. So there you go. :)

I would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat. I was one of the lucky ones. I never had any complications from my surgery and the weight came off slowly, steadily and a year or so later, it was gone, along with my hypertension, joint pain GERD and cameral shyness. (I kept my apnea but with therapy, I can live with that). It sounds simple and for the most part it was. I just followed my plan every day and did not try to eat around or cheat my tool. It has served me well. I am in maintenance and that quite frankly scares me to death. It has always been my contention that the big number to lose was the problem. If I could just lose it, I was sure I could keep it off. Well now I am at the point where I will have to prove that to myself. My tool did it's job and now I have to do mine. So far, so good but I never want to let my guard down. I will always be an obese person in a thin body and I am okay with that.

Edited by Tscription

Thank you both so much for being so honest, I know being in my shoes is far apart from being in yours so, thanks for shedding some light. I have a few nay Sayers in my life and like the comedian with a Colosseum full of laughing people, I am focused on the one person in the crowd who is stone faced! Why do we always do that? Have a hundred supportive people on our side and one negative Nancy but that's voice we cant ignore!? Its giving me a bit of cold feet but, I know, I have tried it all and I don't want to be trapped in this massive tomb of a body anymore. I want to live, just like both of you decided to do. Thank you both so much for your input!

So glad you asked that question. Unwanted to ask as many people as I could if they would change their minds or so it all over again. I'm looking at a late May surgery for RNY and I have days of excitement and days I want to run somewhere, not sure where just not to the hospital and go thru this. Scared out of my mind and then resigned to the fact that this will be my final peace to all that ails me. Thank you for the honesty !!

I am 5 months post-op Gastric Bypass and I would absolutely do it all over again. Yes, there is a lot of, after surgery management to hurdle through, but I would absolutely do it all over again. It has completely given me my life back and I have lost 89 pounds in only 5 months. My clothes feel better, fit better, look better. I would never want to go back. You already made the commitment to yourself, just stick with it, you are worth it!

Thanks guys for all the feed back. It's such a huge life change, it's just hard to get your head around the perminance of it all. Also, at the pre option diet stage, it seems like your just huddling toward your destiny like some chubby whirling dervish ! I always feel I must be missing something, forgetting a question. Underestimating the charms of size 20 jeans and work clothes that cost ungodly amounts of money? Then I try yo just relax an meditate on why I wanted this so bad, and I believe, I still do.

I am 5 months post op as well and I have not for one second regretted my decision to have RNY. I am down 82 lbs and 5 sizes. The most important thing is I have my health back. Diabetes gone, high cholesterol gone, sleep apnea gone, and most importantly i had stage 3 kidney disease and my kidneys are functioning normal!

There is a lot of change that comes with the decision but I don't even mind the change. It is good healthy change! I was very ready and did not have a single doubt going in. I also had a very supportive husband who had my back.

Don't second guess yourself but do make sure you are truly ready. If you are having doubts you should talk to your phsycologist. They will help you work through them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you both so much for being so honest, I know being in my shoes is far apart from being in yours so, thanks for shedding some light. I have a few nay Sayers in my life and like the comedian with a Colosseum full of laughing people, I am focused on the one person in the crowd who is stone faced! Why do we always do that? Have a hundred supportive people on our side and one negative Nancy but that's voice we cant ignore!? Its giving me a bit of cold feet but, I know, I have tried it all and I don't want to be trapped in this massive tomb of a body anymore. I want to live, just like both of you decided to do. Thank you both so much for your input!

I can relate so much to this. I just had RNY on 2/23 and I seem to focus much more on the very few people in my life who have been less than supportive, but trying my hardest to hear the many supportive voices all around me. This forum is great because it is really all positive and is a safe place for us to come garner strength and support from others who have walked this same path. I find it so helpful to talk with veterans and newbies alike.

How are you feeling so far, physically?

My only regret would be I wish I had had bypass first! I was a revision from band to bypass in May 2014. I am 2 pounds under my goal weight. Which was a normal bmi. Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe it. The only issue I have is with alcohol. I don't handle it very well. It's probably a good thing lol. I didn't exercise, the weight still came off.. I do eat sweets now and then. I feel fantastic and I look the best I probably ever have. It was a much easier surgery for me than the band was and I had my band removed at the same time I was revised to bypass. It's soooo much easier than the band.

Wow, you all look great! and I'm so glad it has it has gone so well or you! I think I am just having a bit of cold feet! I guess you don't get to the size we are or (were) because we are always full of confidence all the time! I just need to stop second guessing my own decisions and just know I'm on the right path. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, it really means a lot to me that you took the time.

I'm 5 weeks out.

I wouldn't change it at all.

I had second guesses for about a month beforehand, and got really emotional.... 'Could I just do this by myself?' 'I suppose I could give it one more try' but really, I was just scared of the change.

It is difficult sometimes, and I've had a few complications along the way, but I am so happy with the decision to do this.

I would be open with a few people around you about it, so that if you are struggling you have a support network as well.

I'm saying this as if it's going to happen loads, it's not, but sometimes it's nice just to talk about it!

You won't look back, I've never thought why have I had this done. You'll do great :)

I'm 8 weeks post op and lost 36 pounds, so far. It hasn't been an easy 8 weeks either. I've suffered with nausea and vomiting on a daily basis. I was able to exercise only a few days before my knees were screaming in pain. My scale stopped moving in the right direction and told me I gained 5 pounds, that was super depressing. For the next 3 weeks the scale didn't budge and I got very depressed. During that 3 weeks I found out that my knees are arthritic and they are both bone on bone, I can feel the bones grinding each other. I'm most likely going to end up with two knee replacements, less that exciting.

Thank goodness when I got on the scale yesterday, I lost the 5 pounds I gained and an extra 1 pound. The scale is moving in the right direction! Even after all this, I'd do the surgery again. I could never do this on my own, I needed help.

Sassy,

Im so sorry to hear of the knees! My husband has similar issues and I know how agonizing it is. After he has his replaced, he felt like a kid again! Maybe this storm of issues will end up being a big rainbow of relief to long standing problems. As you get your knees fixed up and loose more weight and are over all more healthy, I bet you will feel like a new you. I hope you hang in and start feeling much better very soon.

I am 10 days post op, haven't had any pain or nausea. I have lost 12+ lbs already, have been pulled off one of my diabetic meds, my cholesterol meds and am taking 1/2 the blood pressure meds... I would not change ANYTHING at all. I am loving life and ready to see the new me at the end of this journey.