Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weightloss since first week and 1/2

Hi everyone out there. My surgery date was January 30th this year. For the first week and a half i lost about 26lbs. However im going on week 4 and havent seen any progress since. My scale reads the same since week 2 and honestly i am so scared that this surgery will not help me. I am not eating unhealthy or anything told not to. I started the gym this past Sunday. I am just petrified that this will not work. Has anyone else experience anything similar? ?? Please help ease my mind.

I am pre-op so I don't know from experience but from reading here I think it's not uncommon to lose a bit, stay level for a bit, then lose more, repeat. It's such a drastic change for your body, sometimes it tries to hold on to the fat longer in case of starvation. Also, it will probably help if you post which surgery you had (I assume bypass b/c of which forum you're in but sometimes people make a mistake in a hurry) and also exactly what you're eating and how much, how often, etc. Saying you aren't eating unhealthy still leaves a lot of questions - drinking enough, getting all your Protein in, etc?

I hope things start moving down again quickly for you!

Plateaus are normal, but my advice to anyone going through one is to get moving. Walk a little further a little faster each day. It has always helped to kick my body into gear. Please don't give up and remember this battle is mostly in your mind. Keep positive, stay focused and track everything!

Believe it or not it is normal and it will happen frequently enough to make you a little crazy. The body is pretty interesting when it comes to weight loss. If it thinks it is starving it will go into starvation mode and hang onto stored fat. For me the longest was about 3 weeks before things started moving again. Then you lose another Ten pounds and it all starts happening again.

I have learned that you can almost move past it a bit quicker if you change your routine a little bit. Try exercising with a different routine, on different days with different times. The body does not like routine. Even food matters, the best luck I have had is by increasing Protein and Water.

The good news is, you will get past it but you must stick to the plan and keep moving forward.

I'm in the same boat as you. My surgery was on 1-28-15. 4 weeks later and I have BARELY lost 15 total pounds since surgery.

I am beyond frustrated! I am going by the book with food, liquids and Vitamins...everything! Protein intake averages 60g I actually added more this last week to see if that sparks anything. I didn't gain any after surgery either. no problems or complications.

But seriously, 15 pounds, that is IT. That was all in the first 10 days - then nothing since. nothing.

I know about the week 3 stall (I read enough of these boards to know it's normal) but a stall from the beginning that has lasted 3 weeks plus... this is beyond frustrating. I'm in tears most nights when I go to bed. I don't weigh myself every day. maybe every 3 days at the most. it's ridiculous. I might be okay with a stall if I had lost 20 or more pounds, but seriously 15.

That just sounds comparably low to everyone else, you lost 28. I'm jelous.

I am post op 1-9-15, in down 36 lb. What I am finding is that we are healing internally and now I'm starting to see the scale move... Take it slow, rest, be easy your first couple months- it will come off!! I'm in the same boat and I starting to see changes slowly but surely! I had my surgery and then a post op GI bleed 9 days after discharge, they had to put 22 lb of fluids on me, setting me wayyyyy back!! It will happen, we will do it!!

I am post op 1-9-15, in down 36 lb. What I am finding is that we are healing internally and now I'm starting to see the scale move... Take it slow, rest, be easy your first couple months- it will come off!! I'm in the same boat and I starting to see changes slowly but surely! I had my surgery and then a post op GI bleed 9 days after discharge, they had to put 22 lb of fluids on me, setting me wayyyyy back!! It will happen, we will do it!!

Thank you so much for the reply this hasss help me calm down a bit more. Giving me hope. & yes we can do it. Its nice to talk to someone that knows the feeling and is going through this too. :) i wish you the best

I'm in the same boat as you. My surgery was on 1-28-15. 4 weeks later and I have BARELY lost 15 total pounds since surgery.

I am beyond frustrated! I am going by the book with food, liquids and Vitamins...everything! Protein intake averages 60g I actually added more this last week to see if that sparks anything. I didn't gain any after surgery either. no problems or complications.

But seriously, 15 pounds, that is IT. That was all in the first 10 days - then nothing since. nothing.

I know about the week 3 stall (I read enough of these boards to know it's normal) but a stall from the beginning that has lasted 3 weeks plus... this is beyond frustrating. I'm in tears most nights when I go to bed. I don't weigh myself every day. maybe every 3 days at the most. it's ridiculous. I might be okay with a stall if I had lost 20 or more pounds, but seriously 15.

That just sounds comparably low to everyone else, you lost 28. I'm jelous.

Thank uou so much for your reply. You will get there. Keep your head up seems like we are not the only ones with this problem but we can do it. .. need anyone to talk to message me !

Believe it or not it is normal and it will happen frequently enough to make you a little crazy. The body is pretty interesting when it comes to weight loss. If it thinks it is starving it will go into starvation mode and hang onto stored fat. For me the longest was about 3 weeks before things started moving again. Then you lose another Ten pounds and it all starts happening again.

I have learned that you can almost move past it a bit quicker if you change your routine a little bit. Try exercising with a different routine, on different days with different times. The body does not like routine. Even food matters, the best luck I have had is by increasing Protein and Water.

The good news is, you will get past it but you must stick to the plan and keep moving forward.

Thank you so much for this reply its very very helpful in easing my mind. I will keeo this all in mind and keep hope high. I am trying to increase both Protein and Water now. And switched up my regular work out routine at the gym today. :)

I'm in week 3 and for the first week and half I had lost 18 lbs then I didn't lose any till this week since I have added soft foods. The key to is to get lots of Protein to help your body heal. It thinks it's in starvation mode so the more Protein the better is what I was told.