Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! New here!

Hey everyone! So I just signed up on here because I'm actually scheduled to have my gastric sleeve done on February 18th and I thought it would be helpful to have some sort of an online support group.

Anyways, I'm a 26 year old recent divorced mom of one. I have been struggling with my weight pretty much all my life but now I am at a record high and I cannot take it anymore!

Losing weight used to be an easy thing for me. Well, not easy, but waaaaayyy easier than it has been ever since I had my first baby 14 months ago.

But not anymore! After a few months of research, I've decided I want to go through with a weight loss surgical procedure. I've scheduled my vertical gastric sleeve with Doctor verboonen in Tijuana, Mexico for February 18th, 2015. That's exactly one week from tomorrow! Eeekk! I'm nervous! Has anybody had a procedure done by him? Or heard of him? I read great reviews prior to selecting him and his patient coordinator Sheri Burke is awesome!! She's like your own personal weight loss assistant. Emails, calls, and texts me back right away with answers to any questions I may have!

I am on a 10 day pre op liquid diet. But I must admit, I cheated last night. I started my pre-op on Saturday. And I did very well both Saturday and Sunday. And yesterday I did great all day! Until it was time for me to get off work. A customer of mine brought in a plate of home made brownies about 10 minutes before my shift was up. She was so excited. This was her 10 year old daughters first time baking something all on her own. Do I tried one. And that one led to two more afterwards. It was sooooo good! But I felt so guilty afterwards.

I'm back on my diet routine today. And I'm determined to stick to it. I wonder, how bad would my little setback from yesterday hurt me and my upcoming procedure?

Also, if anyone has any tips on what I should take with me to Tijuana? That would be much appreciated! I'll be there for 3 days following my surgery.

Thanks a bunch! ????

congrats. welcome. cheating happens. acknowledge your mistake is good and try to get back on track. no, it won't derail your procedure, but shrinking the liver (reason for the pre-op diet) will make the surgery easier on your dr. and will make for an easier recovery for you. best of luck and welcome

congrats. welcome. cheating happens. acknowledge your mistake is good and try to get back on track. no, it won't derail your procedure, but shrinking the liver (reason for the pre-op diet) will make the surgery easier on your dr. and will make for an easier recovery for you. best of luck and welcome

Thanks! I was worried because I read on here that quite a lot of people went on 2 week, even 3 week pre op diets, and mine is only 10 days. So I figured I didn't have any room at all to cheat. But I'm glad to know that one setback won't possibly hurt my chances to going through with my surgery. I'm definitely going to stick to my diet! I've waited for this for too long for it to not happen next week!

Welcome!!! I agree with @@Rovobay, you acknowledged it and now move on. Keep to what your doctor wants you to do and all will be good.

I had my surgery in TJ also, not with the same doctor though. I stayed at the Marriott before and after surgery. They had pretty much all you need food and Water wise. So if you are staying there, no need for nutrition stuff unless you want something special. For other things, I took: PJ's, robe for walking, slippers, comfy clothes, GasX strips, neosporin, band aids, a small pillow (for traveling), some cash (for tips and misc), and I left all my jewelry at home (I went alone so no one to hold for me). Don't take a lot with you because you won't use it! I took two books which I never picked up (I napped after I walked). If you forget anything or need anything else, there is a Walmart right there and you can easily grab anything you have to have.

Hope that helps some! Best of luck to you and welcome to the losers club :)

Welcome!!! I agree with @@Rovobay, you acknowledged it and now move on. Keep to what your doctor wants you to do and all will be good.

I had my surgery in TJ also, not with the same doctor though. I stayed at the Marriott before and after surgery. They had pretty much all you need food and Water wise. So if you are staying there, no need for nutrition stuff unless you want something special. For other things, I took: PJ's, robe for walking, slippers, comfy clothes, GasX strips, neosporin, band aids, a small pillow (for traveling), some cash (for tips and misc), and I left all my jewelry at home (I went alone so no one to hold for me). Don't take a lot with you because you won't use it! I took two books which I never picked up (I napped after I walked). If you forget anything or need anything else, there is a Walmart right there and you can easily grab anything you have to have.

Hope that helps some! Best of luck to you and welcome to the losers club :)

Oh my goodness! That helps soooooo much!! Thank you thank you thank you!! Because I'm the kind of person who over packs for everything every time. But since I'm also going by myself, I didn't want to take a bunch of things. Anyways, thank you! I'm proud to be in this losers club. ????

Edited by thick2thin

You don't want to carry a lot especially if you are traveling alone. You have to worry about lifting your bag and you can only lift so much weight after surgery!

Welcome, I just joined as well, but I am still waiting to meet with the WLS center. :) Just wanted to say Hi and good luck!!!

You don't want to carry a lot especially if you are traveling alone. You have to worry about lifting your bag and you can only lift so much weight after surgery!

You're absolutely right. Wow, I didn't even think about "luggage" on my flight back from San Diego AFTER my surgery. How am I even going to get my carry on stored away in the compartment over my seat on the plane?? Lol. Oh Lord!

Welcome, I just joined as well, but I am still waiting to meet with the WLS center. :) Just wanted to say Hi and good luck!!!

Hi! Welcome and good luck. Also, thank you. Please keep us posted on your journey throughout!

My sister had surgery (VSG) 2 weeks ago in TJ. She had my mom with her and it was a real help. Do you have a person going with you? Also get up and walk! That's what she did and she was shopping (!!) in TJ by Friday (Surgery on Tuesday). Granted she wasn't fast, but she was out and about. She's down 10 since she got home. :)

@@thick2thin I will keep you guys posted! I am going the insurance route so it's going to be slow going vs. going to TJ.

You're absolutely right. Wow, I didn't even think about "luggage" on my flight back from San Diego AFTER my surgery. How am I even going to get my carry on stored away in the compartment over my seat on the plane?? Lol. Oh Lord!

The flight attendants helped me. I just told them I had recently had surgery and couldn't lift much. They were more than willing to assist me. My husband had contacted the airline while I was in Mexico and told them I needed assistance (yes, he's Mr. overprotective). They actually had a wheelchair available waiting at check-in and they took me to my gate. I had a connecting flight and the airline picked me up at the plane and took me to my next gate. In retrospect, I'm glad he did call them! If I would have done all that walking with my bag, I would have been overly exhausted. So when you check in to go, tell them that you will require assistance on your return trip. It will be noted on your reservation. You will also get to board first to get situated. I only suggest this because you are going alone. It helps you tremendously!

My sister had surgery (VSG) 2 weeks ago in TJ. She had my mom with her and it was a real help. Do you have a person going with you? Also get up and walk! That's what she did and she was shopping (!!) in TJ by Friday (Surgery on Tuesday). Granted she wasn't fast, but she was out and about. She's down 10 since she got home. :)

@@thick2thin I will keep you guys posted! I am going the insurance route so it's going to be slow going vs. going to TJ.

Awesome! What doctor did she use (if you don't mind sharing?) I'm excited to see how my results will be. This is whole new chapter to my life, as it is to many of you as well!

The flight attendants helped me. I just told them I had recently had surgery and couldn't lift much. They were more than willing to assist me. My husband had contacted the airline while I was in Mexico and told them I needed assistance (yes, he's Mr. overprotective). They actually had a wheelchair available waiting at check-in and they took me to my gate. I had a connecting flight and the airline picked me up at the plane and took me to my next gate. In retrospect, I'm glad he did call them! If I would have done all that walking with my bag, I would have been overly exhausted. So when you check in to go, tell them that you will require assistance on your return trip. It will be noted on your reservation. You will also get to board first to get situated. I only suggest this because you are going alone. It helps you tremendously!

Got it on my to do list. Lol. I will definitely remember to let the airlines know when I check in. It's very useful information. Thanks a bunch "wantingabetterlife"!!!

You are more than welcome! You can add me as a friend or message me anytime if you have any other questions. That's why we are all here, to ask and learn :)

You are more than welcome! You can add me as a friend or message me anytime if you have any other questions. That's why we are all here, to ask and learn :)

I would love to add you as a friend on here!! But I don't know how to do that. Lol.