Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post-surgery- New to forum

In April 2012, I was driving to work one sunny morning when my life changed. A 19 year old drunk driver drove into my lane and hit me head-on. I know just how lucky I am not only to be alive, but not to have been injured any worse than I was. I had 3 broken bones and spent 4 weeks in a wheelchair, 2 with a walker and cane, and weeks in physical therapy, but I'm still here! :D The problem was even after physical therapy, my joints hurt. I thought I just needed to work-out and lose weight. Uh, yeah, I was about 316 pounds, so that should have been enough of a clue! However, working out wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, because I was in pain during and after. I realized that I needed to take off the weight in order to make the exercise work for me. I had considered weight loss surgery before and had even gone to an informational meeting, but didn't follow through. It seemed too extreme! What I needed at this time was the extreme.

I had surgery Dec. 19,2012 by Dr. Teresa LaMasters. It was easily the BEST decision I've made to improve my health! I didn't have any problems. My insurance approved the procedure literally in less than 24 hours! I was fortunate that because of the car accident, my deductible was met and I didn't have to pay very much out of pocket for the procedure either. Nothing made me sick after surgery. My tastes changed some in that Protein drinks that I liked before surgery tasted like drinking Syrup after and I found that the only one I really like is chocolate powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. I also discovered Quest Protein Bars and love them! For about the first year, everything was easy. I got down to 209 pounds and stalled some. Some of the stall was due to the fact that I discovered I could eat anything and maintain for the most part as long as I worked out and didn't over do. So I'd gain and lose the same 5 pounds! (This is the point I should have been smacking myself in the head! lol) Things were going so smoothly for me, that my husband decided to have the surgery as well. He's 6'4 and was over 400 pounds. His surgery was June 2014. He's down 125 pounds so far.

Now we're to the part of my story that got me here. In October, my sister started to not feel good and went to the hospital. She came home and they thought she had a virus. Two weeks later, she was worse and they admitted her. Three days later, no one had answers and she was transferred to a bigger hospital. In the meantime, I'm working on an important report for the federal government that will help me gain "points" towards re-funding the grant for my program. I was also informed at this time that my employer didn't want to spend the money on a grant writer and that it was now "my job" to write the grant that funds my job and 3 others over the next 5 years. Oh, and did I mention I was supposed to do this in my spare time for no money? :blink: We're approaching Thanksgiving and my sister is still in the hospital without a diagnosis, but with dozens of tests run. The week of Thanksgiving, we hear she's going to get to come home! Yea! The next day, they decided they needed to put a stent in and that she can't leave yet. Two days later, they decided she had polycythemia vera. She never got to come home. She passed away on December 1. 12 days before her son's 22 birthday...22 days before her 25th wedding anniversary...during her daughter's first semester of college. It's just so surreal to have my best friend and sister be gone. Our family is fractured. Two days before the funeral, my husband had surgery on an elbow he'd injured. The thought of him with anesthesia terrified me. Then two weeks later, I had surgery. We made it through Christmas and needless to say, food was a comfort through all of this. On Dec. 26, I went for my yearly mammogram and got a call two days later that it was abnormal and I had to have another. From there, I went to a breast cancer specialst and was informed that I had to have a biopsy. (I'm thinking to myself, are you FREAKING kidding me!! Yes, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself!) Good news, NO CANCER! Whew! In the middle of all of this, I finished that stupid grant that turned into a nightmare and things were starting to look up! Then, honest to God, I should be in a country song...I came home last week to find one of our furry, four-legged children dead. :( ARGH!!!!

I've decided that if I've survived all of this, then I can DO ANYTHING!! Yes, I've gained 14 pounds since my lowest weight. However, I'm determined that this will not beat me!! I am so encouraged my the stories I've read here and am anxious to try some of the suggestions people have made. Thanks for giving me some inspiration!

@@jayhawkgirl

You have been through so much. It's times like these that you find out what you are made of. You are one tough cookie. I'm glad to see you are reconnecting with the bariatric community. 14 pound gain and you are two years out. Just a bump in the road. Like you said " you can do anything"

So sorry to hear all you have been through. Praying this is a better year for you. Welcome to the forum. There is alot of great support on here, you are in the right place. God Bless!

WOW. First off, welcome! You have had so many heartaches and issues to deal with. I can't even imagine how tough it has been for you. There is no doubt in my mind that you will overcome the gain and get back on track! You are way to tough to let this get you down and not bounce back! Best of luck to you :)

14 pounds - that's nothing! I gained 14 pounds in sympathy just from reading your tragic tale. One thing that's absolutely clear is that you're a survivor of incredible fortitude. If you can get through everything you've suffered than those extra pounds are probably already quaking in their boots for ever having the audacity to adhere themselves to your body in the first place. So get in there and remind them once again who's the boss here.

I think you're my hero. No pressure. I'm just saying.

Edited by The Candidate

Awe! Thanks everyone! I'm inspired by reading everyone's stories to just keep fighting those pounds. As my mom always says, "this too shall pass." I'm ready to pass these pounds to the trash! ;)

@jayhawkgirl

Do not beat yourself up over 14 pounds. You can and WILL get back on track. Although you have so much sorrow in your life, you also have so many blessings (your improved health, your husbands improved health etc.). This is a great forum to vent (vs. eat), Celebrate weight loss AND non-scale victories like smaller clothes size etc. Welcome to the biggest support group you will find!!!!!

@jayhawkgirl I am so sorry for the horrible couple of months you are having- my heart hurts for you. You have a great outlook though, and you are right, if you can make it through this, you can certainly make it through anything. I'm glad you were able to find this website and I'm sure you will find, like I have, that there are a ton of kind, supportive people on here who will be happy to answer your questions, give you a pep talk, or just "listen" to your posts.

Good luck on losing your 14 pounds and I wish you a far better year this year than last! :)

@@jayhawkgirl, so sorry for your loss. You truly have been through some difficult times. I had a breast cancer scare last January, so I can totally relate. Glad everything checked out fine.

You are taking a great step in making your health a priority.14 pounds is not insurmountable. Good luck and we're here to support you.