Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Uncomfortable

It will change. Right now you still have swelling. It does get easier but let your new tummy be your guide

No, definitely not.

As your sleeve heals, it feels much better to eat, and as you get used to it as well as start transitioning to different foods, you'll feel much more comfortable until the point that you feel 'normal' again. Just keep in mind that it will take a little time, and you will need to learn your body and learning your limits will indeed come natural to you.

Wishing you the very best success!!!!

Will it always be this way? I'm 2 weeks post

Not to hijack your post, but I am wondering the same thing. It kinda feels like a stabbing feeling when I swallow is that what you're experiencing? BTW, I'm just 6 days post op and on full liquids

Edited by amyecpa

I am 6 weeks post-op and I still can't eat solid food. I have tried everything I know to try. food makes nauseated and I am constantly getting sick to my stomach. I just want to feel good again, I

have lost a lot of weight and I am proud of that fact but how long will this last. I can't live off

of Protein Shakes forever. I feel like it gets stuck in my throat. Everyone keeps telling me that

I should be eating by now. Has anyone else had this problem this far out.

Eat SLOW, very SLOW and CHEW, CHEW, CHEW! I had the same problem initially and it was because I wasn't waiting long enough between bites, taking too large of a bite, and not chewing it until it was almost not there. After I learned that, it got much easier. Best of luck to you and hope it gets better soon.

Thank you, I will keep trying.

I am 16 months out and sometimes eating is stil miserable. For example, this morning I had about 1/3 of a bowl of oatmeal and for some reason it made me nauseous. Now I am eating turkey, another food that doesn't usually make me sick, and I just don't feel great. I tried Thai food Saturday and I puked for an hour. I can't eat more than a bite or two of sweets or I start getting hot flashes and want to barf. Eating anything that is major Protein oriented sort of blows. I wouldn't trade it though for being the size I am now. I knew going in that I would be giving up the enjoyment of food, so now I appreciate the bite or two I get, and move on.

That being said, I also felt like I was swallowing rocks the first few weeks. That part does go away! It is no longer physically painful to eat, however if you don't eat very slowly and in small portions, you will likely be barfing a lot. The sleeve will work, you just have to know that it's not always going to be a good time.

Feel better! :)

AvaFern: Thank you so much for your post, I was beginning to think that I was crazy. I know so many people who have had the surgery and have no problems at all. This past Tuesday I barfed so much

I thought I busted a rib. I know I am chewing my food enough and I know that I take tiny little

bites. I am sorry that you are having the same trouble. I guess we are in the 10% that have

problems. I hope you get better and thank you.

I'm 5 months post-op and eating is no longer uncomfortable for me unless I eat too much. I can eat anything without issue now, but if I eat too much, it is VERY uncomfortable. I'm getting better and better at correctly judging the amount I'll be able to eat before I eat it so I don't get to that point.

Edited by JamieLogical

Can anyone help! I am so sick, I was up again last night throwing up. I have tried taking tiny

bites and chewing until my food disappears. Still I stay sick, I can't eat... My tummy burns all

the time. I can't be the only one that this is happening too and there has to be something that

will help. I am at my wits end

@@Edavidson Have you called your surgeon? That should be your first step. Are you on a PPI like omeprazole? That might help with the "burning" you are feeling. Are you on anything for the nausea?

Can anyone help! I am so sick, I was up again last night throwing up. I have tried taking tiny

bites and chewing until my food disappears. Still I stay sick, I can't eat... My tummy burns all

the time. I can't be the only one that this is happening too and there has to be something that

will help. I am at my wits end

What does your surgeon say? From all I've read, this is not normal. Several posters with complications have described the same thing. A stricture is what comes to mind. I'm hoping some vets will come along and give their two cents. I'm still a newbie ????

I called my surgeon's office and they told me to take smaller bites and chew until the food disappears in my mouth. They didn't seem concerned. I did call my family physician but I can't

get in to see her until the 13th of February. I have nothing for the vomiting but I am hoping my

Dr. will give me somthing.