Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teachers and Time Off

To all of the teachers out there. How long did you stay out of work? Since we are on our feet all day and have to be "on" at all times, I am worried that I will be too weak for a while, especially during the liquids stage. What did you do?

I had mine right before winter break, so I was off 3 weeks. I think I would have been able to go back after 2 weeks. Plan on doing nothing else, as you will be exhausted. I'm about six weeks out now, and feel like I am starting to have somewhat more energy....I started exercising this week and it felt great.

I had mine over winter break as well. I think I would have been fine at 2 weeks, just tired.

I got mine over summer break and it was great because I had a lot of time to heal and get the post op diet done with it. Def need a few weeks imo

I took a week before Christmas break for a total of three weeks. It was nice to have the time, but I think I'd have been ok after 2- I was feeling awesome within a couple days, but it is a big job to get Protein and fluids in for that first couple weeks after surgery. I have worked out before school ever since going back and I feel really good. I do tend to fall asleep around 830 or. 9 each night, but I am getting up at 4 or 430 every day to exercise.

Good luck!

I think I might take sick leave... I don't really want to waste my school holidays recuperating. Plus, my own kids will be at school too, won't have to worry about amusing them at the same time.

I had mine during our February break. Surgery was on Saturday. Flew home Tuesday and went back to work Monday. I was really tired those first few days back. I teach second grade so I couldn't really do much teaching those first couple of days. I hate to admit it but I just gave mostly busy work and tried to take it easy. I didn't tell anyone about my surgery so that's why I didn't take any time off.

Yeah I teach high school so easier to be less mobile than with smaller kids. However, my classroom is on the second floor and I'm up and down those stairs several times a day which is what I'm more concerned about.

I teach high school. I am scheduled for Feb. 9th (I am taking that week off) and I am planning on going back to work after February vacation, so I only took one week off from work. Hope everything works out as planned! Best of luck!

I was sleeved the week before Christmas, which gave me 3 weeks off. I had a tough recovery for the first couple of weeks, and By the times I went back to work, I was tired but able to teach. I didn't tell anyone I had WLS (said I had a "feminine issue" that needed surgery), and no one is the wiser. Good luck with your WLS journey!

Thank you all for responding. I just received my date. It is February 16. I am off that week and will then take two more weeks.

I had my surgery and was back to work "PD" week the following week. It was do-able but ever so often I would feel a sharp pain in my gut and need to step out for a breather.