Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low blood sugar

I'm 3 years post op and have been successful in maintaining the weight loss. I am now having trouble keeping my sugar levels up. I usually stay around 70-75 (fasting-80 to 85 after eating). is this a coming thing after bypass surgery?

I had low blood sugar at 14 months post op. My doctor had me eating a small meal of some Protein and some carbs-- apple and cheese, whole wheat toast with Peanut Butter, Soup. It seems to have worked and my bs is much better.

I was actually wondering about this too. My fasting sugars is now between 70 and 75 every morning. Which is very strange because previously I was in the 120 range on average.

Is this something I should be worried about? I feel ok other than I am getting Migraines almost every day again. Not sure if this is related.

I came here to post about this issue and saw your thread. I am 18 months out and started having issues about 6 months ago. My fasting blood sugar was 65. I did not have any issues before the surgery. Last night I started feeling bad and went to check my blood sugar and could not see to prick my finger. My husband, who is diabetic, checked it for me and it was 33! It has never been that low and I was very scared. I'm glad I was not alone. I had a couple of 50s before but never this low. I have a call into my PCP and my surgeon's office. The dietician told me before that if I continued to have problems I may have to eat more frequently up to every hour! I don't know how I could manage this as I work full time. I am waiting to talk to her again.

Has anyone had this issue and then had it go away? I am really worried. Thanks

I'm closely watching this subject too. Some older RNY patients are aware of this and talked about it here early last year. There's more that can be found on the Internet if you look it up. But basically we have a chance of becoming hypoglycemic because of the surgery. A saw one of our WLS buddies on this site recommend carrying glucose tablets for those times when your sugar drops. I'm still way to early for it to happen to me but I'm aware it could some day.

I guess what I can add to this is that it does happen. My surgery was abt 30 years ago and I have spent a lifetime of trial and error working out what to eat when to keep my blood sugar level. Caffeine intake affects my bs a lot too. It still works best for me to eat every 2 hrs and keep the balance of protien, Fiber, and hydration balanced. I should also add that artificial sweeteners affect me a lot too.

hello there. I had high blood sugars and on medforman..now im off metformin and my sugars now drop to like 70'soglcemic is poo poo

Type 2 DM in remission. Also am a nurse. Dietitian recommended more complex carbs vs simple carbs and eat at least 10 GMs sugar each meal. Worst scenario is eating 6 small meals daily with complex carbs, 60-70 GMs Proteins daily/total, fruits- fresh better than canned. Bananas highest in sugar. Veggies need attention too. Whole wheat Pasta preferred over white pasta. Unprocessed foods r better used n stored in body vs processed foods.good luck!

I'm 14 months out and I've been having issues too. I've almost blacked out a few times and I feel like I eat to much sometimes to compensate. I hate feeling like I need to eat every hour but I try to keep it small. Peanut Butter, Protein Bars, nuts, Ect.

I've now been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia from my GB surgery. It's not really a big thing to me but I have to eat more often, just little meals with complex carb included. I'm lucky that my PCP's mother had the surgery when he was a little boy and knew all about it. I found out when my blood surgery was dropping to the 40s and 50s after I was eating sweets, (dumb I know), and I could really feel the symptoms. I've been playing with the clock now to see my time I need for meals and how complex carbs affects it. I was amazed at how little was required to stop my shakes when my sugar was low. As of now I can go without a meal for around 4 to 5 hours but it depends on my activity level too. My doctor's mother had to eat every two hours and drink a complex carb mix before bed. Luckily I'm not there yet. For everyone out there that has this or will experience low blood sugar you'll be forced to a strict diet and fined out sweets aren't your favorite friend any longer. Best of luck on your journey.

I've been living with RH for about 7 years. Check Into a paleo diet and adding more fats do your diet. It does wonders. :-)