Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not enough vitamins?

So I take now (since today) a multi, B 12, and Biotin Vitamin.

When I went to the doctors I did blood work and she said I just been more Vitamin D. So I'm gonna add that soon.

But I feel like every picture I see under the gastric sleeve hash tag on instagram everyone seems to be taking so many.

Am I doing something wrong?

You take exactly what I take and I just got my 3 month labs and everything looked great. I don't take 2x the Multivitamin. My doctor said that's a requirement for bypass but we should be okay with one.

My doctor follows the ASMBS guidelines and tends to be very cautious.I was already taking Biotin because I am menopausal. I currently take the multi, Calcium citrate+D, D3, B12 sublingual. I didn't have to take the Iron. I just got back my 3 mths blood work and everything was fine except my B12 was a little high.

Not everyone takes these because not every doctor follows the ASMBS guidelines. From what I understand it's questionable as to whether sleeve experience the same absorption issues as bypass patients and really need those supplements.

I made an appointment with my surgeon and NUT to ask. But with my primary doctor I'm fine except Vitamin D. Pre op I was deficient with Vitamin D so It wasn't suprising to me

There has been at least one item in the records questioning whether or not sleeves need the same, and also that different people have different requirements/needs for specific Vitamins that doctors don't address.

I take a prenatal Vitamin, vitamin d, vitamin B12, and b1. I don't take the b12 every day since my levels were slightly high. I take it every other day per my nutritionist's recommendation. We added in the b1 after my primary had my levels taken in September.

There is no one size fits all for postop Vitamin supplementation. We all eat differently, metabolize differently and have different physiological needs. The best thing you can do is get regular bloodwork including full Vitamin and mineral screens and adjust from there.

For example, I was taking a multi, vitamin D, B12 sublingual, Iron and Calcium postop. My 3 month bloodwork was all perfect. However, my 6 month labs showed my calcium and Iron were high, so I stopped those supplements. My B12 and D were on the high end of normal so I dropped them to just 3 days/week. Everything else was spot on. I am getting 12 month bloodwork done in 2 weeks, and will change whatever I need, if anything, at that point. I plan to do annual bloodwork as long as nothing gets too out of wack to warrant more frequent monitoring.

Edited by Kindle

Smart ideas Kindle.

I do have one question - what about the Calcium and Iron in the multi? See I have high copper. Copper is already in everything so I'll just be making a problem worse if I take a multi.

The regular bloodwork is key. My B12 was high so I'm taking that every other day. My doctor does every 3 mths for the first year do I'm going to adjust my supplements accordingly.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I'm only getting 20mg Calcium and 8mg Iron in my multi, so by eliminating the 1000mg of calcium and 28mg of Iron that were in my extra supplements, I'm guessing my levels will have normalized. Guess I'll know in a couple weeks.

As for copper, that's a tough one since it is in so many multi's. Any idea why it's high? I'm assuming you've had everything else checked. Possibly increasing your levels of zinc (which is one of the top 5 deficiencies of gastrectomy patients), Vitamin C, B complex, iron, selenium, chromium, manganese and/or molybdenum can lower your copper levels since they all kind of interact and balance each other.

At the moment no, it was waiting for all the results to come back. I do have a short list of possibilities after reviewing the research/trusted info and I'll discuss it with the PCP in Jan.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will take a look at these. I have time before I "present" to the PCP.

At the moment no, it was waiting for all the results to come back. I do have a short list of possibilities after reviewing the research/trusted info and I'll discuss it with the PCP in Jan.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will take a look at these. I have time before I "present" to the PCP.

@@swimbikerun have you figured out anything with your copper levels?

I just got my 12 month labs back and my Iron is back in normal range, but my Calcium is still slightly high. And surprisingly my folate was high, too. PCP isn't concerned. Everything else is spot on. (And I'm officially not menopausal yet .... It's all just "normal" bitchiness ????)

@@Kindle hey thanks for asking.

No, PCP was out sick. I'm like let her stay out sick. She's not infecting us. :) hee hee hee

Which Calcium level? blood, icalcium or have they done a urine 24 analysis? That's the way you are going to find out what is going on.

No, just blood serum Calcium. Since the level had gone down from July, it wasn't red flagged, but I think I will touch base with my doc tomorrow and see about getting ionized calcium and PTH levels checked. I've gotta go to the hospital for a CT myelogram on Thursday anyways, so what's one more needle poke?

A urine Calcium w/the I calcium is going to give you a good idea of where that extra calcium is coming from.