Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Me and Artificial Protein are NOT Getting Along

I am 8 days post op and in Stage 2 of my post diet and I am not nearly getting enough Protein. It seems the only way to get a substantial amount of protein is through protein drinks/shakes. But truthfully, I cannot stomach them. I had to force them down when I was pre op and I can't stand to even smell them post op.

I know I need to get my protein in, but I just absolutely, positively cannot do Protein drinks. Any suggestions?

So far my diet consists of Water, Gatorade, luigis Italian ice, gummy vitamins, and strained Soup.

FYI- I am one of those fresh fruit, fresh veggies, organic foods mostly type of people. So I'm discovering that I'm extremely picky. Go figure!

I was having the same issue, but I am finding that the pre-made "Premier Protein" pre-made drinks (available at Costco) are far more tolerable than the ones that I had to mix myself. Maybe try some different brands?

I agree with the Premier Protein comment. The powdered ones make me so sick to my stomach and Premier is the only kind that I can tolerate. It's easy, too, to just grab one out of the fridge!

Have you tried the unflavored Protein powders? You can mix it in Water, it has a little flavor, but not much. You can also mix it in your broth or Soups or other flavored drinks. It is thick, but the brand I use (muscletech) to me is better than the premade drinks. I get it on Amazon.com, there are different size containers available. If you don't like it so thick, you can dilute it more, but then you won't get the full 25g of protein, unless you drink more. Each serving (6oz) is 100 calories. So if you can get down 3 glasses, you will do 75g of protein. I know everyone different needs for their protein, but this is working for me. Also, it has been suggested that taking Biotin as a supplement might help with the Hair loss issue, which might be related to lack of protein in your diet, but don't think it will take the place of protein-it won't. Take your protein! There are dissolvable biotin formulas available. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

I ended buying a can of unflavored isolate whey Protein (vegan type) I would put a teasp in my coffee, in my hot teas, in my small Soups, in sf pudding cup..it took me a few wks to get my required in. I couldnt sip on Water much bc of the esophagus spasms I had for 2 wks...there are also Protein Shots you can get. cvs carries them...you'll get there. by my 6 wks I was gagging on shakes as well..I did also drink the pure Protein Shakes I did well with those but I did try the adkins an it was gross! it made my tummy cramp so I thru them out! I am 5 months out an I still eat on the pure Protein Bars an a few other brands when Its just me an dont feel like cooking. :)

Greek yogurt might be an option and the unjury chicken broth is quite good. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! I will try the unflavored Protein and the premixed.

I know the Protein is important that's why I posted. But I've thrown up twice since being home and I don't want the nausea causing more heaves and vomiting.

I'll update after trying the suggestions.

I like FAGE0% greek yogurt. It's 18 gm of Protein per 8oz. mixed with fruit you can get a pretty decent Protein boost that way. If it's too think for you, add some lowfat milk and mix in a blender.

As a vegetarian there are some organic protein powders out there: Biochem, Vega , Orgain organics to name just a few. There are also great unflavored Proteins that can be mixed with food. GENEPRO, Procource, Isopure and the infamous Un jury.

FYI- you may want to talk to your doctor about the gummie Vitamins. They are complete and may not be giving you all the mineral and nutrients needs. My doctor said even flintstone chewables were better than gummies.< /p>

@@BLERDgirl I will begin eating Greek yogurt again on Monday in Stage 3. Stage 3 has some actual foods in it that have good Protein, so I should be much better.

Just hoping I can hold out on my 10-15g per day until then. Needless to say, Monday can't come soon enough.