Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise & motivation

Maybe try using a Fitbit or similar device. I was fortunate in that I had remained pretty active despite having gained a lot of weight before surgery, so the first year or so I really didn't need motivation because I liked working out. After I had two plastics surgeries though over the course of 3 months, I couldn't work out for 6 weeks after each one and oddly enough I lost weight (which was probably partly muscle). I found that I can easily maintain and still lose a few pounds a month without any form of exercise so I got super lazy. I would still go to boxing class, but before I was running miles everyday. As of this week I decided it's time I get my lazy butt back in gear, so I bought both the Fitbit Charge and the Aria scale to serve as a motivator. The scale is a pound heavier than my regular scale so that was annoying, lol, but the Charge has been fun to have because I can see my progress so much better. I find it motivating to work toward goals and if you set your goal at 10,000 a day you can see throughout the day how close you are.

I feel you on this one. I have been lifting weights and doing cardio non-stop for the last 12 months. Here are a few of things I have done to help keep motivated: bought a good mountain bike, started swimming, treated myself to some nice quality workout gear/ shoes, bought a Garmin Vivofit, discovered a few new bands(workout music is key for me) re-discovered my love of Geo-caching, and when needed have taken a few days off to get back to level ground.

Best Wishes!!

I had surgery back in July and lost weight like crazy. I really stuck to the plan and did a bit of walking. I have a fitbit flex that I have been wearing religiously since mid September. I do strive for between 7500-10000 steps a day and usually hit that goal. So 3 months post surgery I had lost about 90 lbs. but from month 3 to 4 my weight loss slowed down a bit. To try to avoid a stall, about 1 1/2 months ago I joined a gym and started doing more cardio and weight training. I work out with a trainer 1-2 times a week and feel great. I really look forward to the workouts. When I touch my upper arms or legs I can really feel a difference in how toned they are getting. The funny thing is that since I started working out 4-5 days a week, my weight loss is still pretty slow now, but I'm not worried or stressed at all. The motivation comes from how I feel, and that is a lot better! Something happens when you see and feel the results, it makes me want to do more and more!

I also like "checking in" at my fitness center on Facebook. I get a lot of positive feedback from friends who know I am changing my lifestyle. lol

You have to pick and activity and stick with it. After time suddenly it becomes habit. Now if I skip a day I really do miss it.

I was like @@AvaFern, despite my weight I was always pretty active. I had been taking Water aerobics regularly before my surgery. I think it may have played a part in helping me recovery quickly. I didn't need any pain meds in the hospital and was walking in recovery. I was using the polar loop because it's one of the few activity montors that records underwater, but I just ordered a vivosmart because the loop bricked on me.

Finding something that interests you helps a lot.. I found that I LOVE road biking, so now I have two quality road bikes. during the winter I go to spin.. swim, and crossfit..

For me, taking classes helps so that I have something fun to look forward to at a specific time and date. Try something fun like dance. I took a belly dance class once that was lots of fun and a great workout.

I sold my treadmill on craigslist and bought a gym membership. my gym offers so much that I'm entertained all the time and don't get board. Besides cardio and weight lifting. I kayaked at the gym for my first birthday after surgery. For winter I'm off to a snow shoeing/ Natural hot springs soak trip with other gym members.

Many community events that I love. I jogged the turkey day 5K. Dec 20th I have the YMCA Christmas 10K.

Find activities you enjoy. Try not to make your workout a chore make it fun.