Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with Nay-sayers

Guest TooLarge

Want to thank all of you for your responses to this post, which although I was the author, it should help others who have the same dilemma.

I will be banded next month and I have only told a few people. Infact one friend I have know for 13years doesn't get to know because, they would be negative. I refuse to take my mom to my surgery date, and have choosen to take a friend because, she will support me. This is going to be my day the big day and I want it to go smooth.

My Boss knows and thinks I'm going to die or have complications. I told her that If I don't have this then I could, if I ever got any cor-morbid diseasaes to go along with being fat.

STAND STRONG AND DON'T RATIONALIZE TO MUCH WITH ANYONE. DO IT FOR YOU!!! AND GOOD LUCK!

I completely understand! The friends I have told have been trying to talk me out of it. My dad even said, "Don't you think you could just lose the weight if you exercise?" Hello, no obviously I can't or I wouldn't need to have the band! Not to mention I need to lose 120 pounds! Do what is right for you!

I thought about having weight loss surgery for at least 12 years signed up once and backed out. Now I'm self pay and in the last 5 years have really worked on my mental psychological stuff (underlying reasons I'm fat) and have decided that I deserve to be happier, thinner and buy cheap cute clothes. Take a inventory of the pros and cons and go from there

I'm sure that I am not the only one who has encountered those among their family and friends who tell you not to have surgery for weightloss. I understand their statement and care, but I would like to articulate why I believe I need to try something else. I'm now over 300 lbs in my middle-aged exsitence. I have tried several diets, but usually fall off the wagon due to a birthday, holiday, travel, etc. Does anyone out there have any good words that can help the thin ones understand why I am considering the the lap-band as a tool to help me?:help:

Tell them you are doing it to stay alive and then say don't you want me to live longer? That should do it! Anniemay:clap2:

I will be banded next month and I have only told a few people. Infact one friend I have know for 13years doesn't get to know because, they would be negative. I refuse to take my mom to my surgery date, and have choosen to take a friend because, she will support me. This is going to be my day the big day and I want it to go smooth.

My Boss knows and thinks I'm going to die or have complications. I told her that If I don't have this then I could, if I ever got any cor-morbid diseasaes to go along with being fat.

STAND STRONG AND DON'T RATIONALIZE TO MUCH WITH ANYONE. DO IT FOR YOU!!! AND GOOD LUCK!

Lapband is pretty safe it only lasts an hour, if you don't have I would bet you will be facing some major surgery in the future anyway and you'll be

older and it will be more risky.

Anniemay

My husband and I are thinking about lap band, both of us are 100+ overweight. We need to hear all the pro's and con's before we make our final decisions. We have gone to an instructional seminar in Idaho Fall where 3 doctors do the surgery and it told us all the good stuff and about the procedure, but I know there is more to it. Please give us some personal info from those of you who have been there and done that!

Well ,the only thing negative I can say is after I get a fill I throw up my food if it is not Soup or very soft for several weeks later. I just think that it's very hard to retrain your brain to eat differently after so long a time.

but, I am still glad I had it done because I simply could not lose weight

anymore on my own. Anniemay

This concern is why I have only told 3 people about my plans to get the band - my husband, and 2 of my best friends. As far as family, other friends and co-workers go what they don't know won't hurt them - and I don't have to listen to them. If at some point I want to tell them I will.

jewelsismelting, that's my plan, only a few people will know. i will tell everyone else, if they ask, "it's just a diet."

:thinkim so upset that i have gotten this big. I have a husband and 4 kids to think about and doing this seems to be the answer for me ? im doing research and hopefully will be making a decision soon. I am a diabetic with hypertension and need to change drastically. Any ideas where to go to for one on one personal questions.

:thinkim so upset that i have gotten this big. I have a husband and 4 kids to think about and doing this seems to be the answer for me ? im doing research and hopefully will be making a decision soon. I am a diabetic with hypertension and need to change drastically. Any ideas where to go to for one on one personal questions.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Don't for one minute think that you're alone. I'm sure there are tons of us on this board that have been where you are right now. I know I sometimes look in the mirror and think, "Wow...why did I let myself get to this point?!?!?!?"

You are doing great by researching the Band to see if it's an option for you. I know for me, it is the best decision. Check this link for more info/Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/

Also, to have one on one personal questions, you can Private Message (PM) someone or ask for his/her email address.

I hope this helps!!! Hope you're feeling better.

I only told my wife and kids and mom and dad no one ealse needs to know . People know i had my gallbladder out or so they think so and it working out just fine ITS NOBODY BUSINESS

I actually work at the hospital where I will be banded and even my peers are mostly negative about Lap-Band and the really sad part of it all is that they will be taking care of the banders post-op! They need education-education-education. Even the people who should be most supportive, are not always. I've been very open about banding for me. I just don't care about their opinions-they don't have to live in my body!

Spamela, I hope you are feeling better today! Make this decision about you. As a wife and mother of 4, I'm sure that you think you are being selfish. Just think of how much healthier you will be afterwards. Think of how much more energy you will have. It will help your physical AND mental health, making you a much happier person. So while it may seem selfish, really everyone around you will benefit. Hang in there!!! And trust your instincts!! I haven't met a mother yet without killer instincts!! ;)