Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

J, oh so glad to hear you are having a better time of it now!!! Def. bake Cookies and bribe her!!! I hate number sluts!! I hate numbers!!

I have semesters. So I just started and will be done right before Christmas and then start again after the new year and then go until May. I have this semester and then two more then I am done. Thank god.

D.

What model Madonna do you have? I am looking at the Pilot 2.1....it is around 1200. But....they are on a 2 month backorder....which is ok....and I dont have the money in hand.....so.....??? I have time too look around.

I came home early from work today...aaahhhhhhhh

No, seriously, my black male pom was sick, and I had to get some meds...BUT....I got a chicken dinner (breast and a leg) and macc and cheese for lunch.< /p>

I did not eat but just a little bite of the mac. and I put all the meat back from the breast...so I basiclly ate a leg. I am stressed, and It is hot, and I should of not done that...but....OH WELL...Too late now

Glad you are doing ok...we miss you being online all the time

is the trek 1000 a maddone? I am looking online, trying to find one...so I can test ride.

Ok, have to go get my husband from work...

It is the 1000. It is the entry level road bike. I didn't think I needed to get the all carbon for 1200 or more. I will never race it, except my DH. But, I will never race it, so the weight is no big deal to me. I got the three cranks too. Some of the other models come with only two, but we have big hills around here, so three it is for me. I miss being online all the time. I miss my friends. It is nice to come on though and read through everyones replies. I miss you all!!!

D - I have to say that it is cruel & heartless to break out the candy corn ticker :) God i love that shit (and the little melamine pumpkins, too), even though it's really flavored/colored plastic. No candy corn form me this year....

B

Ohhhh candy corn. Dammit don't y'all know I am addicted to sugar? I mean like literally addicted to sugar. I honestly never realized it before now. Just thought I liked the stuff a lot. Nope. Turns out I have an actual problem. I have been sober for nearly 20 hours now and I am going fucking crazy. I will never again think that smokers can just quit lighting up and drinkers can just quit drinking. This shit is hard.

HP I am super way jealous of your new bike.

I Dont Have A New Bike...i Am Just Looking.....i Still Dont Have The Money, Nor Have I Found The One I Want....i Am Wishing...lol

D...thanks....my Lbs Didnt Have That One At All??? All They Had Was A 2200, And The 2008 Models..

And The candy Corn Dont Get Me But A Mt Dew Sure Does.

I want to ride a bike, but I fear that none will support 360 pounds. Can someone recommend one that wouldn't cost a small fortune?

Yum carbs.

1 day sugar free.

I have an exercise victory here. I ran/walked one mile in 13 minutes and 37 seconds. Most of it was at 4.5 some walking at 3.5 and some running at 6.0! I have never done a mile in under 15 minutes so that is pretty amazing for me. Does anyone else get super excited about dripping with sweat after a workout?

HP I know this but you are still looking which puts you closer to a road bike than I ever will be lol. Now I have a car door to replace so there goes my bike fund lol.

frankthefrowner

Hi....if you go back through some of the post, allot of people have given some pretty good links to bikes that would be awesome for you. I started at 335, so I know what you mean and trying to get one afforadable, that is also good and made well, can be overwhelming.

I know allot of the people on here have wonderful knowledge and will be awesome helping you out..

Best of luck, and dont be a stranger on here...

Frank

Call your local bike shop, you can hypothetical on the phone, and ask them what they would recommend for someone such as yourself. Know what kind of riding you want to do, off road, on road...know your price range too. You'll be amazed at how people who bike love to share that passion with others. They'll take care of you and not give you greif. Promise.

Savery

bycyling is how Lou, who has all but disappeared from this thread months ago spelled bicycling. You'll find his other compelling threads on Rants and Raves....

We mock it regularly. But all in all we love bycyling...Bike-ill-ing...I'm guessing is how it is said.

You are welcome to join the discussion.

Frank,

Most any steel bike should be able to carry you. While bike from Walmart, Target, etc. will work, I recommend looking for a bike made by Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and other traditional bike brands. Each of these companies has steel hybrid bikes starting in the ~$350 range going up from there.

Another type of bike to consider is the recumbent bike. Sun Bicycles (www.sunbicycles.com) makes steel recumbent bikes that will support your weight, and which can be found starting around $600.

The advantage that these brands offer is that they are available from a Local Bicycle Shop (LBS), who will be able to help get them adjusted properly for you, and will be able to provide after-sale support.

Speaking as a fellow larger rider, the fit and adjustment of a bike is even more critical for us than for a typical small rider, due to the forces at play. A well adjusted bike should cause little discomfort to ride (your sit bones may hurt some at first), and should not cause undue stress on your joints. A poorly adjusted bike can cause a lot of stress, especially for your back, hands, wrists, and knees.

I'm not sure what type of riding you plan to do, but be wary of the single-speed "cruiser" bikes, and look for a multi-speed bike. The additional gearing will allow you to utilize your mechanical efforts more efficiently, and it may allow you to take the bike farther than you currently plan. I don't use all the gears on my bike, but the one that seems to get the most use is the granny gear to keep me moving up some hills.

In addition to a bike, make sure that you get a helmet (expensive helmets may be more aerodynamic, but anything over $25-30 will protect your noggin as well as a $100 helmet), here again, you will actually get more for your money from an LBS. I also highly recoomend proper bike shorts, the spandex kind. They do not have seams on the inside of your legs, they have padding to protect sensitive areas, and the material is designed to wick moisture away. (I have 1 pair of 4x and 2 pairs of 3x that have never been worn - PM me if you are interested).

I can't stress how important it is to visit the local bike shops. I went to several and spent about 4 hours at the shop I finally bought my bike from. The sales guy had me ride half-a-dozen bikes. Even though they were all similar on paper, there were several that just didn't fit right, a few more that fit okay, but didn't inspire me, and finally, I found the bike that fit right and whispered "ride me" in my ear. That's the bike I bought. Another advantage of visiting your LBS is that they may have a selection of used bikes, which will allow your bike-buying dollar to go a little farther, especially when you aren't sure where biking will end up taking you.

I hope that this is helpful, and I wish you the best for your biking future.

B